Larger rear sprocket

Mine arrived today. Just holding it up it, at least the bolts, seem to match. It'll be a couple of days before I get to it and with the predicted rain, "pineapple express", a couple of more days before I can run it out and see what's, what! Keep ya'll posted.

By the way, it arrived 5 days early!
f99c851ec30b43896a5a014c4a23085e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Painted the new sprocket black. Pulled the tire. Went to pull the sprocket and saw some interesting retainers on the sprocket bolts. Before I go making a mess of things, I thought I'd ask, is there anything I need to know about removing these? Or, do they just spin off with the nut?


While I'm asking, if anyone has access to the torque setting for these bolds I'd appreciate greatly if you could share them. Thanks!
a12b112875e945ab6a6502b39bca6b2e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Never mind, found my answer. Should have searched first!

Torque values for sprockets

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
Painted the new sprocket black. Pulled the tire. Went to pull the sprocket and saw some interesting retainers on the sprocket bolts. Before I go making a mess of things, I thought I'd ask, is there anything I need to know about removing these? Or, do they just spin off with the nut?


While I'm asking, if anyone has access to the torque setting for these bolds I'd appreciate greatly if you could share them. Thanks!
a12b112875e945ab6a6502b39bca6b2e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Never mind, found my answer. Should have searched first!

Torque values for sprockets

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
So, should have read before starting. Those bolts are tough to break once the tire is dismounted. Fortunately, I have one of these!
fb59fed17fad945a1111b19f3219f02e.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Driven sprocket nut 80 ft lbs.
 
Thread starter
Let me know how it goes. Mine should arrive some time next week.

Surprised you painted yours black- I am actually happy it is silver as it should be.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Let me know how it goes. Mine should arrive some time next week.

Surprised you painted yours black- I am actually happy it is silver as it should be.
I went back and forth on painting it. I live less than a mile from the Pacific coast and everything, not painted, rusts. I figured better safe than sorry.

I got-er-done! The bolts on the sprocket threw me a bit. They look like they have a built in retainer? As it turned out they were not an issue. Anyway, it was like trying to remove lugnuts from a tire, that has been removed from the car mounted to the hub! If you don't have an impact driver, do yourself a favor, loosen the sprocket nuts before pulling the tire, as suggested in another post.

I took it for a very short ride between rain showers. Saweeeeeet! I really did not expect much from a 2 tooth increase. I am surprised! She came alive. I love my CB just the way she was but, dang! The difference is amazing. She pulls, out of a curve, like never before. It's like the sweet spot, in her power curve, just moved to where I want to access it the most. Reminds me of my GS750ES back in the 80s!

I did not get her out on the freeway, to see the impact to cursing speeds. I'll try to document "rpm vs mph" through the upper gears. Personally, my driving rarely gets me to 6th gear anyway. I don't expect much impact.

Here is my baby in all her glory! Love em nehked!
502dd8e654ca67f00c5af152272a7914.jpg
cab59f40ef0646a794859f6d1cc2601a.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Let me know how it goes. Mine should arrive some time next week.

Surprised you painted yours black- I am actually happy it is silver as it should be.
I went back and forth on painting it. I live less than a mile from the Pacific coast and everything, not painted, rusts. I figured better safe than sorry.

I got-er-done! The bolts on the sprocket threw me a bit. They look like they have a built in retainer? As it turned out they were not an issue. Anyway, it was like trying to remove lugnuts from a tire, that has been removed from the car mounted to the hub! If you don't have an impact driver, do yourself a favor, loosen the sprocket nuts before pulling the tire, as suggested in another post.

I took it for a very short ride between rain showers. Saweeeeeet! I really did not expect much from a 2 tooth increase. I am surprised! She came alive. I love my CB just the way she was but, dang! The difference is amazing. She pulls, out of a curve, like never before. It's like the sweet spot, in her power curve, just moved to where I want to access it the most. Reminds me of my GS750ES back in the 80s!

I did not get her out on the freeway, to see the impact to cursing speeds. I'll try to document "rpm vs mph" through the upper gears. Personally, my driving rarely gets me to 6th gear anyway. I don't expect much impact.

Here is my baby in all her glory! Love em nehked!
502dd8e654ca67f00c5af152272a7914.jpg
cab59f40ef0646a794859f6d1cc2601a.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Nice! Those '17 air cleaner covers look perfect on your Standard, Retsel! Simple way to add some contrast and depth and a splash of chrome.

When you get chance, I'm curious to see what RPMs you run in 6th at freeway speeds (65 - 75 mph)? I do just enough highway commuting that I don't want to lose all of the CB's smoothness by going with this sprocket too.
 
Thread starter
Those ‘17 airbox covers look better on your bike than they do on a ‘17.
ce62ed20e0e9f499f2bfdf90aacee581.png


And even black, I like your rear sprocket. The open design is more pleasing to me.

The change in rpm / power is about 5% if I remember correctly.

Enough to feel the accel without being annoyed by the revs.

You can play around on the gearing commander website to see all the effects.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks! I am extremely happy with the results! I had my ECU re-programed, by Guth, thinking I'd get this type of difference. Nor even close!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Those ‘17 airbox covers look better on your bike than they do on a ‘17.
ce62ed20e0e9f499f2bfdf90aacee581.png


And even black, I like your rear sprocket. The open design is more pleasing to me.

The change in rpm / power is about 5% if I remember correctly.

Enough to feel the accel without being annoyed by the revs.

You can play around on the gearing commander website to see all the effects.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You can play around on the gearing commander website to see all the effects."

Wow, fun site. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
PD,
You may have mentioned this in one of the previous posts so apologies if I'm being redundant but what RPM are you hitting at say 70 or 75 in 6th gear with the stock sprocket?
 
Thread starter
The sprocket just showed up.

Of course I have to work so it will probably not be installed until sometime later this week or weekend.

Fine because I have not had the bike out in several months due to the cold weather, tremendous potholes, gravel etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
The sprocket just showed up.

Of course I have to work so it will probably not be installed until sometime later this week or weekend.

Fine because I have not had the bike out in several months due to the cold weather, tremendous potholes, gravel etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the new sprocket, you be fly'n over them potholes and da gravel!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top