Like New 2014s for Half the Price of a New 2017 EX

Dave Swanson

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am casting around for another CB1100. I do appreciate what the 2017 EX has to offer over the standard 2014, but at double the price ~$5000 for the minty 2014 with less than 1000 miles vs ~$10,000 for the new 2017EX I am having a hard time justifying the new one. I just thought this is the best place to commiserate! Your opinions would be welcome.
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
I am casting around for another CB1100. I do appreciate what the 2017 EX has to offer over the standard 2014, but at double the price ~$5000 for the minty 2014 with less than 1000 miles vs ~$10,000 for the new 2017EX I am having a hard time justifying the new one. I just thought this is the best place to commiserate! Your opinions would be welcome.
Hi Dave,
last year I had the same doubt. A 2018 EX new ex vs. 2013 CB in mint conditions at half price. I've bought the 2013 CB, also if 5 speed. After one year, I think I've made the right decision.
Greets from Italy

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
 
I agree. For a price-conscious buyer like yourself, a minty used '14 is a better value. For those who want the latest model, the value proposition is less of a consideration. It all depends on what you value most, but with your statement "I am having a hard time justifying the new one," I think it's pretty clear. And there's nothing wrong with that.
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
I am casting around for another CB1100. I do appreciate what the 2017 EX has to offer over the standard 2014, but at double the price ~$5000 for the minty 2014 with less than 1000 miles vs ~$10,000 for the new 2017EX I am having a hard time justifying the new one. I just thought this is the best place to commiserate! Your opinions would be welcome.
I'd vote for the 2014. Performance and handling are about the same. 2014 is lighter, a little easier to get on the centerstand, a a lot easier to keep clean, and tubeless tires. The 2017 has a little larger tank, and a better headlight, and ABS.

But the biggest factor for me is the cost. In a couple years, the unsold 2017s will be hugely discounted to dealers like the 2014s were, and you'll see it drop $4-5k overnight. Remember, they're already 2 model year old.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Dave Swanson_imp said:
I am casting around for another CB1100. I do appreciate what the 2017 EX has to offer over the standard 2014, but at double the price ~$5000 for the minty 2014 with less than 1000 miles vs ~$10,000 for the new 2017EX I am having a hard time justifying the new one. I just thought this is the best place to commiserate! Your opinions would be welcome.
I'd vote for the 2014. Performance and handling are about the same. 2014 is lighter, a little easier to get on the centerstand, a a lot easier to keep clean, and tubeless tires. The 2017 has a little larger tank, and a better headlight, and ABS.

But the biggest factor for me is the cost. In a couple years, the unsold 2017s will be hugely discounted to dealers like the 2014s were, and you'll see it drop $4-5k overnight. Remember, they're already 2 model year old.
Good point pekingduck and one I hadn't considered before. I just might be tempted to get another one if that's the case!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the thoughtful replies so far!


Besides price I have these thoughts.

2014. I prefer the style, cast wheels, and 4-1 pipes.

2017. I prefer the ABS (big plus in my mind), chrome pipes.
 
Dave Swanson_imp said:
Thanks for the thoughtful replies so far!


Besides price I have these thoughts.

2014. I prefer the style, cast wheels, and 4-1 pipes.

2017. I prefer the ABS (big plus in my mind), chrome pipes.
Mine is a CB1100 ABS. I love this bike for the "small" red tank with black and silver stripes, the "big" turn lights, the "comstar" styled wheels and 4 in 1 exhaust.
This is my first bike with ABS after 37 years of riding. I've started to squeeze the brake lever only with it, but never I can't feel the ABS starting to reduce brake power. I think it is due to high weight of the bike. Better that you listen the opinion of a no-ABS owner.

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
 
First off Fabrimtb verify yours ia a 2013 ABS as they are really rare and many 2013s were sold to customers as having abs that did not have it. There should be an slotted disc on BOTH wheels, a crossover hose from left to right side of front wheel on back of front fender and an abs light that comes on when you start it that goes out at 6 mph.

If it has all that it is an abs model and you can trust that they work, but the threshhold is high for activating and activation is smooth in use.
 
The ferret_imp said:
First off Fabrimtb verify yours ia a 2013 ABS as they are really rare and many 2013s were sold to customers as having abs that did not have it. There should be an slotted disc on BOTH wheels, a crossover hose from left to right side of front wheel on back of front fender and an abs light that comes on when you start it that goes out at 6 mph.

