Let's Make a Deal

evanworld_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I found the motorcycle for me - it's the one you all know and love. Next step, go buy it and share great stories with you all. Getting to a purchase is pretty straight forward - or so I thought. Last week I emailed RFQ to 5 Puget Sound dealers and received a quote back in a couple cases and a few rubber stamp "c'mon in and talk to us. We'll beat any deal and we wanna earn your..." You know the rest.

Here's my reply:

"Thank you for reaching out DEALER X. While I appreciate the owners interest in making a deal, my request is pretty simple - a line item quote on the motorcycle. I'm not going to have a conversation with any dealership that does not give me the quote that I requested. Every dealership has unique inventory and risks and sales targets. I work long hours and just don't have time to visit 5 dealerships to deal. If you have the inventory for the CB1100 and want to sell me a motorcycle, please submit me a competitive quote per my original request. Also I am not pitting dealer against dealer by sharing quotes.

If you do not want to provide a quote, I will consider a dealership who will - and I have 2 quotes in hand; one competitive, one not. Toss your hat in the ring your chances are good."

He didn't respond.

I understand market/demand and sometimes you gotta pony up MSRP if you want the bike - and I know the CB1100 is fantastic. Yet there are CBs on showroom floors today and it's fair to ask for a quote. The Honda site prompts you to ask for a friggin quote, yet most dealers ice you when you submit the request.

For those in the market, hold steady and get the deal you deserve. For those with a CB1100 in your garage or on your street, God speed. Hope to join you soon.
 
evanworld_imp said:
I found the motorcycle for me - it's the one you all know and love. Next step, go buy it and share great stories with you all. Getting to a purchase is pretty straight forward - or so I thought. Last week I emailed RFQ to 5 Puget Sound dealers and received a quote back in a couple cases and a few rubber stamp "c'mon in and talk to us. We'll beat any deal and we wanna earn your..." You know the rest.

Here's my reply:

"Thank you for reaching out DEALER X. While I appreciate the owners interest in making a deal, my request is pretty simple - a line item quote on the motorcycle. I'm not going to have a conversation with any dealership that does not give me the quote that I requested. Every dealership has unique inventory and risks and sales targets. I work long hours and just don't have time to visit 5 dealerships to deal. If you have the inventory for the CB1100 and want to sell me a motorcycle, please submit me a competitive quote per my original request. Also I am not pitting dealer against dealer by sharing quotes.

If you do not want to provide a quote, I will consider a dealership who will - and I have 2 quotes in hand; one competitive, one not. Toss your hat in the ring your chances are good."

He didn't respond.

I understand market/demand and sometimes you gotta pony up MSRP if you want the bike - and I know the CB1100 is fantastic. Yet there are CBs on showroom floors today and it's fair to ask for a quote. The Honda site prompts you to ask for a friggin quote, yet most dealers ice you when you submit the request.

For those in the market, hold steady and get the deal you deserve. For those with a CB1100 in your garage or on your street, God speed. Hope to join you soon.
Sounds like a frustrating process!

I worked in the motor trade some years back and I think a lot of this behaviour is conditioned from industry training techniques which are geared towards getting face to face with 'prospects'.

We were discouraged from giving prices over the phone (pre email) and were told if the guy was sat in front of you, you had a MUCH better chance of selling to them than anyone else...go figure.

I reserve the same contempt for this attitude as you do. I absolutely hate shops where nothing has a price on the shelf or the item and one has to ask the man behind the counter every single time. I went into an automotive spares shop that used to have the old fashioned paper price stickers on all their tools, oil etc. I used to spend a lot in there on impulse, because the price looked good.

Now they have nothing, so you either have to ask, or take it up to the counter and hope for the best. When I asked the guy in there why this was, he explained 'we get new ranges in all the time, so it'd be impossible to keep track of prices' yeah right ..

I walked out, and won't go back.
 
