Leaky wheels/tires?

Papa Weeley_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Is anyone else having a problem with their tires losing air? Mine lose about 2-3 lbs. per month. Luckily I check them fairly often, but this seems like a lot of loss for that short amount of time. And it's both the front and rear at an even rate, not just one, so it's not like there's a leak in just one of them.
Just curious if that's the "norm" for these cast wheels?!
 
Mine do the same, maybe even a bit more. I check them every couple weeks and put a couple pounds in. All my bikes do that - cast, spoke, new, old - so I never really thought much about it.
 
My tire pressures go up and down with temperature changes which is normal.

I would try making a heavy soap solution using dish washing detergent and brush it onto the tire bead areas and valve, wait a while as this solution will stick quite well and should reveal any small leaks. Next I would try soaping the tires and then the wheels. A soft brush works well for this.
 
That's quite normal.
Even my other tubeless tire bikes and tubed bikes lose air and I have to top them up as needed. I check the tire pressure every week.
My car tires also lose air over time.
 
I have to add air about every other ride, which is every couple days, for all three bikes.
 
Yep, mine too.

When new, they leaked a fair amount more, but as (I guess) they seated on the rim the loss settled down to your rate.

My car did the same thing when I got new tires.
 
The colder it gets, the more they leak. You could get some bed-liner and paint the insides of the rims with it. Very light coat. Then remount and re-balance the tires. Pain in the butt but no more leaks. Cast wheels are often slightly porous. YRMV.
 
You can actually buy Bead Sealer at your local auto store. I used it on some lawn mower wheels, but never on my vehicle tires as I have a shop mount them.
 
Thread starter
I guess I should take some consolation in the fact that everybody else is experiencing the same thing, but I still find it kind of odd. I know that all tires/wheels will lose air over time, but I don't recall having another bike (or car) that loses that much that quickly.
I've also heard many times over the years that cast wheels can be porous, but every sportbike I've had has had cast wheels, and still, nothing leaky like this (other than a front on an old Ducati, which went away after a tire change). My presently-owned '12 Bonneville has cast wheels, too, and it only loses that much in about 4-6 months (depending on weather/time of year/etc.).
I guess I'll just try to keep an eye on them - thanks for the input, guys -
 
I had the same problem as minor as it is it still annoyed me to no end. I changed the cores in the air valves last month will see how it goes.
 
Interesting. I have ridden over 3000kms in the last ten days. I checked and adjusted tyre pressure prior to departure. Checked them once on the ride. No major deviation taking different temps into consideration. On arrival home the front was down 1psi, the rear spot on 42psi. At home I do have to adjust occasionally but probably due to temperature deviations as much as pressure loss. I have an electric pump with built in gauge (Stanley) and use another bar type gauge as cross check. I have the sense that the tyres seem to require more frequent adjustment if the bike lies (comparatively) idle.

Cheers
 
Funny this topic came up today. I left out on my Nighthawk and didnt make it too the end of the street and knew something didnt feel right. Turned around and came home and the front tire had like 15 lbs of pressure in it. Aired it up and checked thinking I had run over a screw or something. Back tire was low too but not that low. I am guilty of not checking them but I dont understand how they just up and lose air without running over something. I need to do a better job in the future. I need to check this at least once a month and I have not been doing this. :blush: This is a good lesson learned for me. I cant tell you how ill handling the Nighthawk was with low air pressure.

Bottom line is that I got lazy and all I want to do is ride and not work on anything. That is going to have to change and I will take this much more serious in the future.
 
"I dont understand how they just up and lose air without running over something"

The molecules of air and especially the water vapor component in the air dissipate through the rubber over time.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Funny this topic came up today. I left out on my Nighthawk and didnt make it too the end of the street and knew something didnt feel right. Turned around and came home and the front tire had like 15 lbs of pressure in it. Aired it up and checked thinking I had run over a screw or something. Back tire was low too but not that low. I am guilty of not checking them but I dont understand how they just up and lose air without running over something. I need to do a better job in the future. I need to check this at least once a month and I have not been doing this. :blush: This is a good lesson learned for me. I cant tell you how ill handling the Nighthawk was with low air pressure.

Bottom line is that I got lazy and all I want to do is ride and not work on anything. That is going to have to change and I will take this much more serious in the future.
Mate, 15psi is danger territory, unless your riding in loose sand :). Once a week, or two at a stretch, is good for tyre checks. Get your own gauge. Don't need a digital, just a good quality stick gauge to back up the service station's gauge. If you get your own then look for one with the range approximately 5 - 50psi. They are generally most accurate in the middle of the gauge range.

Cheers.
 
I don't think I've read this anywhere yet....how to you calibrate/check your air gauge for accuracy?

I've taken mine to the local tire store and had them check mine against theirs, but is there an official way to do it?
 
I bought a small electric air pump that has a gauge included and keep it plugged in next to the battery tender. I do a quick check of the tires after unplugging the tender. Takes less than a minute to add air if needed.....It's become habit along with the rest of the pre-ride once over.
 
I check tire pressure at the start of every ride. Pressures can be weird at times and I think humidity and air temperature have much to do with it. My Honda dealer sells all bikes with nitrogen in the tires claiming it eliminates this problem. I've found it makes no difference whatever.
 
Oh-oh, now you done it! Mentioned nitrogen in tires.
Gonna become just like an oil thread now! :(
Blockhead_imp said:
I bought a small electric air pump that has a gauge included and keep it plugged in next to the battery tender. I do a quick check of the tires after unplugging the tender. Takes less than a minute to add air if needed.....It's become habit along with the rest of the pre-ride once over.
I bought one too at WalMart. When I use my stick gauge to double check the air pump's reading, it's in agreement. I had a Black and Decker previously that was wildly inaccurate when I would double check with a stick gauge and a digital gauge. Turns out the tip that you attach to the tire valve was leaking badly. Went to B&D store for a replacement tip and hose, and they are no longer made, nor do they support their older models. Very disappointed in them.
 
Back
Top