Key Blank Info for ?14 CB1100?

ardbeglily_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
ardbeglily_imp said:
Does anyone know the Ilco blank key for a 2014 CB?. Thanks
Ilco HD109
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
It's the same for a 2013. I've had 3 duplicates made with that blank, no problem.
 
Thread starter
ardbeglily_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
ardbeglily_imp said:
Does anyone know the Ilco blank key for a 2014 CB?. Thanks
Ilco HD109
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
Correct key blank. You can see on posts 23 - 26 of this thread, I had the same problem. It took the locksmith and staff 5 times to cut my key correctly. There was no extra charge, of course, considering 3 key blanks they wasted. It may be hit or miss with getting our keys cut correctly considering the experience of the person cutting the key, and/ or the the key cutting machine they are using.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
ardbeglily_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
ardbeglily_imp said:
Does anyone know the Ilco blank key for a 2014 CB?. Thanks
Ilco HD109
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
Correct key blank. You can see on posts 23 - 26 of this thread, I had the same problem. It took the locksmith and staff 5 times to cut my key correctly. There was no extra charge, of course, considering 3 key blanks they wasted. It may be hit or miss with getting our keys cut correctly considering the experience of the person cutting the key, and/ or the the key cutting machine they are using.
Ilco HD109
That’s what my locksmith used but she had a problem with it.
Correct key blank. You can see on posts 23 - 26 of this thread, I had the same problem. It took the locksmith and staff 5 times to cut my key correctly. There was no extra charge, of course, considering 3 key blanks they wasted. It may be hit or miss with getting our keys cut correctly considering the experience of the person cutting the key, and/ or the the key cutting machine they are using. She is very experienced and was able to cut one for my ST1300 which I think is the same blank.
 
The correct Honda part number for the 2014 model key blank is 35121-MGP-A01. My local key maker cut the new key by duplication of the original and it worked perfectly. I would be shocked if your local key cutter kept the Correct Honda key in stock because it’s around $35. I purposely told my locksmith the cost so they would take their time and not ruin the $35 key blank.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
It's a good idea to record the key tag number in your owners manual (or elsewhere). You never know when you might need it.
Sorry LR, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, writing the "Key Code" in the owners manual is not recommended.
From previous work experience, Thieves always go to the OM, jot down the hand written Key code then have a copy of the key made from the code and steal the vehicle afterwards.
Especially that the motorcycle does not have the "Vehicle Immobilizer" theft deterrent system.
May be write the key code down on the invoice slip.
I've seen many reports concerning this style of theft.
 
My new NC 750 has a bar code on a paper tag with the spare key instead of a number
 
I'm not really understanding how a bar code tag would work. Could you post a pic of that? :angel:
 
Uhh, Ferret, re my post. Adjust your sarcasm detector :D I was joking. You know. Get your code, get a key, sneak into your barn or whatever…

Maybe not. I know you have my address and and I’d hate to see you and your son show up mad…
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Uhh, Ferret, re my post. Adjust your sarcasm detector :D I was joking. You know. Get your code, get a key, sneak into your barn or whatever…

Maybe not. I know you have my address and and I’d hate to see you and your son show up mad…

Ohhh :blush:

Actually I didn't understand it when they handed it to me.

Getting another spare key for the NC has not been easy. I normally carry a flat spare in my wallet especially on a trip. First off my local dealer doesn't cut keys. Mr Lock and Ace Hdw both said they couldn't get the blank. I can get the blank from Honda (but it's not flat and has a bulbous head) but it's nearly $30 then Mr Lock says he can duplicate my "wave key " (that's what they are called for some reason) for another $6.

I really wanted 2 spares so I could make a knob for the frunk, but I'm not paying $66 for 2 spare keys for pete's sake.

The spare for my CB was like $4
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
It's a good idea to record the key tag number in your owners manual (or elsewhere). You never know when you might need it.
Sorry LR, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, writing the "Key Code" in the owners manual is not recommended.
From previous work experience, Thieves always go to the OM, jot down the hand written Key code then have a copy of the key made from the code and steal the vehicle afterwards.
Especially that the motorcycle does not have the "Vehicle Immobilizer" theft deterrent system.
May be write the key code down on the invoice slip.
I've seen many reports concerning this style of theft.
Sorry LR, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, writing the "Key Code" in the owners manual is not recommended.
From previous work experience, Thieves always go to the OM, jot down the hand written Key code then have a copy of the key made from the code and steal the vehicle afterwards.
Especially that the motorcycle does not have the "Vehicle Immobilizer" theft deterrent system.
May be write the key code down on the invoice slip.
I've seen many reports concerning this style of theft.
Source? I am interested in who collects theft data at this level of detail as this sounds very anecdotal. Having it written in a manual seems no more or less safe than keeping it on the aluminum tag.
 
In the old days ('80s-'90s), Honda motorcycle dealers had a hand held key cutter that they could cut keys by code if you had the code translation book. Later, in the 2000s, Honda made available a programmable key machine, but less than 5% of dealers bought them,

The 2017 CB1100EX uses a key with a milled pattern. The newer key codes provided are nearly useless in the US. There is no code translation. Literally only a handful of Honda motorcycle dealers with the newest computerized equipment to cut the the new style by code. Even car dealers are referring customers to locksmiths.

Next time you're at a dealer, ask how they would cut keys.
 
Back
Top