Thread starter
Great points. I do realize and appreciate the pressures facing dealers - there are rude and aloof customers out in the world and a ton of time wasting. Yet I'm trying to come at this as authentically as possible. I stated I'm serious and ready to buy and it's not a good feeling to get the brush off from dealers and I'm certainly not motivated to drive 20 miles when they hand me a hollow line. I'm not a natural negotiator and don't enjoy the haggling - yet I respect an honest quote and engagement. I'm just not giving hard-earned money to a dealer who insults me out of the gate.
 
Nice avatar, Evan. Maybe you should stick with that.

Seriously? Keep going. At some point the smart ones who want to deal will realise you're serious.

Good luck.
 
evanworld_imp said:
Great points. I do realize and appreciate the pressures facing dealers - there are rude and aloof customers out in the world and a ton of time wasting. Yet I'm trying to come at this as authentically as possible. I stated I'm serious and ready to buy and it's not a good feeling to get the brush off from dealers and I'm certainly not motivated to drive 20 miles when they hand me a hollow line. I'm not a natural negotiator and don't enjoy the haggling - yet I respect an honest quote and engagement. I'm just not giving hard-earned money to a dealer who insults me out of the gate.
Coming at it from the other side of the fence it may be that these dealers feel you're getting a fist full of quotes together to use as a bargaining tool for getting a super deal from your local or preferred dealer. This happens a lot, in all industries.

You might find a better strategy is to phone each dealer in turn and ask for the sales manager specifically.

I would go at it along the lines of "hi, may I just make it clear, I'm not a time waster, I'm not a tyre kicker, I've got the money ready and I'm in a position to buy. I want a CB1100 in (insert colour), I will speak to a few other dealers and you'll all have the opportunity to give me a deal. Whoever offers the most attractive deal will get a deposit today and a signature on the dotted line tomorrow. No Dutch auction, no funny business. What can you do for me (insert first name)....... Then remain silent..


Good luck, let us know how it goes...
 
Tortuga_imp said:
evanworld_imp said:
I found the motorcycle for me - it's the one you all know and love. Next step, go buy it and share great stories with you all. Getting to a purchase is pretty straight forward - or so I thought. Last week I emailed RFQ to 5 Puget Sound dealers and received a quote back in a couple cases and a few rubber stamp "c'mon in and talk to us. We'll beat any deal and we wanna earn your..." You know the rest.

Here's my reply:

"Thank you for reaching out DEALER X. While I appreciate the owners interest in making a deal, my request is pretty simple - a line item quote on the motorcycle. I'm not going to have a conversation with any dealership that does not give me the quote that I requested. Every dealership has unique inventory and risks and sales targets. I work long hours and just don't have time to visit 5 dealerships to deal. If you have the inventory for the CB1100 and want to sell me a motorcycle, please submit me a competitive quote per my original request. Also I am not pitting dealer against dealer by sharing quotes.

If you do not want to provide a quote, I will consider a dealership who will - and I have 2 quotes in hand; one competitive, one not. Toss your hat in the ring your chances are good."

He didn't respond.

I understand market/demand and sometimes you gotta pony up MSRP if you want the bike - and I know the CB1100 is fantastic. Yet there are CBs on showroom floors today and it's fair to ask for a quote. The Honda site prompts you to ask for a friggin quote, yet most dealers ice you when you submit the request.

For those in the market, hold steady and get the deal you deserve. For those with a CB1100 in your garage or on your street, God speed. Hope to join you soon.
Sounds like a frustrating process!

I worked in the motor trade some years back and I think a lot of this behaviour is conditioned from industry training techniques which are geared towards getting face to face with 'prospects'.

We were discouraged from giving prices over the phone (pre email) and were told if the guy was sat in front of you, you had a MUCH better chance of selling to them than anyone else...go figure.

I reserve the same contempt for this attitude as you do. I absolutely hate shops where nothing has a price on the shelf or the item and one has to ask the man behind the counter every single time. I went into an automotive spares shop that used to have the old fashioned paper price stickers on all their tools, oil etc. I used to spend a lot in there on impulse, because the price looked good.

