New Owner of a 2017 CB1100 EX

Kalamari_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all

This past Saturday I traded my Kawasaki 2018 Z900RS for a NEW 2017 Honda CB1100 EX. This was the Bike I wanted in 2018 and no dealers in the Chicagoland area would deal from MSRP. Needless to say, I was able to bring the price downa fair amount and received a decent value on my trade.

These bikes are pretty far apart in character and nature - but love them both. I will miss the "getaway" ability of the Z900 RS for sure - But wont miss the tall seat height and fuel delivery quirks (excessive engine breaking and snatchy throttle)

The CB is much more well behaved and will certainly not be teasing me to race off every stop (which is a good thing)

I really love the bike - but am thinking about buying another gas tank as I am not a big "red" guy. I was thinking black or dark grey metallic, maybe towards the end of the year. Anyone with any experience on swapping out tanks would be great to hear from or point to information I may need...

Thanks for your reading
Kurt

Thanks for your time
 
Welcome! So, traded a Z900RS for a CB1100? That is telling...
The Z900RS is my "don't look at it when you go in there, you'll just want it that much more" bike. And my wife had always slapped the price tag out of my hand when I lifted it up to glance at it anyway.

This is a very good analysis comparing the characteristics of the two bikes. Thank you for that. And for the validation that many of us made the right choice.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Welcome! So, traded a Z900RS for a CB1100? That is telling...
The Z900RS is my "don't look at it when you go in there, you'll just want it that much more" bike. And my wife had always slapped the price tag out of my hand when I lifted it up to glance at it anyway.

This is a very good analysis comparing the characteristics of the two bikes. Thank you for that. And for the validation that many of us made the right choice.

After putting about 2,000 miles on the Z900RS - I just realized that the bike was too "agitated" for me to ride all the time. I was seriously contemplating re-flashing the ECU to help tame the engine breaking and destabilization issues related to fuel delivery to get the bike to pass emission standards. I didn't want to flash the ECU prior to warranty expiration though - which happened in May. I did install a throttle tamer on the bike and that did really help me in controlling acceleration, but this only masks the issues of the stock fuel mapping when rolling back (slowing) the throttle - the bike nudges the rider forward pretty well (even in 6th gear doing 60mph).

For me though, the bigger issue became the seat height. I am 5 10 with a 32 inseam. The stock seat is comfortable but had me on my tip toes trying to grab the road at stops. I ordered the shorter seat from Kawasaki.... this really helps with reach and confidence at stops - BUT absolutely no padding (think a folded t-shirt). Also, my legs would cramp after an hour and because the lower seat has more of a carve out - you couldn't easily slide your butt back and use the entire seat.

That being said... I will miss the Z900RS... it can be great fun. I just wanted a more relaxed ride... so here I am.

Thanks
Kurt
 
Join date Jul 2013 .. 6 years ago. Welcome back lol.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Join date Jul 2013 .. 6 years ago. Welcome back lol.
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt
 
Kalamari_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Join date Jul 2013 .. 6 years ago. Welcome back lol.
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt Hi Kurt. Congratulations on the 2017. I too was not a Honda Red guy. I swapped out the stock fuel tank for one of the blue items they put on the European EXs models in 2018 (from Samurider), with matching OEM side panels added this spring. You have a number of color options, and the tank switch is fairly easy: unbolt, unhook fuel pump, remove tank, transfer pump and lid to new tank (with new gasket), reconnect pump and vents (kinda tight) and secure. There are threads here on how to do it, or your mechanic can make the switch in less than 30 minutes. I sold the essentially new red tank on Ebay and so the total price for the swap was only a couple hundred $$.

 
Thread starter
baxtercat_imp said:
Kalamari_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Join date Jul 2013 .. 6 years ago. Welcome back lol.
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt Hi Kurt. Congratulations on the 2017. I too was not a Honda Red guy. I swapped out the stock fuel tank for one of the blue items they put on the European EXs models in 2018 (from Samurider), with matching OEM side panels added this spring. You have a number of color options, and the tank switch is fairly easy: unbolt, unhook fuel pump, remove tank, transfer pump and lid to new tank (with new gasket), reconnect pump and vents (kinda tight) and secure. There are threads here on how to do it, or your mechanic can make the switch in less than 30 minutes. I sold the essentially new red tank on Ebay and so the total price for the swap was only a couple hundred $$.
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt Hi Kurt. Congratulations on the 2017. I too was not a Honda Red guy. I swapped out the stock fuel tank for one of the blue items they put on the European EXs models in 2018 (from Samurider), with matching OEM side panels added this spring. You have a number of color options, and the tank switch is fairly easy: unbolt, unhook fuel pump, remove tank, transfer pump and lid to new tank (with new gasket), reconnect pump and vents (kinda tight) and secure. There are threads here on how to do it, or your mechanic can make the switch in less than 30 minutes. I sold the essentially new red tank on Ebay and so the total price for the swap was only a couple hundred $$.

