Left wrist strain

SailorRider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I think there have been discussions about center stand technique. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing soreness in my left wrist and lower forearm. Until last night I did not put 2+2 together and figure out that it is my center stand technique for my CB that is doing it. I normally stand on the right side of the bike, put my right hand on the silver frame piece under the seat, put my right foot on the center stand lever, and my left wrist on the handlebar. I am not a lightweight, but my weight alone does not get the bike on the stand--I seem to have to pull the frame up with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand. Something I am doing is straining my left hand. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better technique? Thanks!!
 
SailorRider....there is no pull with left hand, it just steadies you and the bike. Everything is done with right leg and right hand. Keep your left wrist straight.
 
SailorRider_imp said:

Thanks for the links, Cormanus. I did see those before and have followed the techniques shown. I think my issue is more subtle--apparently I am pulling either too hard with my left hand or at an awkward angle. I will play with subtle changes in left hand placement and amount of force exerted to hopefully stop this from causing strain. Maybe I should concentrate more on the right hand lift and center stand lever with less emphasis on pulling backwards with the left hand. Maybe you should forget about the centerstand before you get hurt.;)

To explain, I've been doing this 34 years and have had many motorcycles with centerstands. Most are fairly straightforward, some are very easy to the point of being nearly effortless (like the earlier BMW boxers).

This bike is NOT that easy to get up on the centerstand. It requires much more of a direct lift than many because of the geometry. A big heavy guy who can put a lot of weight on the tang is going to be better off and also have more leverage all round. If you are having all this trouble, you are probably not that guy. I am not, that's for sure.

Why risk dropping the bike, doing yourself harm, just to use this feature?

Take the thing off and use a paddock stand if you're not comfortable with it. You'll have to learn to use that, too but it's a lot easier, and you will be pushing DOWN on it, not lifting, which is bad for your back, shoulders, and as you mentioned, wrists. Get some help the first few times. The one in the image is using spools but it comes with pads that fit under the swingarm.

Any stand poses a risk of injury or dropping the bike, period. No argument, almost everyone has dropped a bike or two while putting it on a stand. Pick the stand with the least potential for injury or damage. In my case I use paddock stands on all my bikes except one.

I did strain a few muscles fussing with the CB1100's centerstand and realized it had to go. I only have one spine and I'm not going to wreck it proving I can put one of these boat anchors on the mainstand.
[attachment=4792]
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
SailorRider....there is no pull with left hand, it just steadies you and the bike. Everything is done with right leg and right hand. Keep your left wrist straight.
I will try that.
Ulvetanna_imp said:
SailorRider_imp said:

Thanks for the links, Cormanus. I did see those before and have followed the techniques shown. I think my issue is more subtle--apparently I am pulling either too hard with my left hand or at an awkward angle. I will play with subtle changes in left hand placement and amount of force exerted to hopefully stop this from causing strain. Maybe I should concentrate more on the right hand lift and center stand lever with less emphasis on pulling backwards with the left hand. Maybe you should forget about the centerstand before you get hurt.;)

To explain, I've been doing this 34 years and have had many motorcycles with centerstands. Most are fairly straightforward, some are very easy to the point of being nearly effortless (like the earlier BMW boxers).

This bike is NOT that easy to get up on the centerstand. It requires much more of a direct lift than many because of the geometry. A big heavy guy who can put a lot of weight on the tang is going to be better off and also have more leverage all round. If you are having all this trouble, you are probably not that guy. I am not, that's for sure.

Why risk dropping the bike, doing yourself harm, just to use this feature?

Take the thing off and use a paddock stand if you're not comfortable with it. You'll have to learn to use that, too but it's a lot easier, and you will be pushing DOWN on it, not lifting, which is bad for your back, shoulders, and as you mentioned, wrists. Get some help the first few times. The one in the image is using spools but it comes with pads that fit under the swingarm.

Any stand poses a risk of injury or dropping the bike, period. No argument, almost everyone has dropped a bike or two while putting it on a stand. Pick the stand with the least potential for injury or damage. In my case I use paddock stands on all my bikes except one.

