LED Headlight Upgrade

I asked Thomas to send me, or post his adapter drawing so it can be redrawn.

As the senior tech here (hey, I was here first! ;) ) I’ll assign the job to Peterbaron. Peter will assign it to Max and Max can assign it to Csory, the junior tech. He’s really good though :)
 
Was thinking the same thing but in a different order, your selection makes more sense though:sleepy:

And Csory can turn one of the Blue-and-something wires into a disco strobe for christmas piece a cake ( or strudel ).
 
the closest I come to riding at night is when I go through a tunnel.. I am curious though as to how my foggies would aid me in night driving .. maybe one day I will find out.. I think the newer LED lighting that has become available is the way to go myself.. but everyone has their own opinions.. thank God we all don't think exactly alike !! ..

chuckk ..

.
504d797fe6dd5813e967d91883aadf15.mp4
 
Chuckk i agree, those lights stand out very well, rode over the curved harbour bridge one day and saw these 2 bright yellow lights that turned out to be a motorcycle, they were probably 400m away and you could not miss them, very bright and draw your attention, nice video.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I asked Thomas to send me, or post his adapter drawing so it can be redrawn.

As the senior tech here (hey, I was here first! ;) ) I’ll assign the job to Peterbaron. Peter will assign it to Max and Max can assign it to Csory, the junior tech. He’s really good though :)
Hm, maybe my E-Mails didn't reach you.
I tried to send you my drawings.
To post them here I dont think that makes sense as they are really "handmade", not at all professional an not at all correct in terms of electricity. Only sketches. What to do?
 
I did receive them, but haven’t done anything with them yet. Sorry :blush:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I did receive them, but haven’t done anything with them yet. Sorry :blush:
Aha, I see, thank you for information!
I think there is no hurry at all.
It's winter now and I guess many bikers won't drive during the next 10-12 weeks. If anyone needs to know something for the modification he can ask here in the forum. I'll bee happy to give advice from my experience of this headlight modification.
Ciao :hello:
Ull Janrich
 
I can attest it's not only the LED headlight equipped CB's that have TERRIBLE output, rode my recently purchased '14 STD at night for the first time Monday and almost felt blindfolded in some roads, no fun.

I too look for a rather cost effective LED upgrade that is not as invasive as a whole new $500+ assy.
 
maybe try something like my foggies, but instead of yellow go with the white..$65. for the pair, if I recall .. I haven't used them at night, so I can't say if they would do the job..
Chuckk ..
.
09bb8f1cec94e7fb3e3e4afd9bebad65.mp4
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Anybody have a spare headlight bucket? This company will provide a free product to the person that sends them a bucket so that they can design a custom bracket for that model.

Honda & Yamaha | Adjustable Daymaker Brakets & Kits
Its been a year but if the offer still stands I believe I have an extra bucket and headlight for the 2014. I'd be willing to send it to them if I got a daymaker in return. My buddies have them on their Harleys and they're the brightest lights I've ever seen.

I just messaged them to see if their willing to make a custom plug and play kit for our models. Their kits all fall around the 150$ mark which is much kinder to the working man. If I wanted to spend 800$ on a headlight I woulda bought a Harley lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Anybody have a spare headlight bucket? This company will provide a free product to the person that sends them a bucket so that they can design a custom bracket for that model.

Honda & Yamaha | Adjustable Daymaker Brakets & Kits
Its been a year but if the offer still stands I believe I have an extra bucket and headlight for the 2014. I'd be willing to send it to them if I got a daymaker in return. My buddies have them on their Harleys and they're the brightest lights I've ever seen.

I just messaged them to see if their willing to make a custom plug and play kit for our models. Their kits all fall around the 150$ mark which is much kinder to the working man. If I wanted to spend 800$ on a headlight I woulda bought a Harley lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Its been a year but if the offer still stands I believe I have an extra bucket and headlight for the 2014. I'd be willing to send it to them if I got a daymaker in return. My buddies have them on their Harleys and they're the brightest lights I've ever seen.

I just messaged them to see if their willing to make a custom plug and play kit for our models. Their kits all fall around the 150$ mark which is much kinder to the working man. If I wanted to spend 800$ on a headlight I woulda bought a Harley lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I was thinking about doing it myself but life and riding got in the way as usual. Let us know what they say. I used their product on my VTX and am very happy with it.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Anybody have a spare headlight bucket? This company will provide a free product to the person that sends them a bucket so that they can design a custom bracket for that model.

Honda & Yamaha | Adjustable Daymaker Brakets & Kits
Its been a year but if the offer still stands I believe I have an extra bucket and headlight for the 2014. I'd be willing to send it to them if I got a daymaker in return. My buddies have them on their Harleys and they're the brightest lights I've ever seen.

I just messaged them to see if their willing to make a custom plug and play kit for our models. Their kits all fall around the 150$ mark which is much kinder to the working man. If I wanted to spend 800$ on a headlight I woulda bought a Harley lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Its been a year but if the offer still stands I believe I have an extra bucket and headlight for the 2014. I'd be willing to send it to them if I got a daymaker in return. My buddies have them on their Harleys and they're the brightest lights I've ever seen.

