Key Blank Info for ?14 CB1100?

suhawk305

Road warrior
Thread starter
Recently there was a discussion about “flat” keys cut by a locksmith for our CBs. I know the Ferret was part of that discussion.
I just got had one cut, it will reluctantly go into the ignition cylinder, but the key will not turn. I believe the key blank is correct, but the key cut is off.

Question: what brand and number key blank are you guys have so I can verify the locksmith is using the correct key blank?

What I have: ilco X265, HD109.
According to the ilco web site, this is a Honda motorcycle key blank.
 
I bought a Honda key blank that I’m waiting for it to arrive. Paid $30 for it so it better be what I’m expecting.
 
Thread starter
My goal is to buy just the flat key without the Honda plastic on it. The key blank and cut cost $12 at my local locksmith.

Update, I hit the cut burs with a wire brush and now the key will turn the seat, helmet lock cylinder. However, it will not work on the ignition cylinder. Probably the correct key blank, but the cut is a little off.
 
suhawk..mine is an Ilco X265. HD109

Geez I got mine done at the local Mr Lock and key blank and cutting were $4.00 I believe. It unlocks everything, and works in the ignition. I rode the bike there and tested it right out front of his shop to make sure it worked before I rode off.
 
Thread starter
Ferret, Thank for verifying that for me. Yea, they had a sign stating that all motorcycle keys are $12. I wonder if the owner has something against motorcycles? I paid just $3.50 for a single side cut cabinet key at the same time. Who knows?
 
If the blank key is cut by proper device/method = must work flawlessly. Do you have OEM key tag?
Cutting method by duplication may experience problem with ignition switch, and Honda key is a long one.
 
Thread starter
Peter, yes,I gave my OEM key to the locksmith worker. He seemed to struggle with cutting the key, it took him two blanks. Before I left, he advised me to try the key to make sure it works.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
Peter, yes,I gave my OEM key to the locksmith worker. He seemed to struggle with cutting the key, it took him two blanks. Before I left, he advised me to try the key to make sure it works.
so, he cut it by duplication :( , correct ?
The longer the key, the more proper method is required to cut it, which is not by duplication. A professional will ask you for the key tag, not your key..


286038b11eef275f09c7062443720830.jpg


The little metal strap called key tag has a number on its reverse ( I did not revel it for security reason)
Do it right or do not do it at all
 
They cut mine by duplication. No issue.
 
Thread starter
Yep, I gave him the key with the tag, same as your picture. It look like the key move a little when he was cutting it.
 
100% he cut it by duplication...brush it off and see how it works.
Ferret was lucky or had an experienced guy..or both :)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
Peter, yes,I gave my OEM key to the locksmith worker. He seemed to struggle with cutting the key, it took him two blanks. Before I left, he advised me to try the key to make sure it works.
so, he cut it by duplication :( , correct ?
The longer the key, the more proper method is required to cut it, which is not by duplication. A professional will ask you for the key tag, not your key..


286038b11eef275f09c7062443720830.jpg


The little metal strap called key tag has a number on its reverse ( I did not revel it for security reason)
Do it right or do not do it at all
so, he cut it by duplication :( , correct ?
The longer the key, the more proper method is required to cut it, which is not by duplication. A professional will ask you for the key tag, not your key..

29fe1785526e9c078b25430e8dd7a9f8.jpg


The little metal strap called key tag has a number on its reverse ( I did not revel it for security reason)
Do it right or do not do it at all
Never got a metal tag with my keys. Duplication works if the cutter has decent experience. I used to do that job once myself.
 
The key code tag is not very useful as locksmiths dont have the specific key cutting machine and code translation to do so. And due to the machine's expense, only a handful of Honda motorcycle dealers have them.

Best bet is to search for "Honda motorcycle keys cut by code" online. There are even some on ebay.
 
Found this cycle keys online it states keys can be cut from the key code ,$11.00 plus shipping usually 2 to3 days . Looks promising.
 
obleo_imp said:
Found this cycle keys online it states keys can be cut from the key code ,$11.00 plus shipping usually 2 to3 days . Looks promising.
For convenience, is there a link you can share with the Forum obleo?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
lol - I don't even know where my second key is. Haven't seen it in years.
The first thing I do when getting a new bike is getting two spare keys cut , use them and put the original ones away in a safe place in our basement.
 
Back
Top