Baxtercat

Thanks much! That blue looks nice! I was thinking of the Heavy grey metallic tank with the black stripe.

Anyway, from the research I have done it looks mostly straight forward. I guess the fuel pump is attached to the tank? I understand the filler cap needs to be transferred. Is there a gasket replacement for the filler cap and Pump? I also many people indicating the PITA of the job to be disconnecting the fuel line clip? I would look to do this myself for sure and certainly sell the stock tank to recoup some cost back.

I appreciate the help and advise for sure

To me the red looks better in Pictures than in person... I have always liked black, and dark grey metallic colors on bikes best.

Thanks again
Kurt
 
Kalamari_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
Kalamari_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Join date Jul 2013 .. 6 years ago. Welcome back lol.
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt Hi Kurt. Congratulations on the 2017. I too was not a Honda Red guy. I swapped out the stock fuel tank for one of the blue items they put on the European EXs models in 2018 (from Samurider), with matching OEM side panels added this spring. You have a number of color options, and the tank switch is fairly easy: unbolt, unhook fuel pump, remove tank, transfer pump and lid to new tank (with new gasket), reconnect pump and vents (kinda tight) and secure. There are threads here on how to do it, or your mechanic can make the switch in less than 30 minutes. I sold the essentially new red tank on Ebay and so the total price for the swap was only a couple hundred $$.
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt Hi Kurt. Congratulations on the 2017. I too was not a Honda Red guy. I swapped out the stock fuel tank for one of the blue items they put on the European EXs models in 2018 (from Samurider), with matching OEM side panels added this spring. You have a number of color options, and the tank switch is fairly easy: unbolt, unhook fuel pump, remove tank, transfer pump and lid to new tank (with new gasket), reconnect pump and vents (kinda tight) and secure. There are threads here on how to do it, or your mechanic can make the switch in less than 30 minutes. I sold the essentially new red tank on Ebay and so the total price for the swap was only a couple hundred $$.

Baxtercat

Thanks much! That blue looks nice! I was thinking of the Heavy grey metallic tank with the black stripe.

Anyway, from the research I have done it looks mostly straight forward. I guess the fuel pump is attached to the tank? I understand the filler cap needs to be transferred. Is there a gasket replacement for the filler cap and Pump? I also many people indicating the PITA of the job to be disconnecting the fuel line clip? I would look to do this myself for sure and certainly sell the stock tank to recoup some cost back.

I appreciate the help and advise for sure

To me the red looks better in Pictures than in person... I have always liked black, and dark grey metallic colors on bikes best.

Thanks again
Kurt
yep - I totally forgot I created an account long ago when researching... I had my eye on the CB1100 for a long time. I was so certain I would buy one in 2013. Test rode one and just wasn't moved enough to part with my 2000 Saber for it at the time. I later become very interested again with the 2017 release... but couldn't find a dealer that would take anything less than msrp.

For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt Hi Kurt. Congratulations on the 2017. I too was not a Honda Red guy. I swapped out the stock fuel tank for one of the blue items they put on the European EXs models in 2018 (from Samurider), with matching OEM side panels added this spring. You have a number of color options, and the tank switch is fairly easy: unbolt, unhook fuel pump, remove tank, transfer pump and lid to new tank (with new gasket), reconnect pump and vents (kinda tight) and secure. There are threads here on how to do it, or your mechanic can make the switch in less than 30 minutes. I sold the essentially new red tank on Ebay and so the total price for the swap was only a couple hundred $$.

Baxtercat

Thanks much! That blue looks nice! I was thinking of the Heavy grey metallic tank with the black stripe.

Anyway, from the research I have done it looks mostly straight forward. I guess the fuel pump is attached to the tank? I understand the filler cap needs to be transferred. Is there a gasket replacement for the filler cap and Pump? I also many people indicating the PITA of the job to be disconnecting the fuel line clip? I would look to do this myself for sure and certainly sell the stock tank to recoup some cost back.

I appreciate the help and advise for sure

To me the red looks better in Pictures than in person... I have always liked black, and dark grey metallic colors on bikes best.

Thanks again
Kurt Yes, the black, silver and the grey metallic are all very classy. A white tank with matching covers is also pretty distinctive, in my opinion. The stock red is quite nice for a red, but I like the idea of customizing with OEM parts. Honda should have just offered us more than one color, since they had them made up anyway and they're easy enough for dealers to pop on.

the fuel lid is straightforward to remove and replace. I don't remember replacing a gasket there. the fuel pump is attached to the bottom of the tank; first you drain it, disconnect the fiddly fuel line, connectors, vent lines with the back of the tank slightly raised, remove the tank, unbolt the pump from the bottom and carefully detach it and the float. installation is the reverse, with a new gasket on the bottom (they crush, so why take chances?) if you have a service manual, it will give you the torque specs and steps, and the threads here offer the secret of the not--that-intuitive connectors. you need to be careful not to pinch the vent lines when positioning the new tank.

good luck and post pictures when you get the project done.
 
