let's argue about obsolete old motorcycles

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
Once my CB11 is paid off ( a while yet, i know), my goal is to buy a second, older, used bike that i don't have to rely on, and thus can use to learn more about motorcycle repair, modification, and maintenance in a consequence free environment. with my CB11, i wouldn't dare experiment with it mechanically. But with a secondary old bike, if i just write the whole thing off as an expense, then i could have the opportunity to learn a lot.

That said, I have a certain set of criteria and desires for a secondary "fun" bike. Right now I'm most interested in an old inline 6 cylinder. of course, the Benelli is out, because where am i gonna get one? it's also the worst one. that leaves japanese models:

The CBX 1000

The Z1300

since all of you folks are old gurus, let's hear what you think on which of these two bikes is a better buy: go!:biker:
 
well if you have to have a 6 cyl that leaves me out even with my GL1500 I hated. I do miss my CB750k that is now cruising London after i let it go for $9K . do not dismiss the CB750 as parts are everywhere and i always found it easy to maintain .
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
well if you have to have a 6 cyl that leaves me out even with my GL1500 I hated. I do miss my CB750k that is now cruising London after i let it go for $9K . do not dismiss the CB750 as parts are everywhere and i always found it easy to maintain .
it's always been sorta my dream to have a 6 cylinder bike. the newer ones like the k1600 and gl1800 are just too enormous and too expensive to be considered, that's why i'm attracted to the two i mentioned. i would never argue about the old 750k, those things are awesome, just not significantly different enough or better than my cb11 to warrant buying one.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
well if you have to have a 6 cyl that leaves me out even with my GL1500 I hated. I do miss my CB750k that is now cruising London after i let it go for $9K . do not dismiss the CB750 as parts are everywhere and i always found it easy to maintain .
it's always been sorta my dream to have a 6 cylinder bike. the newer ones like the k1600 and gl1800 are just too enormous and too expensive to be considered, that's why i'm attracted to the two i mentioned. i would never argue about the old 750k, those things are awesome, just not significantly different enough or better than my cb11 to warrant buying one.
it's always been sorta my dream to have a 6 cylinder bike. the newer ones like the k1600 and gl1800 are just too enormous and too expensive to be considered, that's why i'm attracted to the two i mentioned. i would never argue about the old 750k, those things are awesome, just not significantly different enough or better than my cb11 to warrant buying one. I fully understand. I also salivated over the 1979 CBX model only but it never happened. no interest in the ugly ones that followed that year with 85MPH speedo's and ugly changes. if i was going to maintain 6 carburetors that would be the model i would want and a Red one at that. as an old man i say chase your dreams and i wish you luck , was just looking at the parts availability standpoint for old bikes.
 
Flip a coin and pick what you want-

Cheap, easy to work on, good for learning how to wrench.

VS

40 year old carb'd 6 cylinder motorcycle

Yes- it is my opinion that they are mutually exclusive.

That being said, I also think the best way to learn the basics is what many have done for decades- start on a single cylinder dirtbike. Cheap and easy. You can find numerous street legal versions if that is a requirement.

Or maybe a twin like a CB350 if you want something old with a 'cool' vibe.
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
well if you have to have a 6 cyl that leaves me out even with my GL1500 I hated. I do miss my CB750k that is now cruising London after i let it go for $9K . do not dismiss the CB750 as parts are everywhere and i always found it easy to maintain .
it's always been sorta my dream to have a 6 cylinder bike. the newer ones like the k1600 and gl1800 are just too enormous and too expensive to be considered, that's why i'm attracted to the two i mentioned. i would never argue about the old 750k, those things are awesome, just not significantly different enough or better than my cb11 to warrant buying one.
it's always been sorta my dream to have a 6 cylinder bike. the newer ones like the k1600 and gl1800 are just too enormous and too expensive to be considered, that's why i'm attracted to the two i mentioned. i would never argue about the old 750k, those things are awesome, just not significantly different enough or better than my cb11 to warrant buying one. I fully understand. I also salivated over the 1979 CBX model only but it never happened. no interest in the ugly ones that followed that year with 85MPH speedo's and ugly changes. if i was going to maintain 6 carburetors that would be the model i would want and a Red one at that. as an old man i say chase your dreams and i wish you luck , was just looking at the parts availability standpoint for old bikes.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1979-Honda-CBX-1000-5003164784

there you go buddy.
 
use2b_imp said:
well if you have to have a 6 cyl that leaves me out even with my GL1500 I hated. I do miss my CB750k that is now cruising London after i let it go for $9K . do not dismiss the CB750 as parts are everywhere and i always found it easy to maintain .