Now they have nothing, so you either have to ask, or take it up to the counter and hope for the best. When I asked the guy in there why this was, he explained 'we get new ranges in all the time, so it'd be impossible to keep track of prices' yeah right ..

I walked out, and won't go back.
I was in a shop the other day, and there was not a price sticker on anything. Frustrating.

Tortuga_imp said:
evanworld_imp said:
Great points. I do realize and appreciate the pressures facing dealers - there are rude and aloof customers out in the world and a ton of time wasting. Yet I'm trying to come at this as authentically as possible. I stated I'm serious and ready to buy and it's not a good feeling to get the brush off from dealers and I'm certainly not motivated to drive 20 miles when they hand me a hollow line. I'm not a natural negotiator and don't enjoy the haggling - yet I respect an honest quote and engagement. I'm just not giving hard-earned money to a dealer who insults me out of the gate.
Coming at it from the other side of the fence it may be that these dealers feel you're getting a fist full of quotes together to use as a bargaining tool for getting a super deal from your local or preferred dealer. This happens a lot, in all industries.

You might find a better strategy is to phone each dealer in turn and ask for the sales manager specifically.

I would go at it along the lines of "hi, may I just make it clear, I'm not a time waster, I'm not a tyre kicker, I've got the money ready and I'm in a position to buy. I want a CB1100 in (insert colour), I will speak to a few other dealers and you'll all have the opportunity to give me a deal. Whoever offers the most attractive deal will get a deposit today and a signature on the dotted line tomorrow. No Dutch auction, no funny business. What can you do for me (insert first name)....... Then remain silent..


Good luck, let us know how it goes...
Excellent advice Tortuga and I like how you worded it. :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
evanworld_imp said:
I found the motorcycle for me - it's the one you all know and love. Next step, go buy it and share great stories with you all. Getting to a purchase is pretty straight forward - or so I thought. Last week I emailed RFQ to 5 Puget Sound dealers and received a quote back in a couple cases and a few rubber stamp "c'mon in and talk to us. We'll beat any deal and we wanna earn your..." You know the rest.

Here's my reply:

"Thank you for reaching out DEALER X. While I appreciate the owners interest in making a deal, my request is pretty simple - a line item quote on the motorcycle. I'm not going to have a conversation with any dealership that does not give me the quote that I requested. Every dealership has unique inventory and risks and sales targets. I work long hours and just don't have time to visit 5 dealerships to deal. If you have the inventory for the CB1100 and want to sell me a motorcycle, please submit me a competitive quote per my original request. Also I am not pitting dealer against dealer by sharing quotes.

If you do not want to provide a quote, I will consider a dealership who will - and I have 2 quotes in hand; one competitive, one not. Toss your hat in the ring your chances are good."

He didn't respond.

I understand market/demand and sometimes you gotta pony up MSRP if you want the bike - and I know the CB1100 is fantastic. Yet there are CBs on showroom floors today and it's fair to ask for a quote. The Honda site prompts you to ask for a friggin quote, yet most dealers ice you when you submit the request.

For those in the market, hold steady and get the deal you deserve. For those with a CB1100 in your garage or on your street, God speed. Hope to join you soon.
Sounds like a frustrating process!

I worked in the motor trade some years back and I think a lot of this behaviour is conditioned from industry training techniques which are geared towards getting face to face with 'prospects'.

We were discouraged from giving prices over the phone (pre email) and were told if the guy was sat in front of you, you had a MUCH better chance of selling to them than anyone else...go figure.

I reserve the same contempt for this attitude as you do. I absolutely hate shops where nothing has a price on the shelf or the item and one has to ask the man behind the counter every single time. I went into an automotive spares shop that used to have the old fashioned paper price stickers on all their tools, oil etc. I used to spend a lot in there on impulse, because the price looked good.

