LED Headlight Upgrade

Peddlin' Slow_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have had my new ‘14 CB1100 for two months now and I am totally happy with it except for one item in particular, the poor performing headlight.

5abbc91f76385f3dae4dacc4446108b7.jpg


I did some random searching online without any really good results and figured it was maybe just not meant to be. I was talking to a good friend of mine about my dilemma and he suggested an upstart company in California called Motodemic. This company has produced some great LED headlight upgrades for Triumphs and Ducatis and I figured it would be worth a call to see if they could do something for the CB.

After some initial emails back and forth and a quick disassembly of the headlight, we determined the stock bucket and ring wouldn't work with the LED Evo 2 unit. I sent some basic measurements to them and they suggested that a OEM Triumph bucket would probably be the best option to fit all of the wiring found inside of the stock headlight. We also determined that there wasn't enough depth for the new bucket but the Dart flyscreen could remedy that (comes with longer ears). Motodemic put some photos together and gave me some color options, I pulled the trigger and a couple of days later the box arrived.

554fbfb61ec6279ce2c0717e4d2e0c1e.jpg


c74c7d0c4cd14e14ac3534c1da12df03.jpg


I went with a chrome bucket, black powder coated headlight ring and a chrome faced LED Evo 2 light. The fit was perfect with the Dart screen that I also ordered through them. The Dart headlight brackets pushed the headlight out about 2” which enabled the Thruxton bucket to drop right in with just enough room. There was tons of room for the wiring inside the bucket and it was a no brainer install, even for me.

Stock reflector left vs LED Evo 2 right.
7de6e5874b806d020280208ad88effb8.jpg


Stock wiring in headlight bucket.
8840c6bd7e9eee23f5246fcd157740be.jpg


Wiring placed in Triumph bucket.
4e523684108871a688c8857bb67d78e5.jpg


Just enough room with Dart side brackets installed.
e0c36ce2e00cc254cf22328a1d7570b5.jpg


The results are fantastic and the light is incredible. A brighter, whiter light with way more lumens to light the road and the look is killer too. The chrome bucket with the chrome face is just right for the classic look I love the CB so much for. The weather and timing for outdoor pics in Seattle has been less than stellar since installing. I’ll post some outdoor pics when the weather improves.

645337f23c63d407d29d921617e0210f.jpg


35dc441c7e0ea8a029756755e357b381.jpg


Motodemic also had some other options available and Brad, the owner, said he could produce custom headlight brackets for a headlight only install, without the Dart screen, if there is enough demand.

Photo without flyscreen for reference.
d87e1a112726f1cfda6d084e7c6672dd.jpg


One last note about dealing with Motodemic. The ordering was simple, the packaging was top notch and Brad is super easy to work with. It was really nice to actually talk to someone and get prompt service.

Anyways, cool to have the first one of a kind headlight setup like this out there, but sharing it with the CB crowd so they have the option of a killer upgrade like this is even better. Would love to hear back from you guys on what you think.

Happy riding.
 
So how much approx? And thanks for sharing. Wish you had before and after pics at night to see difference


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1st off welcome to the forum. Secondly that is a pretty slick conversion. Thanks for doing the legwork and sharing it with the group.
 
That's a heck of a first post !! Being informative and valuable to the forum from the get go. Welcome to the forum Peddlin' Slow. That's a great Mod, I'd be curious on the cost as well. Round about $$ would be great.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Nice Mod, but i'm curious, after you bought the parts, did you try to fit the LED lens into the CB ring ?
We haven't heard about pricing yet.

Curious if anyone knows the Triumph counterpart to Hondabikes.com,where oem parts are only 20% over cost?
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone! I'm glad to contribute to this great community.

Elipten_imp said:
So how much approx? And thanks for sharing. Wish you had before and after pics at night to see difference


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Initially Motodemic suggest their LED Evo 2 that Jim linked and recommend I go with the Metric housing. After laying out all of the measurements, and my request for a chrome bucket, we thought it'd be best to fill the space with an OEM Triumph bucket they stock. Going that route did increase the price but the results made it worth it.

Custom headlight combo came out to $477 plus $180 for the Dart Flyscreen.

I did take some before photos at night, as soon as the weather lets me I'll get some with the LED.

JF Coastal_imp said:
Thanks! Came out to about $660 with the Dart Marlin

Chapomis_imp said:
Nice Mod, but i'm curious, after you bought the parts, did you try to fit the LED lens into the CB ring ?
That was the first thing Motodemic had me verify before shipping everything. I removed the light and sent photos to them to reverse engineer but the stock lens and ring are mated in a non standard way.
 