Beautiful bikes and GSD’s rule !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Honda CB 1100 Standard Hooligan

“ Wherever you go , there you are “
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Flip a coin and pick what you want-

Cheap, easy to work on, good for learning how to wrench.

VS

40 year old carb'd 6 cylinder motorcycle

Yes- it is my opinion that they are mutually exclusive.

That being said, I also think the best way to learn the basics is what many have done for decades- start on a single cylinder dirtbike. Cheap and easy. You can find numerous street legal versions if that is a requirement.

Or maybe a twin like a CB350 if you want something old with a 'cool' vibe.
hrm...that would certainly be best for just learning, but i can't reconcile paying for a bike just for it to be a cadaver and nothing else. I want to be able to use it, and i don't really have any way to use a dirt bike (no truck, no trailer, no way to haul or carry it, no dirt roads here, ect ect). There are thumper bikes like a suzuki savage that would do the trick, but there again when am i going to actually *use* it? how is it significantly different from my CB11? i'm thinking on these things.

Then, and finally, just how many bikes am I going to buy? id prefer to keep it to just one, and only one extra bike. that said, if that one and only was a 6cyl carbed bike with 24 valves that are impossible to tune, i'm certainly gonna have a bad time. There might be something else that's significantly different from a CB11, and work-on-able, and interesting enough to get me to open my wallet, but i haven't thought of it yet.
 
Kawasaki KDX200. Two stroke that's easy and relatively inexpensive to work on. They're an absolute blast to ride. There's nothing quite like the power delivery of 2 smoker. They're a bit hard to find, because people hang on to them for a long time. If you're patient, you'll find one.

Edit: Just saw that you can't get to the dirt. Well, that sucks. So maybe a motard will work...
 
Well Mr. P, I know you have 6 cylinders on your mind, but I will humbly and respectfully submit the Evo-powered Harley-Davidson from 1985 - 2000. Not as collectible or as expensive as the previous Shovel, Pan and Knuckle bikes, but rideable, reliable and entertaining with their quirks and foibles. The Evo was used in the rubber mount FLH dressers, rubber mount FXRs and later FXDs, and Softail models, so you have a variety of riding styles to choose from.

Your challenge will be to find one is stock condition, instead of one modified by someone who evidently was smarter than the H-D engineers. And ironically goaded on by Harley-Davidson's own Parts and Accessories catalog!
 
Lay down and take a nap until the feeling goes away. You really don't want 6 carbs in your fleet - even if, maybe especially because; they are on one bike.

:)
 
MrP, there’s a whole symposium in this proposition. Two quick thoughts though:

First, if you really don’t know much about working on bikes why would you start learning on something as hideously complicated as a 6-cylinder? Go with something with one or two cylinders and, when you nail it, move up.

Secondly, why would you risk trashing something as exquisite as a CBX?

Just sayin’.
 
Thread starter
Roper_imp said:
Kawasaki KDX200. Two stroke that's easy and relatively inexpensive to work on. They're an absolute blast to ride. There's nothing quite like the power delivery of 2 smoker. They're a bit hard to find, because people hang on to them for a long time. If you're patient, you'll find one.

Edit: Just saw that you can't get to the dirt. Well, that sucks. So maybe a motard will work...
sadly, the busybodies in my subdivision would have a fit if i went tear-assing around everybody's yard. a Dirt bike does have a truly separate use from my CB, and a built in excuse to own an extra bike, but sadly i'll never get to use it. it's a fools errand.

3rdbike_imp said:
Well Mr. P, I know you have 6 cylinders on your mind, but I will humbly and respectfully submit the Evo-powered Harley-Davidson from 1985 - 2000. Not as collectible or as expensive as the previous Shovel, Pan and Knuckle bikes, but rideable, reliable and entertaining with their quirks and foibles. The Evo was used in the rubber mount FLH dressers, rubber mount FXRs and later FXDs, and Softail models, so you have a variety of riding styles to choose from.

Your challenge will be to find one is stock condition, instead of one modified by someone who evidently was smarter than the H-D engineers. And ironically goaded on by Harley-Davidson's own Parts and Accessories catalog!
you know something? i could get behind that. I've owned low cruisers so I know an old harley is a very different machine and a very different experience compared to my CB. More than that, an old harley is going to need a lot of care, and thus gives me an excuse to work on it. what's the lightest, most "nimble" model from that era you can think of? i know Harley Davidson isn't known for making nimble bikes, but you get my meaning. The big baggers are more of a pain to ride than anything else.