I just messaged them to see if their willing to make a custom plug and play kit for our models. Their kits all fall around the 150$ mark which is much kinder to the working man. If I wanted to spend 800$ on a headlight I woulda bought a Harley lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I was thinking about doing it myself but life and riding got in the way as usual. Let us know what they say. I used their product on my VTX and am very happy with it.
Its been a year but if the offer still stands I believe I have an extra bucket and headlight for the 2014. I'd be willing to send it to them if I got a daymaker in return. My buddies have them on their Harleys and they're the brightest lights I've ever seen.

I just messaged them to see if their willing to make a custom plug and play kit for our models. Their kits all fall around the 150$ mark which is much kinder to the working man. If I wanted to spend 800$ on a headlight I woulda bought a Harley lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I was thinking about doing it myself but life and riding got in the way as usual. Let us know what they say. I used their product on my VTX and am very happy with it. Will do! I sent then a message. Probably won't hear back till Monday

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Hey guys, wanted to follow up as a member reached out to me recently.

I heard back from daymaker last year but I was sent away for work and couldn't follow up.

I just replied to their email again but they were willing to work with me on developing a plug n play for our CB1100s.

Hopefully they're still willing and I will go through the measurements with them and mail out the extra headlight bucket to them.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
Hey guys, wanted to follow up as a member reached out to me recently.

I heard back from daymaker last year but I was sent away for work and couldn't follow up.

I just replied to their email again but they were willing to work with me on developing a plug n play for our CB1100s.

Hopefully they're still willing and I will go through the measurements with them and mail out the extra headlight bucket to them.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Hi mvk, are you still working on this ?
 
Peddlin\' Slow_imp" pid="155141" dateline="1450297380 said:
I have had my new ‘14 CB1100 for two months now and I am totally happy with it except for one item in particular, the poor performing headlight.

5abbc91f76385f3dae4dacc4446108b7.jpg


I did some random searching online without any really good results and figured it was maybe just not meant to be. I was talking to a good friend of mine about my dilemma and he suggested an upstart company in California called Motodemic. This company has produced some great LED headlight upgrades for Triumphs and Ducatis and I figured it would be worth a call to see if they could do something for the CB.

After some initial emails back and forth and a quick disassembly of the headlight, we determined the stock bucket and ring wouldn't work with the LED Evo 2 unit. I sent some basic measurements to them and they suggested that a OEM Triumph bucket would probably be the best option to fit all of the wiring found inside of the stock headlight. We also determined that there wasn't enough depth for the new bucket but the Dart flyscreen could remedy that (comes with longer ears). Motodemic put some photos together and gave me some color options, I pulled the trigger and a couple of days later the box arrived.

554fbfb61ec6279ce2c0717e4d2e0c1e.jpg


c74c7d0c4cd14e14ac3534c1da12df03.jpg


I went with a chrome bucket, black powder coated headlight ring and a chrome faced LED Evo 2 light. The fit was perfect with the Dart screen that I also ordered through them. The Dart headlight brackets pushed the headlight out about 2” which enabled the Thruxton bucket to drop right in with just enough room. There was tons of room for the wiring inside the bucket and it was a no brainer install, even for me.

Stock reflector left vs LED Evo 2 right.
7de6e5874b806d020280208ad88effb8.jpg


Stock wiring in headlight bucket.
8840c6bd7e9eee23f5246fcd157740be.jpg


Wiring placed in Triumph bucket.
4e523684108871a688c8857bb67d78e5.jpg


Just enough room with Dart side brackets installed.
e0c36ce2e00cc254cf22328a1d7570b5.jpg


The results are fantastic and the light is incredible. A brighter, whiter light with way more lumens to light the road and the look is killer too. The chrome bucket with the chrome face is just right for the classic look I love the CB so much for. The weather and timing for outdoor pics in Seattle has been less than stellar since installing. I’ll post some outdoor pics when the weather improves.

645337f23c63d407d29d921617e0210f.jpg


35dc441c7e0ea8a029756755e357b381.jpg


Motodemic also had some other options available and Brad, the owner, said he could produce custom headlight brackets for a headlight only install, without the Dart screen, if there is enough demand.

Photo without flyscreen for reference.
d87e1a112726f1cfda6d084e7c6672dd.jpg


One last note about dealing with Motodemic. The ordering was simple, the packaging was top notch and Brad is super easy to work with. It was really nice to actually talk to someone and get prompt service.

Anyways, cool to have the first one of a kind headlight setup like this out there, but sharing it with the CB crowd so they have the option of a killer upgrade like this is even better. Would love to hear back from you guys on what you think.

Happy riding.
That looks amazing. I have the same year and model. Motodemic updated the light and just the light is $560. Does it increase horsepower for that price? I don’t ride at night intentionally. So, my thoughts of upgrading to what you did are out the window.
 
Since someone mentioned the Auxito LED bulb, here's a comparison of what I believe to be an OEM bulb (Philips H4 60/55), a Hella H4 100/80, and the Auxito H4 LED. All photos were taken in a span of about 15 minutes, so ambient light didn't change much.

headlight comparison

I don't ride at night all that much, so I haven't been willing to pull the trigger on the motodemic upgrade. I was surprised by how much brighter the Auxito was, and how the Hella didn't seem like all that much of an improvement.
 
Back
Top