Left wrist strain

I'm 5'10", ~200.
It took me a bit to get a hang of the center stand but once I did it was cake. Part of the issue was just confidence, and getting over the feeling that the bike would tip over.

If you're straining your wrist, you're doing it wrong.

As others have stated, I stand on the left side of the bike with my right foot on the stand, right hand on the grab rail, and left hand on the left handlebar. Then I step up on the stand and let my weight handle the rest. At 200 I'm no lightweight but I don't see someone of ~150 having too much trouble.
 
Thread starter
Thanks to everyone. I did some "remedial centerstand practice" last evening and figured out what I was doing wrong. I indeed was pulling backward with my left hand and it was repeatedly straining that wrist. It was almost subconscious, and I didn't even realize I was pulling back. In fact it took me about a week to figure out that the strain was even motorcycle-related as opposed to some yard work and carpentry I was doing. So when it dawned on me that this was the cause, you guys set me straight. Thanks. I focused last evening on just the right leg on the center stand lever and giving an upward lift to the frame under the seat--only using the left hand to steady. Voila! Easy-Peasy. Thanks and Ride On!!
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
SailorRider_imp said:
I think there have been discussions about center stand technique. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing soreness in my left wrist and lower forearm. Until last night I did not put 2+2 together and figure out that it is my center stand technique for my CB that is doing it. I normally stand on the right side of the bike, put my right hand on the silver frame piece under the seat, put my right foot on the center stand lever, and my left wrist on the handlebar. I am not a lightweight, but my weight alone does not get the bike on the stand--I seem to have to pull the frame up with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand. Something I am doing is straining my left hand. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better technique? Thanks!!
[My bold above.] Try standing on the left side of the bike. You need to be a contortionist to do it from the right side.

Cheers
[My bold above.] Try standing on the left side of the bike. You need to be a contortionist to do it from the right side.

Cheers
Correct. I meant I stand with the bike on my right. Or on the left side of the bike. I am not a contortionist or a super hero. :)
 
Sailor, I'm sorry you're not a super hero; it would have been good for popgun to have had company. I think sometimes he gets lonely.

What's the yacht in your avatar?

Edit Cormanus then reads Sailor's signature and realises the yacht is probably a 1986 Cape Dory 32.
 
SailorRider_imp said:
Thanks to everyone. I did some "remedial centerstand practice" last evening and figured out what I was doing wrong. I indeed was pulling backward with my left hand and it was repeatedly straining that wrist. It was almost subconscious, and I didn't even realize I was pulling back. In fact it took me about a week to figure out that the strain was even motorcycle-related as opposed to some yard work and carpentry I was doing. So when it dawned on me that this was the cause, you guys set me straight. Thanks. I focused last evening on just the right leg on the center stand lever and giving an upward lift to the frame under the seat--only using the left hand to steady. Voila! Easy-Peasy. Thanks and Ride On!!
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Sailor, I'm sorry you're not a super hero; it would have been good for popgun to have had company. I think sometimes he gets lonely.

What's the yacht in your avatar?

Edit Cormanus then reads Sailor's signature and realises the yacht is probably a 1986 Cape Dory 32.
Yes, I have been its caretaker since 2003. Just like my CB, I take care of it, it takes care of me.
 
^^^^^. I take it you mount the boat pictured from the right side. Or should that be the Starboard side? If it's on a Starboard tack would you mount it from the Port side. I'm nautically confused.

Cheers

WARNING: this post may indicate that an oil thread has driven me into the arms of Bacchus.
 
I've heard those that ride big ADV's mount from the Starbuck's side.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Sailor, I'm sorry you're not a super hero; it would have been good for popgun to have had company. I think sometimes he gets lonely.

What's the yacht in your avatar?

Edit Cormanus then reads Sailor's signature and realises the yacht is probably a 1986 Cape Dory 32.
Cormanus, I'll have you know that I am a legend in my own mind. :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've heard those that ride big ADV's mount from the Starbuck's side.
Very good Ferret. Hope you don't mind if I catch a ride with you and say it seems to be the favourite side for our local Ducatistis.

Cheers.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Sailor, I'm sorry you're not a super hero; it would have been good for popgun to have had company. I think sometimes he gets lonely.

What's the yacht in your avatar?

Edit Cormanus then reads Sailor's signature and realises the yacht is probably a 1986 Cape Dory 32.
Cormanus, I'll have you know that I am a legend in my own mind. :D
He, Cormanus that is, already knows that I'm a legend in my own lunchtime*.

Cheers

*Thank you Wordsworth.
 
I'm outta here! Too many legends for me.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
^^^^^. I take it you mount the boat pictured from the right side. Or should that be the Starboard side? If it's on a Starboard tack would you mount it from the Port side. I'm nautically confused.

Cheers

WARNING: this post may indicate that an oil thread has driven me into the arms of Bacchus.
I learned this many years ago when an ex-girlfriends dad taught me to sail (about all I remember now is that it's like tossing hundred dollar bills down the drain while standing in a cold shower......).

Anyway, when it comes to labeling sides of the boat, short words on one side, longer words on the other:
Starboard, right, green (as in navigation lights)
Port, left, red.

Easy peasy. :D
 
Rboe_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
^^^^^. I take it you mount the boat pictured from the right side. Or should that be the Starboard side? If it's on a Starboard tack would you mount it from the Port side. I'm nautically confused.

Cheers

WARNING: this post may indicate that an oil thread has driven me into the arms of Bacchus.
I learned this many years ago when an ex-girlfriends dad taught me to sail (about all I remember now is that it's like tossing hundred dollar bills down the drain while standing in a cold shower......).

Anyway, when it comes to labeling sides of the boat, short words on one side, longer words on the other:
Starboard, right, green (as in navigation lights)
Port, left, red.

Easy peasy. :D
Funny, that's exactly what I was taught as a teenager (learning on my tiny Bic cat in Newport harbor!), but have never heard anyone else ever refer to it that way! :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
^^^^^. I take it you mount the boat pictured from the right side. Or should that be the Starboard side? If it's on a Starboard tack would you mount it from the Port side. I'm nautically confused.

Cheers

WARNING: this post may indicate that an oil thread has driven me into the arms of Bacchus.
AAARGGHHHHH Matey. I only wish the "yacht" was big enough to bring my CB from port to port, mega-yacht style. Not happening. The only 2 wheeler I could envision taking with me would be a folding bicycle. And I currently "board" the "yacht" from the port side (same as my CB) as that is the slip my club assigned me. Unlike the CB, I could equally board from the starboard side if needed.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Port is a wine. A proper sailor would call it larboard. Always deploy the mainstand from the larboard side of your motorcycle.
I don't wish to be picky, but a 'proper' sailor who referred to the port side of his vessel as 'larboard' would by now be in an advanced state of decomposition. I can't date it exactly, but it appears the usage changed in the early to mid 19th century due to problems caused by the similar sound of the words. (reference)
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
He went for the starboard side.
Classic. Bit hard to get up from that and still look "cool".

Cheers
Classic. Bit hard to get up from that and still look "cool".

Cheers
I expect it was hard to get up from that at all!
 
Back
Top