Now they have nothing, so you either have to ask, or take it up to the counter and hope for the best. When I asked the guy in there why this was, he explained 'we get new ranges in all the time, so it'd be impossible to keep track of prices' yeah right ..

I walked out, and won't go back.
I was in a shop the other day, and there was not a price sticker on anything. Frustrating.

Tortuga_imp said:
evanworld_imp said:
Great points. I do realize and appreciate the pressures facing dealers - there are rude and aloof customers out in the world and a ton of time wasting. Yet I'm trying to come at this as authentically as possible. I stated I'm serious and ready to buy and it's not a good feeling to get the brush off from dealers and I'm certainly not motivated to drive 20 miles when they hand me a hollow line. I'm not a natural negotiator and don't enjoy the haggling - yet I respect an honest quote and engagement. I'm just not giving hard-earned money to a dealer who insults me out of the gate.
Coming at it from the other side of the fence it may be that these dealers feel you're getting a fist full of quotes together to use as a bargaining tool for getting a super deal from your local or preferred dealer. This happens a lot, in all industries.

You might find a better strategy is to phone each dealer in turn and ask for the sales manager specifically.

I would go at it along the lines of "hi, may I just make it clear, I'm not a time waster, I'm not a tyre kicker, I've got the money ready and I'm in a position to buy. I want a CB1100 in (insert colour), I will speak to a few other dealers and you'll all have the opportunity to give me a deal. Whoever offers the most attractive deal will get a deposit today and a signature on the dotted line tomorrow. No Dutch auction, no funny business. What can you do for me (insert first name)....... Then remain silent..


Good luck, let us know how it goes...
Excellent advice Tortuga and I like how you worded it. :thumbsup:
I was in a shop the other day, and there was not a price sticker on anything. Frustrating.

Tortuga_imp said:
evanworld_imp said:
Great points. I do realize and appreciate the pressures facing dealers - there are rude and aloof customers out in the world and a ton of time wasting. Yet I'm trying to come at this as authentically as possible. I stated I'm serious and ready to buy and it's not a good feeling to get the brush off from dealers and I'm certainly not motivated to drive 20 miles when they hand me a hollow line. I'm not a natural negotiator and don't enjoy the haggling - yet I respect an honest quote and engagement. I'm just not giving hard-earned money to a dealer who insults me out of the gate.
Coming at it from the other side of the fence it may be that these dealers feel you're getting a fist full of quotes together to use as a bargaining tool for getting a super deal from your local or preferred dealer. This happens a lot, in all industries.

You might find a better strategy is to phone each dealer in turn and ask for the sales manager specifically.

I would go at it along the lines of "hi, may I just make it clear, I'm not a time waster, I'm not a tyre kicker, I've got the money ready and I'm in a position to buy. I want a CB1100 in (insert colour), I will speak to a few other dealers and you'll all have the opportunity to give me a deal. Whoever offers the most attractive deal will get a deposit today and a signature on the dotted line tomorrow. No Dutch auction, no funny business. What can you do for me (insert first name)....... Then remain silent..


Good luck, let us know how it goes...
Excellent advice Tortuga and I like how you worded it. :thumbsup:
Hehe, I'll be honest, I modelled it on the famous Liam Neeson line from the film "Taken"

"Bryan Mills: I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."
 
Excellent movie and I think you nailed the quote word for word. Good memory.
 
I am sure that the Deluxe dealer cost is very close to 10k maybe a little less, with that said I believe a profit of 1k is more than fair.If you pay around 11k plus your local tax and tags only and no other BS fees that you are getting a fair deal.I know some paid less and some paid more,when I first decided to order a DLX a dealer that is known to give a good price without all the BS told me 10,900 + T&T only.I also realize that all dealers do not do the same deals....Just my 2 cents...:biker:
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
I am sure that the Deluxe dealer cost is very close to 10k maybe a little less, with that said I believe a profit of 1k is more than fair.If you pay around 11k plus your local tax and tags only and no other BS fees that you are getting a fair deal.I know some paid less and some paid more,when I first decided to order a DLX a dealer that is known to give a good price without all the BS told me 10,900 + T&T only.I also realize that all dealers do not do the same deals....Just my 2 cents...:biker:

