Leaking Fork Seal?

linuxology_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
How can one tell if they have a leaking fork seal? If one sees oil on the shiny parts of the fork shock while riding is that a sign of leaking fork? How urgent is it to get it to a shop? In other words can it wait a few weeks. Never had one, but think i may have one on the CB at 8000 miles :, (
 
Usually there is a visible dirty ring higher on the fork tube where the suspension action pushed it, or in the case of a really bad leak oil will run down the lower fork tube.
 
It'd look like this:


and this
12e6662d307b3bd293d10c3dc379bd50.JPG


and it's not a critical thing to get serviced right away.
I've gone as long as letting my fork seal leak fluid for 6 months before replacing my seal.
 
I had a leaking fork seal on my Shadow 600. Being in college at the time, I couldn't afford to fix it. Rode it with one for 6 months before fixing it and didn't have any problems. It was pretty bad too, leaking down the lower part of the fork. It was on the opposite side of the fork from the front brake though so it didn't affect braking at all. Seeing how the CB has two front discs, may want to make sure it doesn't leak onto the rotor.
 
Fork seals are the devil. I've had bikes go forever not having to replace one but sometimes they get a bit of dirt in them and they leak. There are cleaners that cost about 25 bucks that slide down between the seal and the fork to dislodge any debris. It's worth a try.
 
A short strip of camera film can be slipped under the edge of the seal to dislodge particles that are causing a seal to leak. If the seal is damaged it will need be replaced.
 
Agree with the camera film, but is it even available for sale anymore? I haven't seen any of those ubiquitous yellow Kodak signs for a decade! And I'm a curmudgeon.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Agree with the camera film, but is it even available for sale anymore? I haven't seen any of those ubiquitous yellow Kodak signs for a decade! And I'm a curmudgeon.
Every curmudgeon should have some old negatives about.

For the sake of clarity for younger forum members, in this sense negatives do not infer vices or character flaws are inherit in curmudgeons.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Agree with the camera film, but is it even available for sale anymore? I haven't seen any of those ubiquitous yellow Kodak signs for a decade! And I'm a curmudgeon.
Better to use one of these:
e91b0de6ddb0dc3e9e689844d9991e88.jpg
 
There's a tool designed to clean out the seal, similar to the camera film fix. It's called Seal Mate and costs around $6-$7. If the seal isn't damaged, it actually works! Check out their video :

Seal Mate Will Fix Your Leaky Fork Seals Guaranteed!

Fork seal replacement can be a pain in the butt, so I strongly recommend either the Seal Mate or the film trick before you tear into the forks.
 
I'd second buying the tool. It's specifically designed to grab under the dirt and pull it out. You can accomplish this with film (dirt sticks in the tractor feed) or a feeler, but it won't work as well or be as foolproof.
 
For us old cheapos if you can't scrounge up some old film negatives in your personal archives a bit of clear water bottle should work since they tend to use a really thin plastic on those flimsy things.

A soda bottle is probably too thick since it needs to hold in the carbonation.

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I used a piece of paper that was laminated with thin stock to slide down the tube. I passed the card 2-3 times. I pumped the forks about 10-20 times wiping them down intermediately. I rode for about 5 minutes and low and behold nothing on the forks. Unless I post back in the next 2 weeks I will consider it fixed. Thanks to all for the tip!!!!
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Fork tubes can get nicked by stones causing a burr that can ruin a seal as well.
Always check, otherwise your new seal may not last very long either.
Yes. Dead insects, dried on the fork, will do the same. Just fix it. Jamming film or objects in there is just as likely to rip the seal. It just happens sometimes, like a nail in your tire. Why have oil leaking and flying all over the place, like on your brake rotor, controls, etcetera?

I saw a post on one forum, the guy was saying how his rear brake sucked and didn't work at all on his 2016 ZX-10R. No one could figure it out, he got all kinds of advice about bleeding it (bad idea with a full ABS system as he had) and such.

A few hours later the same guy posted that earlier the same day, his oil filler cap (an aftermarket piece, not safety-wired or properly tightened, apparently) had come off and spewed oil all over the right side of the bike; he post images of the tire, wheel, and appurtenances coated with nice fresh oil.

Not surprisingly, no one on the forum made the patently obvious deduction that the reason his rear brake did not work was because, perhaps, it was coated with a prodigious quantity of motor oil?

Motorcycles are machines, they are very predictable in design and behavior. The only things new about them are the digital technology and intervention systems, which can be baffling. (This is why matrices and algorithms are taught in higher-level math classes these days).

Fork seals, oil, oil filters, cams, crankshafts, wheels, tires, suspension...it all works the same as it did. Just get her fixed and be confident about the bike, it is better than worrying.
Flynrider_imp said:
There's a tool designed to clean out the seal, similar to the camera film fix. It's called Seal Mate and costs around $6-$7. If the seal isn't damaged, it actually works! Check out their video :

Seal Mate Will Fix Your Leaky Fork Seals Guaranteed!

Fork seal replacement can be a pain in the butt, so I strongly recommend either the Seal Mate or the film trick before you tear into the forks.
I can go along with that; if it's already leaking you don't have much to lose except the 6 bucks. Worth a try.
 
Back
Top