Welcome back, Kalamari, and congratulations on the new bike.
 
Kalamari_imp said:
Hello all

This past Saturday I traded my Kawasaki 2018 Z900RS for a NEW 2017 Honda CB1100 EX. This was the Bike I wanted in 2018 and no dealers in the Chicagoland area would deal from MSRP. Needless to say, I was able to bring the price downa fair amount and received a decent value on my trade.

These bikes are pretty far apart in character and nature - but love them both. I will miss the "getaway" ability of the Z900 RS for sure - But wont miss the tall seat height and fuel delivery quirks (excessive engine breaking and snatchy throttle)

The CB is much more well behaved and will certainly not be teasing me to race off every stop (which is a good thing)

I really love the bike - but am thinking about buying another gas tank as I am not a big "red" guy. I was thinking black or dark grey metallic, maybe towards the end of the year. Anyone with any experience on swapping out tanks would be great to hear from or point to information I may need...

Thanks for your reading
Kurt

Thanks for your time
Huh, ..., thanks for that useful perspective of the Z900RS Kalamari.
 
welcome back Kalamari.i struggled months back with buying a Z900 or a cb1100. speed or comfort. i think i did the right thing. i bought a new cb1100ex. comfortable and safer.
 
[/QUOTE]
For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt
[/QUOTE]

That's a nice turnaround Kurt, interesting you still prefer the cb1100, i wonder if you ever got used to the exhaust square cat thing?

And don't be shy to post some pictures of the cb350f, it was the nicest running engine of the three timeless cb's and it just purred, it just was not grunty enough for me at the time for longer rides.
Off to some more memorable rides on the cb1100, congratulations!
 
Thread starter
For what its worth, I have a many memories of riding on the back of my dads CBs from the 70's (550 and 750)

My second bike is a 74 CB350F which I continue to maintain... painstakingly.

Thanks
Kurt
[/QUOTE]

That's a nice turnaround Kurt, interesting you still prefer the cb1100, i wonder if you ever got used to the exhaust square cat thing?

And don't be shy to post some pictures of the cb350f, it was the nicest running engine of the three timeless cb's and it just purred, it just was not grunty enough for me at the time for longer rides.
Off to some more memorable rides on the cb1100, congratulations!
[/QUOTE]

If the Z900RS sat about 1.5 inches shorter... I would have flashed the ecu to address the fuel delivery issues and hung on to it. The exhaust was nice minus the catalytic box... I added the center stand so that kind of distracted the unit. My only cosmetic gripes were the front brake fluid reservoir, the front fender brackets, and the turn signals...

Will do with the pics of both bikes... maybe looking for someone to take over on the 350f... I’ve had it for 20 years(learned on it) and it only has 5k on it. It’s nice to ride around locally for sure... but requires much attention to keep up with.

Thanks
Kurt
 
I'm thinking of a smaller 'bike for me, after the CB and the Beemer go. I'm getting older now and not nearly as strong as I once was, so bigger 'bikes are going to become problematic. An old CB400 Four is what I fancy (the 350 wasn't officially imported here, though we're now getting a few shipped over from the US). Not sat on a 550 so not sure how it "feels". Failing that, an old Yamaha YDS3,. my first new 'bike from 1965, would be good - a memory trip with every ride! :)
 
Kalamari_imp said:
Hello all

This past Saturday I traded my Kawasaki 2018 Z900RS for a NEW 2017 Honda CB1100 EX. This was the Bike I wanted in 2018 and no dealers in the Chicagoland area would deal from MSRP. Needless to say, I was able to bring the price downa fair amount and received a decent value on my trade.

These bikes are pretty far apart in character and nature - but love them both. I will miss the "getaway" ability of the Z900 RS for sure - But wont miss the tall seat height and fuel delivery quirks (excessive engine breaking and snatchy throttle)

The CB is much more well behaved and will certainly not be teasing me to race off every stop (which is a good thing)

I really love the bike - but am thinking about buying another gas tank as I am not a big "red" guy. I was thinking black or dark grey metallic, maybe towards the end of the year. Anyone with any experience on swapping out tanks would be great to hear from or point to information I may need...

Thanks for your reading
Kurt

Thanks for your time
Have you thought about painting the tank instead? You can make it yours so to speak and make it original. Find a painter and or artist to help you with design ideas.
 
Dear Sirs:
I also want to be a new 2017 CB1100 EX Owner.
If somebody knows where to find one brand new please let me know.
I think there are some new ones hidden at sone Honda dealer.
Thak you.
Silas
 
Back
Top