Left side cover removal

jeffmazz_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Can someone help me with the left side cover removal? I have the gasket released but the cover comes off about 1/4" and stops. It feels like there is something in there not allowing it to fully release. Should I keep pulling or is there something I'm missing? The electrical wire that goes in the top isn't the issue. Also does anyone have the torque values for the cover bolts?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
 
Are you talking about the alternator cover? The side covers are the triangle shaped plastic things with CB1100 on them :)

Anyway, if it is all ready to come off, the book has a note that says, The cover (stator) is magnetically attracted to the flywheel, be careful during removal. I’d try pulling harder. It also says to remove the starter gear reduction gear cover and remove the gear shaft and reduction gear then take the cover off.

Give me few minutes and I’ll look up the torque value.

In the drawings and installation procedure and torque table list there is no torque value listed. Just says tighten in 2 or 3 steps. So, you have to use the Standard Torque Value table. For 8mm it says: 8mm hex bolt and nut—16ft lb. For 8mm flange bolt and nut—20 ft lb.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Are you talking about the alternator cover? The side covers are the triangle shaped plastic things with CB1100 on them :)

Anyway, if it is all ready to come off, the book has a note that says, The cover (stator) is magnetically attracted to the flywheel, be careful during removal. I’d try pulling harder. It also says to remove the starter gear reduction gear cover and remove the gear shaft and reduction gear then take the cover off.

Give me few minutes and I’ll look up the torque value.

In the drawings and installation procedure and torque table list there is no torque value listed. Just says tighten in 2 or 3 steps. So, you have to use the Standard Torque Value table. For 8mm it says: 8mm hex bolt and nut—16ft lb. For 8mm flange bolt and nut—20 ft lb.
Thanks popgun! It is the alternator cover. I did remove the starter gear reduction cover and gears. I'll give it a harder pull and see what happens. Thanks again!!
 
Thread starter
Alternator cover replaced. It was a little more difficult than I thought it was going to be but she's done. Popgun, thanks again for the information.
 
Glad you got it! Why did you have to take it off?
 
An old thread this, but it caught my eye 'cos this is exactly what I face when I get home to repair my new CB...
Despite the damage, the engine runs fine.
45f4e37c91643ef8947e2df57fee31a1.jpg
 
Bazbro_imp said:
An old thread this, but it caught my eye 'cos this is exactly what I face when I get home to repair my new CB...
Despite the damage, the engine runs fine.
45f4e37c91643ef8947e2df57fee31a1.jpg
Yikes! Wow. Still not a sight one wants to see.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Such a shame - and only 165 miles on the clock!!
I am wondering if it was a tester model? Maybe you already said something about the bike in the Forum.

I have heard first hand a tester rider totaling a Ducati Diavel. :(
 
Bazbro_imp said:
An old thread this, but it caught my eye 'cos this is exactly what I face when I get home to repair my new CB...
Despite the damage, the engine runs fine.
45f4e37c91643ef8947e2df57fee31a1.jpg
This is the reason that I have a set of the Over engine protectors waiting before even my new CB 1100 arrives. That is also the first thing I put on any new bike.
 
Thanks for posting this thread! I am going to find out if the '13 & '14 crankcase covers compatible when I get the motivation. This helped for sure.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
An old thread this, but it caught my eye 'cos this is exactly what I face when I get home to repair my new CB...
Despite the damage, the engine runs fine.
45f4e37c91643ef8947e2df57fee31a1.jpg
This is the reason that I have a set of the Over engine protectors waiting before even my new CB 1100 arrives. That is also the first thing I put on any new bike.
Very wise Houtman.

Hmm, I think the last engine guards I had was on an '82 Yamaha 650 Maxim.
 
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
An old thread this, but it caught my eye 'cos this is exactly what I face when I get home to repair my new CB...
Despite the damage, the engine runs fine.
45f4e37c91643ef8947e2df57fee31a1.jpg
This is the reason that I have a set of the Over engine protectors waiting before even my new CB 1100 arrives. That is also the first thing I put on any new bike.
I can vouch for the crash worthiness of the Over guards. When a deer put my bike down on it's left side, I was amazed at how well they worked. Not a scratch on anything behind the turn signal. First thing I did when I got home was to order a new set.
Bazbro_imp said:
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
That's a shame. :(

I seem to remember a poster here from a few years ago that crashed his CB on the way home from buying it. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if that happened to me.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
Yes, I can see that sounds funny. :D
It's a common expression here in the UK, for telegraph poles, street lights, cable boxes, etc. I didn't realise that you'd maybe not heard that before.
"Two nations divided by a common language". :D
 
Bazbro_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
Yes, I can see that sounds funny. :D
It's a common expression here in the UK, for telegraph poles, street lights, cable boxes, etc. I didn't realise that you'd maybe not heard that before.
"Two nations divided by a common language". :D
Love it.....keep 'em coming bro.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
No, GO, I don't think so. It was registered in October and totalled in October - I'm guessing the poor guy's first, or one of his first, rides.
It looks as though it was a low-speed hit from behind and shunted into a piece of street furniture, a low wall or something - it didn't fall over.
When I get home, I'll take some proper photos, and then show you the work in progress
Yes, Houtman, a very good idea and they're on my list! I had them on my CB750 back in '72 - they were quite a new thing then, I remember.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
"Street furniture" :rofl:
Definitely not into a mattress.
Yes, I can see that sounds funny. :D
It's a common expression here in the UK, for telegraph poles, street lights, cable boxes, etc. I didn't realise that you'd maybe not heard that before.
"Two nations divided by a common language". :D
Love it.....keep 'em coming bro.
Love it.....keep 'em coming bro.
I say, old chap, that's a spiffing idea! :rofl:
 
Back
Top