Rboe_imp said:
Lay down and take a nap until the feeling goes away. You really don't want 6 carbs in your fleet - even if, maybe especially because; they are on one bike.

:)
As the former owner of a 1983 Goldwing, buddy, I don't even want 4 carbs. i'm traumatized by carbs. If i'm going to learn anything, though I need to get over that.

Cormanus_imp said:
MrP, there’s a whole symposium in this proposition. Two quick thoughts though:

First, if you really don’t know much about working on bikes why would you start learning on something as hideously complicated as a 6-cylinder? Go with something with one or two cylinders and, when you nail it, move up.

Secondly, why would you risk trashing something as exquisite as a CBX?

Just sayin’.
well, in the CB, I already have my permanent machine. It will serve my needs for, presumably, decades. That said, I'm just really really trying to avoid the rat race of endlessly buying and selling bikes. I don't want to do that. Ideally, this second bike would be the last bike i ever purchase. I'm really a BIFL guy.

As for the CBX, the idea was that such an exquisite masterpiece would motivate me to turn to and put out all my strength of arm and heart and brain and "make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again," so to speak. it's such a beautiful thing. I think i would focus all my considerable potential on *not* trashing it. Also, it's kind of the "if you can dodge a wrench..." principle. If i can give life to a CBX there's nothing i can't fix.

not saying that's a smart plan, it's just the excuse I came up with in my head.
 
I am probably one of the youngest on this forum but I have been working on my own bikes since a teenager and I have to agree with everyone about starting with a single or a twin. I know you can’t ride a true dirt bike anywhere, but have you ever ridden a small dual sport on the street? It is an absolute blast. Small bikes are awesome, exactly why Grom’s have gotten so popular. (What about a used grom?)

Buying a non running bike is always incredibly risky, but here is an XR200 in Wilmington that I would buy in a heartbeat if I were in your position https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1983-honda-xr-200-dirtbike/6623661565.html

I don’t want to sound like I am smashing on your dreams of owning a CBX but if your M.O. with the bike is to learn how to wrench, I think it’s a mistake. When I was a kid me and my dad rebuilt a 72 Beetle for my sister to drive to high school. It was Fun because it wasn’t very hard or very frustrating. If it had been, I probably would have never enjoyed it and now I’d be one of those guys that takes their car to a jiffy lube for an oil change (the horror).
 
Thread starter
riggies_imp said:
I am probably one of the youngest on this forum but I have been working on my own bikes since a teenager and I have to agree with everyone about starting with a single or a twin. I know you can’t ride a true dirt bike anywhere, but have you ever ridden a small dual sport on the street? It is an absolute blast. Small bikes are awesome, exactly why Grom’s have gotten so popular. (What about a used grom?)

Buying a non running bike is always incredibly risky, but here is an XR200 in Wilmington that I would buy in a heartbeat if I were in your position https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1983-honda-xr-200-dirtbike/6623661565.html

I don’t want to sound like I am smashing on your dreams of owning a CBX but if your M.O. with the bike is to learn how to wrench, I think it’s a mistake. When I was a kid me and my dad rebuilt a 72 Beetle for my sister to drive to high school. It was Fun because it wasn’t very hard or very frustrating. If it had been, I probably would have never enjoyed it and now I’d be one of those guys that takes their car to a jiffy lube for an oil change (the horror).
I don't disagree with that sentiment. I know it's going to be a real fight, and not an enjoyable experience if I go the 6 cylinder way. you should hear me cuss trying to put on a dart windscreen. took me 2 hours. I can build a PC with spare parts and an old soldering iron, but as soon as bolts and oil and engines are involved, i get this black rage bubbling up at every setback. I'm trying hard to take people's advice about alternate bikes to use. the best suggestion so far has been an older Harley, since I can see a real purpose for that bike. it wouldn't just be a cadaver. Any other suggestions are being taken with great care and consideration, but dirt bikes and minibikes i think are not in the cards, since they would just sit in my garage, regardless of their working status.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
Kawasaki KDX200. Two stroke that's easy and relatively inexpensive to work on. They're an absolute blast to ride. There's nothing quite like the power delivery of 2 smoker. They're a bit hard to find, because people hang on to them for a long time. If you're patient, you'll find one.