If it has all that it is an abs model and you can trust that they work, but the threshhold is high for activating and activation is smooth in use.
Yes Ferret, mine is a 2013 abs model described as you wrote. It's an European model, with silver engine and wheels, very similar to DLX model not imported in Europe

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
 
Ooh silver engine and wheels ...nice. Im still amazed how many iterations there are of the CB1100.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ooh silver engine and wheels ...nice. Im still amazed how many iterations there are of the CB1100.
One picture...
40b9e883a99adf0a20496e2d13fc4ff0.jpg


Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
 
Any chance you could post a good picture of the other side, especially of the front wheel?
 
Dave--It really is a question of what things are most important to you, and what you are willing (or able) to pay to have them. I had a 13 that I traded in for a new 17. There are many things on the list that are upgrades--better suspension, slipper clutch, LED lights, bigger tank, better seat and yes ABS.
There are other things I simply liked--the double walled chrome headers and 4 into 2, the engine color, the shape of the tank and the spokes, which come at a price in practicality but say "retro" to me better than anything. Are these things worth $5K? That's up to you. I wanted the best version of the CB 1100 available to me, which in my view was the EX; the money seemed to be an obstacle until about a day or two after purchase, and then I knew I would be happier with this bike than with my old CB and cash.

Pekingduck may be right about price reductions on the EX in the future. Or not. They are already being discounted, and if dealers sell the available inventory at these prices, they will be gone and no 1/2 price deals will ever materialize. Used 17s are starting to appear. Last time around, it appears Honda sold enough of the 13s in the US market to bring the bike back in DLX and 14 standard forms. The relatively few DLXs sold well; the standards did not, leaving them with many bikes they had to sell at huge discount. They did not repeat this mistake with an 18 or 19 model that would compete with dealer inventory of 17s. So, depending on your nerve and patience, I would not count on a repeat of what happened with the 14 standards. For me it's hard to monetize the cost of waiting and not having the bike I wanted.
 
The ferret_imp said:
First off Fabrimtb verify yours ia a 2013 ABS as they are really rare and many 2013s were sold to customers as having abs that did not have it. There should be an slotted disc on BOTH wheels, a crossover hose from left to right side of front wheel on back of front fender and an abs light that comes on when you start it that goes out at 6 mph.

If it has all that it is an abs model and you can trust that they work, but the threshhold is high for activating and activation is smooth in use.
I guess, this is true for the American market. I think, all Europe models from 2013 on have ABS. If I recall correct it was mandatory by European law.
 
I got lucky and found a new 14 STD leftover at my local dealer for $5,999.00 last September. I could not be any happier with my choice. Love the bike, love the looks.
 
baxtercat_imp said:
Dave--It really is a question of what things are most important to you, and what you are willing (or able) to pay to have them. I had a 13 that I traded in for a new 17. There are many things on the list that are upgrades--better suspension, slipper clutch, LED lights, bigger tank, better seat and yes ABS.
There are other things I simply liked--the double walled chrome headers and 4 into 2, the engine color, the shape of the tank and the spokes, which come at a price in practicality but say "retro" to me better than anything. Are these things worth $5K? That's up to you. I wanted the best version of the CB 1100 available to me, which in my view was the EX; the money seemed to be an obstacle until about a day or two after purchase, and then I knew I would be happier with this bike than with my old CB and cash.

Pekingduck may be right about price reductions on the EX in the future. Or not. They are already being discounted, and if dealers sell the available inventory at these prices, they will be gone and no 1/2 price deals will ever materialize. Used 17s are starting to appear. Last time around, it appears Honda sold enough of the 13s in the US market to bring the bike back in DLX and 14 standard forms. The relatively few DLXs sold well; the standards did not, leaving them with many bikes they had to sell at huge discount. They did not repeat this mistake with an 18 or 19 model that would compete with dealer inventory of 17s. So, depending on your nerve and patience, I would not count on a repeat of what happened with the 14 standards. For me it's hard to monetize the cost of waiting and not having the bike I wanted.
Those of us that were early adopters of this model knew all too well we'd be paying more for them,but waiting a year or two for discounted prices seemed foolish and we rode them for years before the market went down.
 
Getting a "new" '14 at the discount price is an excellent value play. You won't be disappointed. If you want the latest model, you won't be disappointed either.
 
Fabrimtb_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Ooh silver engine and wheels ...nice. Im still amazed how many iterations there are of the CB1100.
One picture...
40b9e883a99adf0a20496e2d13fc4ff0.jpg


Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
One picture...
f9c3a3e24e8118624a41429fe43bd268.jpg


Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

Wow some rlets , matching side covers and chrome head pipes away from perfection
 
Back
Top