I did strain a few muscles fussing with the CB1100's centerstand and realized it had to go. I only have one spine and I'm not going to wreck it proving I can put one of these boat anchors on the mainstand.
[attachment=4792]

Thanks for the links, Cormanus. I did see those before and have followed the techniques shown. I think my issue is more subtle--apparently I am pulling either too hard with my left hand or at an awkward angle. I will play with subtle changes in left hand placement and amount of force exerted to hopefully stop this from causing strain. Maybe I should concentrate more on the right hand lift and center stand lever with less emphasis on pulling backwards with the left hand. Maybe you should forget about the centerstand before you get hurt.;)

To explain, I've been doing this 34 years and have had many motorcycles with centerstands. Most are fairly straightforward, some are very easy to the point of being nearly effortless (like the earlier BMW boxers).

This bike is NOT that easy to get up on the centerstand. It requires much more of a direct lift than many because of the geometry. A big heavy guy who can put a lot of weight on the tang is going to be better off and also have more leverage all round. If you are having all this trouble, you are probably not that guy. I am not, that's for sure.

Why risk dropping the bike, doing yourself harm, just to use this feature?

Take the thing off and use a paddock stand if you're not comfortable with it. You'll have to learn to use that, too but it's a lot easier, and you will be pushing DOWN on it, not lifting, which is bad for your back, shoulders, and as you mentioned, wrists. Get some help the first few times. The one in the image is using spools but it comes with pads that fit under the swingarm.

Any stand poses a risk of injury or dropping the bike, period. No argument, almost everyone has dropped a bike or two while putting it on a stand. Pick the stand with the least potential for injury or damage. In my case I use paddock stands on all my bikes except one.

I did strain a few muscles fussing with the CB1100's centerstand and realized it had to go. I only have one spine and I'm not going to wreck it proving I can put one of these boat anchors on the mainstand.
Thanks. I will try adjusting my technique before abandoning the process altogether. Great insights all.
 
It's actually quite easy - and easy on you - if you employ the right technique. At 6', around 170lbs., I'm a comparative lightweight, and I can do it, no problem, no sweat, no injury.
I stand on the left side of the bike (facing it), right hand on the left passenger grab rail, left hand on the left hand grip, right foot on the centerstand. Just stand hard onto the centerstand with all your weight on your right foot, with a slight pull up/back with your right hand - letting your weight onto your foot do 90% of the work - and it'll slide right up onto the stand. After you've done it a few times, you'll wonder what you ever worried about!
Good luck!
 
+1 on what Papa Wheely said. I'm 5'9" and weight about 150.
 
Coming from the sidecar world I learned a simple method to get the bikes onto their center stand - ride up onto a small piece of scrap lumber, 2x6 works great. With the rear wheel elevated by the 2x it's a simple "step" to get it onto the centerstand for maintenance or tire changes.
 
Sailor, I was thinking of you when I put the bike on the centre stand to put petrol in it only a few minutes ago. I tried to be conscious of what I was doing and it was pretty much what Papa Weeley said. Both he and popgun are taller than me, but I'm a bit heavier than popgun at 160 pounds. I realised that my weight on the stand was doing nearly all the work. My left hand on the bars was doing next to nothing.

Good luck.
 
Moving to the left side of the bike and using your right hand to lift might give that left wrist a chance to heal up. I'm 5'7" 140 lbs, and I find it difficult as well, but it is doable. I like the idea of a block under the tire to give a head start. Thanks for that, 4 Paws!:thumbsup:
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Moving to the left side of the bike and using your right hand to lift might give that left wrist a chance to heal up. I'm 5'7" 140 lbs, and I find it difficult as well, but it is doable. I like the idea of a block under the tire to give a head start. Thanks for that, 4 Paws!:thumbsup:
Is this a right-hand drive CB1100? I never saw a motorcycle where you could put it on the mainstand from the right side.

Just being funny, but how do you strain your left hand, and if Inhouse Bob is suggesting you move to the left side of the bike, how were putting it on the mainstand from the right side of the bike?

Just saying use some caution here, maybe just get a spotter next time.
 