Edit: Just saw that you can't get to the dirt. Well, that sucks. So maybe a motard will work...
sadly, the busybodies in my subdivision would have a fit if i went tear-assing around everybody's yard. a Dirt bike does have a truly separate use from my CB, and a built in excuse to own an extra bike, but sadly i'll never get to use it. it's a fools errand.

3rdbike_imp said:
Well Mr. P, I know you have 6 cylinders on your mind, but I will humbly and respectfully submit the Evo-powered Harley-Davidson from 1985 - 2000. Not as collectible or as expensive as the previous Shovel, Pan and Knuckle bikes, but rideable, reliable and entertaining with their quirks and foibles. The Evo was used in the rubber mount FLH dressers, rubber mount FXRs and later FXDs, and Softail models, so you have a variety of riding styles to choose from.

Your challenge will be to find one is stock condition, instead of one modified by someone who evidently was smarter than the H-D engineers. And ironically goaded on by Harley-Davidson's own Parts and Accessories catalog!
you know something? i could get behind that. I've owned low cruisers so I know an old harley is a very different machine and a very different experience compared to my CB. More than that, an old harley is going to need a lot of care, and thus gives me an excuse to work on it. what's the lightest, most "nimble" model from that era you can think of? i know Harley Davidson isn't known for making nimble bikes, but you get my meaning. The big baggers are more of a pain to ride than anything else.


Rboe_imp said:
Lay down and take a nap until the feeling goes away. You really don't want 6 carbs in your fleet - even if, maybe especially because; they are on one bike.

:)
As the former owner of a 1983 Goldwing, buddy, I don't even want 4 carbs. i'm traumatized by carbs. If i'm going to learn anything, though I need to get over that.

Cormanus_imp said:
MrP, there’s a whole symposium in this proposition. Two quick thoughts though:

First, if you really don’t know much about working on bikes why would you start learning on something as hideously complicated as a 6-cylinder? Go with something with one or two cylinders and, when you nail it, move up.

Secondly, why would you risk trashing something as exquisite as a CBX?

Just sayin’.
well, in the CB, I already have my permanent machine. It will serve my needs for, presumably, decades. That said, I'm just really really trying to avoid the rat race of endlessly buying and selling bikes. I don't want to do that. Ideally, this second bike would be the last bike i ever purchase. I'm really a BIFL guy.

As for the CBX, the idea was that such an exquisite masterpiece would motivate me to turn to and put out all my strength of arm and heart and brain and "make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again," so to speak. it's such a beautiful thing. I think i would focus all my considerable potential on *not* trashing it. Also, it's kind of the "if you can dodge a wrench..." principle. If i can give life to a CBX there's nothing i can't fix.

not saying that's a smart plan, it's just the excuse I came up with in my head.
you know something? i could get behind that. I've owned low cruisers so I know an old harley is a very different machine and a very different experience compared to my CB. More than that, an old harley is going to need a lot of care, and thus gives me an excuse to work on it. what's the lightest, most "nimble" model from that era you can think of? i know Harley Davidson isn't known for making nimble bikes, but you get my meaning. The big baggers are more of a pain to ride than anything else.
You want something you can ride a little bit too, no? I would suggest any post 1994 Evolution powered bike. I say post '94 as that is when Harley's metallurgy technology finally reached the point where they for the most part eliminated the infamous Harley oil leak by properly mating metals and alloys together at seams allowing for the expansion/contraction of heating/cooling metals. TLDR - they stopped leaking.

If it were me (and coincidentally it is as I am keeping an eye out for one) I would look for a late '90s/early '00s Sportster 1200 Sport or Roadster. They come stock with higher rear shocks, usually mid controls and a bit of a power advantage. They are easy to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful and they are getting to be dirt cheap to buy.

What's not to like?:idea:
 
Lets narrow it down a bit.

When you say learn- do you actually mean 'learn' or just something to wrench on, and experience?

Example- an old 2-stroke such as an RZ350 is a cool fun play bike, but learning the top end of a 2-stroke is different and simpler than a 4-stroke. But you still have the same basic of a clutch, throttle, carb, wheels, chain, forks...

Are you ok with water cooled?

If you have your heart set on something exotic, while I'd never own a CBX I have owned a few VFR- a 700 and a 750. Both V-four engines with gear driven cams. They sound fantastic with a set of mufflers. The level of complexity increases though. You can get the same basic engine design in a cruiser- Honda Magna.

There are a ton of bikes with character and oddities back in the 80's from all the manufacturers.
 
Back
Top