Hey, Nice job! I'm not sure what company actually makes them, but these 7" LED lamps are incredibly popular in the Jeep Wrangler community. My brother-in-law just put them in his JK-series Wrangler, and he says it's a vast improvement over the dim stockers. They're very well-regarded, and apparently work quite well. I briefly looked into doing this same job with my new CB, but I couldn't find anyone who made the compatible bucket and brackets. I honestly thought I was on a wild goose chase, so I gave up without very much effort. I'm thankful to say this thread changes that!
 
Thread starter
Bob Sdaman_imp said:
Hey, Nice job! I'm not sure what company actually makes them, but these 7" LED lamps are incredibly popular in the Jeep Wrangler community. My brother-in-law just put them in his JK-series Wrangler, and he says it's a vast improvement over the dim stockers. They're very well-regarded, and apparently work quite well. I briefly looked into doing this same job with my new CB, but I couldn't find anyone who made the compatible bucket and brackets. I honestly thought I was on a wild goose chase, so I gave up without very much effort. I'm thankful to say this thread changes that!
Glad to hear your search may be over. Give Motodemic a shout and I know they can get you what you need. I am very happy with the quality and the light it gives off. I have a couple of pics that I'll post shortly that shows the difference.
I appreciate all the comments so far. Great community to belong to!
 
Moin:hello:

My name is Tom, I come from Germany.

The LED upgrade is a nice idea and performed in a custom way.
The brightness of the light brings a lot of security.........but
it is not "Old School"

I prefare a "Downgrade" in the 70th

It looks like this:


[attachment=3909]


[attachment=3910]


It is a ripple glas fully chromplatet headlight from the Honda CX Series.
I don't like the modern clear glas headlight ,because the bulbs look ugly.


"Delighted" Christmas Greets from Northern Germany
T:cool:M
 
Thread starter
Finally got a chance to take a night photo. Pictures do not do the light justice, really happy with this setup.

Stock
3b4cea012f5800dd850aa625de5d296b.jpg


Motodemic LED
852eb6542905eea7f9e533237965b936.jpg


I still need to play with the aiming a little bit. I think my stock light was low and I have the LED just a little high.
 
Peddlin\' Slow_imp" pid="155154" dateline="1454624340 said:
Finally got a chance to take a night photo. Pictures do not do the light justice, really happy with this setup.

Stock
3b4cea012f5800dd850aa625de5d296b.jpg


Motodemic LED
852eb6542905eea7f9e533237965b936.jpg


I still need to play with the aiming a little bit. I think my stock light was low and I have the LED just a little high.

If that was high beam. Agree the stock headlight was way too low. That's about where my low beam hits with my highbeam adjusted for the night time riding I do and believe my high beam would be easily hit midway up that fence.
 
I see 3 black holes on the road surface. If you bring the headlight lower, will the holes disappear?

Edit:
One thing I learned about glass refractors:


is that it's 70% efficient (30% light energy is lost through transmission), whereas light that's bounced off of a reflector (w/ 99% reflective surface) and then passed through a clear lens (like our CB1100 headlight) is 90% efficient. Efficiency=lumens outside the headlight / lumens from the light source (light bulb). But my eyes have deteriorated over the years, I can't tell the difference, to be honest....
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Peddlin\' Slow_imp" pid="155154" dateline="1454624340 said:
Finally got a chance to take a night photo. Pictures do not do the light justice, really happy with this setup.

Stock
3b4cea012f5800dd850aa625de5d296b.jpg


Motodemic LED
852eb6542905eea7f9e533237965b936.jpg


I still need to play with the aiming a little bit. I think my stock light was low and I have the LED just a little high.

If that was high beam. Agree the stock headlight was way too low. That's about where my low beam hits with my highbeam adjusted for the night time riding I do and believe my high beam would be easily hit midway up that fence.
Both are low beam. Im no photographer and taking these photos at night proved to be difficult. I wouldn't say these are a scientific comparison. :angel:

Here is a high beam photo I grabbed, unfortunately it was in a different spot.
99a2d2be655b2adc6797e504ec49f5f6.jpg


jedd_imp said:
I see 3 black holes on the road surface. If you bring the headlight lower, will the holes disappear?

Edit:
One thing I learned about glass refractors:


is that it's 70% efficient (30% light energy is lost through transmission), whereas light that's bounced off of a reflector (w/ 99% reflective surface) and then passed through a clear lens (like our CB1100 headlight) is 90% efficient. Efficiency=lumens outside the headlight / lumens from the light source (light bulb). But my eyes have deteriorated over the years, I can't tell the difference, to be honest....
Now that you point that out in the photo I see it but I dont really see those in real world. :huh:
 
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but those bulbs are like $60 with free shipping from China. Is anyone is selling a CB kit for reasonable price yet? I really don't want to retrofit. And $600+ is bonkers
 
Very nice upgrade for those with money to burn. I upgraded my H4 bulb with a brigther Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9003. Big improvement for around ten bucks.
 
Back
Top