Being in business I'll tell you that I can see both sides to this. First and foremost the buyer CERTAINLY has the right to do business like this. From the dealers perspective I think most dealers would already know who is going to offer the lowest price and they may just elect to not compete. I personally am not looking for the best price first. I have established a "relationship" with Twiggs in Hagerstown. When I walk thru the door I am a greeted by the staff from the parts guy to the owner with a friendly "hello John" and essentially the door is always open to test ride any bike on the floor. Deals? I have always felt I was treated well and I am given a good price on trades with little or no haggling. Did I get the lowest price possible? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I appreciate the friendly relationship and I not only want to be treated well financially but I also want the dealership to do well. Shopping for vehicles can be a competitive sport but it's not one I really wish to play. If it costs me $500 extra to have the dealership on my side and backing me up if there would ever be a problem I'll be happy to pay the extra. I know my position might be a bit unusual but in my business I'd just as soon pass on the person looking for the best price only. However if you take advantage of me once it will not happen the second time. I have a trusting relationship with my dealership and they with me. Makes it nice.
 
Hmmm...seems odd, why not try to build a relationship with your favorite local dealer and get the best price you can from them? I'm not so sure if I was a dealer if you are the type of customer I would want anyway....from their point of view, you may not be worth the trouble and do not seem like you would be very loyal......you can't bully someone into doing something how you want, even if it seems logical to you.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
evanworld_imp said:
Great points. I do realize and appreciate the pressures facing dealers - there are rude and aloof customers out in the world and a ton of time wasting. Yet I'm trying to come at this as authentically as possible. I stated I'm serious and ready to buy and it's not a good feeling to get the brush off from dealers and I'm certainly not motivated to drive 20 miles when they hand me a hollow line. I'm not a natural negotiator and don't enjoy the haggling - yet I respect an honest quote and engagement. I'm just not giving hard-earned money to a dealer who insults me out of the gate.
Coming at it from the other side of the fence it may be that these dealers feel you're getting a fist full of quotes together to use as a bargaining tool for getting a super deal from your local or preferred dealer. This happens a lot, in all industries.

You might find a better strategy is to phone each dealer in turn and ask for the sales manager specifically.

I would go at it along the lines of "hi, may I just make it clear, I'm not a time waster, I'm not a tyre kicker, I've got the money ready and I'm in a position to buy. I want a CB1100 in (insert colour), I will speak to a few other dealers and you'll all have the opportunity to give me a deal. Whoever offers the most attractive deal will get a deposit today and a signature on the dotted line tomorrow. No Dutch auction, no funny business. What can you do for me (insert first name)....... Then remain silent..


Good luck, let us know how it goes...
+1
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
I am sure that the Deluxe dealer cost is very close to 10k maybe a little less, with that said I believe a profit of 1k is more than fair.If you pay around 11k plus your local tax and tags only and no other BS fees that you are getting a fair deal.I know some paid less and some paid more,when I first decided to order a DLX a dealer that is known to give a good price without all the BS told me 10,900 + T&T only.I also realize that all dealers do not do the same deals....Just my 2 cents...:biker:

Being in business I'll tell you that I can see both sides to this. First and foremost the buyer CERTAINLY has the right to do business like this. From the dealers perspective I think most dealers would already know who is going to offer the lowest price and they may just elect to not compete. I personally am not looking for the best price first. I have established a "relationship" with Twiggs in Hagerstown. When I walk thru the door I am a greeted by the staff from the parts guy to the owner with a friendly "hello John" and essentially the door is always open to test ride any bike on the floor. Deals? I have always felt I was treated well and I am given a good price on trades with little or no haggling. Did I get the lowest price possible? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I appreciate the friendly relationship and I not only want to be treated well financially but I also want the dealership to do well. Shopping for vehicles can be a competitive sport but it's not one I really wish to play. If it costs me $500 extra to have the dealership on my side and backing me up if there would ever be a problem I'll be happy to pay the extra. I know my position might be a bit unusual but in my business I'd just as soon pass on the person looking for the best price only. However if you take advantage of me once it will not happen the second time. I have a trusting relationship with my dealership and they with me. Makes it nice.
I fully agree.
Trust me, I don't want to pay any more for anything that I have to, but I've owned about 40 or so cars now - and who knows how many bikes - so my knowledge of the buying and after-the-sale-support process is pretty well-honed...and the "big picture" is just as important to me as price.
Luckily, both price and support played into my purchase of the CB. My local Honda-Yamaha dealer is one that I'd developed a sort of relationship with over the last few years, having bought an FZ1 from them, and they'd done the servicing on that, and had also helped me out on my old '76 CB550 cafe bike.
So even though there's a multi-brand Mega-store only about 10 minutes further down the freeway, I went in to them first to talk some sincere, no-nonsense business when I'd decided on the CB. Their price tag reflected separate freight and set-up charges, but those were dropped with little negotiation, and they accepted my fairly reasonable "out the door" price offer, and I rode it home that day...with the added peace of mind that I'd dealt with folks that I not only enjoyed doing business with, but will also be there for me and the bike in the future. It's a win-win. :D
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
I am sure that the Deluxe dealer cost is very close to 10k maybe a little less, with that said I believe a profit of 1k is more than fair.If you pay around 11k plus your local tax and tags only and no other BS fees that you are getting a fair deal.I know some paid less and some paid more,when I first decided to order a DLX a dealer that is known to give a good price without all the BS told me 10,900 + T&T only.I also realize that all dealers do not do the same deals....Just my 2 cents...:biker:

Being in business I'll tell you that I can see both sides to this. First and foremost the buyer CERTAINLY has the right to do business like this. From the dealers perspective I think most dealers would already know who is going to offer the lowest price and they may just elect to not compete. I personally am not looking for the best price first. I have established a "relationship" with Twiggs in Hagerstown. When I walk thru the door I am a greeted by the staff from the parts guy to the owner with a friendly "hello John" and essentially the door is always open to test ride any bike on the floor. Deals? I have always felt I was treated well and I am given a good price on trades with little or no haggling. Did I get the lowest price possible? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I appreciate the friendly relationship and I not only want to be treated well financially but I also want the dealership to do well. Shopping for vehicles can be a competitive sport but it's not one I really wish to play. If it costs me $500 extra to have the dealership on my side and backing me up if there would ever be a problem I'll be happy to pay the extra. I know my position might be a bit unusual but in my business I'd just as soon pass on the person looking for the best price only. However if you take advantage of me once it will not happen the second time. I have a trusting relationship with my dealership and they with me. Makes it nice.
Speaking of Twigg, I'm guessing this is your former bike for sale?

http://www.twiggcycles.com/2013Hond...d=593609&used=1&vin=JH2SC6515DK001120

$7999 ain't a bad price, considering the condition/mileage of the bike and the fact that it's a dealership. If I didn't already own one, I'd probably be talking to them...

(Sorry for the off-topic post)
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
I am sure that the Deluxe dealer cost is very close to 10k maybe a little less, with that said I believe a profit of 1k is more than fair.If you pay around 11k plus your local tax and tags only and no other BS fees that you are getting a fair deal.I know some paid less and some paid more,when I first decided to order a DLX a dealer that is known to give a good price without all the BS told me 10,900 + T&T only.I also realize that all dealers do not do the same deals....Just my 2 cents...:biker:

Being in business I'll tell you that I can see both sides to this. First and foremost the buyer CERTAINLY has the right to do business like this. From the dealers perspective I think most dealers would already know who is going to offer the lowest price and they may just elect to not compete. I personally am not looking for the best price first. I have established a "relationship" with Twiggs in Hagerstown. When I walk thru the door I am a greeted by the staff from the parts guy to the owner with a friendly "hello John" and essentially the door is always open to test ride any bike on the floor. Deals? I have always felt I was treated well and I am given a good price on trades with little or no haggling. Did I get the lowest price possible? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I appreciate the friendly relationship and I not only want to be treated well financially but I also want the dealership to do well. Shopping for vehicles can be a competitive sport but it's not one I really wish to play. If it costs me $500 extra to have the dealership on my side and backing me up if there would ever be a problem I'll be happy to pay the extra. I know my position might be a bit unusual but in my business I'd just as soon pass on the person looking for the best price only. However if you take advantage of me once it will not happen the second time. I have a trusting relationship with my dealership and they with me. Makes it nice.
+10:clap:
 
pechorin75_imp said:
bubblerboy64_imp said:
ss2wheels_imp said:
I am sure that the Deluxe dealer cost is very close to 10k maybe a little less, with that said I believe a profit of 1k is more than fair.If you pay around 11k plus your local tax and tags only and no other BS fees that you are getting a fair deal.I know some paid less and some paid more,when I first decided to order a DLX a dealer that is known to give a good price without all the BS told me 10,900 + T&T only.I also realize that all dealers do not do the same deals....Just my 2 cents...:biker:

Being in business I'll tell you that I can see both sides to this. First and foremost the buyer CERTAINLY has the right to do business like this. From the dealers perspective I think most dealers would already know who is going to offer the lowest price and they may just elect to not compete. I personally am not looking for the best price first. I have established a "relationship" with Twiggs in Hagerstown. When I walk thru the door I am a greeted by the staff from the parts guy to the owner with a friendly "hello John" and essentially the door is always open to test ride any bike on the floor. Deals? I have always felt I was treated well and I am given a good price on trades with little or no haggling. Did I get the lowest price possible? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I appreciate the friendly relationship and I not only want to be treated well financially but I also want the dealership to do well. Shopping for vehicles can be a competitive sport but it's not one I really wish to play. If it costs me $500 extra to have the dealership on my side and backing me up if there would ever be a problem I'll be happy to pay the extra. I know my position might be a bit unusual but in my business I'd just as soon pass on the person looking for the best price only. However if you take advantage of me once it will not happen the second time. I have a trusting relationship with my dealership and they with me. Makes it nice.
Speaking of Twigg, I'm guessing this is your former bike for sale?

http://www.twiggcycles.com/2013Hond...d=593609&used=1&vin=JH2SC6515DK001120

$7999 ain't a bad price, considering the condition/mileage of the bike and the fact that it's a dealership. If I didn't already own one, I'd probably be talking to them...

(Sorry for the off-topic post)
Speaking of Twigg, I'm guessing this is your former bike for sale?

http://www.twiggcycles.com/2013Hond...d=593609&used=1&vin=JH2SC6515DK001120

$7999 ain't a bad price, considering the condition/mileage of the bike and the fact that it's a dealership. If I didn't already own one, I'd probably be talking to them...

(Sorry for the off-topic post) I am sure that is my bike, They gave me $6500 for it and so I think the asking price is right on figuring they would take a little less for a cash no trade deal and if a trade is involved they have a little room for that. With what is involved in the over head seems entirely reasonable to me. I love my CTX700 it's absolutely perfect for me. Not to take a thing away from the CB1100. Glad to have had the opportunity to own it at least for a little while.
 
It's a two way street. If you want the dealer around when you need them you have to do business with them. If the dealer wants to be around he needs to treat customers right. If both parties feel that the other is out to gouge them then it's not going to work.
 
Rboe_imp said:
It's a two way street. If you want the dealer around when you need them you have to do business with them. If the dealer wants to be around he needs to treat customers right. If both parties feel that the other is out to gouge them then it's not going to work.
^ Amen.
 
Back
Top