Ulvetanna,

See the original post:

SailorRider_imp said:
I think there have been discussions about center stand technique. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing soreness in my left wrist and lower forearm. Until last night I did not put 2+2 together and figure out that it is my center stand technique for my CB that is doing it. I normally stand on the right side of the bike, put my right hand on the silver frame piece under the seat, put my right foot on the center stand lever, and my left wrist on the handlebar. I am not a lightweight, but my weight alone does not get the bike on the stand--I seem to have to pull the frame up with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand. Something I am doing is straining my left hand. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better technique? Thanks!!
It's my bolding. Bob can be forgiven, I think.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ulvetanna,

See the original post:

SailorRider_imp said:
I think there have been discussions about center stand technique. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing soreness in my left wrist and lower forearm. Until last night I did not put 2+2 together and figure out that it is my center stand technique for my CB that is doing it. I normally stand on the right side of the bike, put my right hand on the silver frame piece under the seat, put my right foot on the center stand lever, and my left wrist on the handlebar. I am not a lightweight, but my weight alone does not get the bike on the stand--I seem to have to pull the frame up with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand. Something I am doing is straining my left hand. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better technique? Thanks!!
It's my bolding. Bob can be forgiven, I think.
It's my bolding. Bob can be forgiven, I think. LOL, pretty sure he means the left side of the bike, no? How can one put his foot on the centerstand whilst standing on the right side of the bike? I took it as a typo. Hope he can clear this up, like to see an image of that if he actually stands on the right side. Maybe he means the correct side.

Very confusing, guess that is why I removed mine. :rofl:
 
Yes. I was pretty sure it was a typo.

Tell me, how do you get your bike on to the paddock stand on your own?
 
SailorRider_imp said:
I think there have been discussions about center stand technique. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing soreness in my left wrist and lower forearm. Until last night I did not put 2+2 together and figure out that it is my center stand technique for my CB that is doing it. I normally stand on the right side of the bike, put my right hand on the silver frame piece under the seat, put my right foot on the center stand lever, and my left wrist on the handlebar. I am not a lightweight, but my weight alone does not get the bike on the stand--I seem to have to pull the frame up with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand. Something I am doing is straining my left hand. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better technique? Thanks!!
[My bold above.] Try standing on the left side of the bike. You need to be a contortionist to do it from the right side.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
SailorRider_imp said:
I think there have been discussions about center stand technique. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing soreness in my left wrist and lower forearm. Until last night I did not put 2+2 together and figure out that it is my center stand technique for my CB that is doing it. I normally stand on the right side of the bike, put my right hand on the silver frame piece under the seat, put my right foot on the center stand lever, and my left wrist on the handlebar. I am not a lightweight, but my weight alone does not get the bike on the stand--I seem to have to pull the frame up with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand. Something I am doing is straining my left hand. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better technique? Thanks!!
[My bold above.] Try standing on the left side of the bike. You need to be a contortionist to do it from the right side.

Cheers
We think it might be an error. If he's doing it as described he's on the brake side of the bike with his right arm crossed in front of him to hold the frame and his left hand crossed in front of him to hold the bar. Heaven only knows how he gets his foot on the lever on the stand unless he has an extraordinarily long and flexible leg that allows him either to sling it over the bike or slide it underneath.
 
Ha! Didn't even occur to me that it would be impossible to do from the right side. Maybe that is where the wrist strain came from :rofl::rofl:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Yes. I was pretty sure it was a typo.

Tell me, how do you get your bike on to the paddock stand on your own?
If it has spools it's easier. The one I use has rubber pads that fit under the swingarm just ahead of the rear axle. The swingarm gets a little wider just ahead of where I fit the rubber pads so it's pretty secure.

What I do is carefully lift the bike up just far enough to put 2x4 under the sidestand which gets it pretty level. I put the paddock stand under the swingarm and lift just enough to get some pressure on the left side and make sure it's all lined up.

Standing at the rear of the bike, I grab the taillight mount (it's quite strong, to a point) or perhaps the inside of the metal rear fender with my left hand, using my right to push the handle of the paddock stand down. If I am doing it right, I'll get the bike level and just off the 2x4.

If I am satisfied it's stable and level, I put my weight into the stand pushing down with a smooth motion and the stand (which is on wheels) will pop right under the bike.

The left hand is used to stabilize the bike.

Often I get a spotter but I've gotten to where I don't need one.

I also use a front paddock stand to change the front wheel. Same thing there, rear stand first of course, then line it all up and smoothly pop the bike up making sure the thing is securely engaged.

Dealing with these heavy bikes there is always a possibility of screwing up. I really try to adhere to a strict technique and not get in a hurry.
 
Back
Top