Spare Key

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
We have talked before about a spare key for our bikes, one we can hide away on the bike someplace, or carry in our wallets for emergencies..

Today I ran down to my local Mr Lock and had a spare key cut. Flat-top. For future reference, they used an ILCO HD109 blank and cut the shoulders back because my 14 key was longer than the std blank, any locksmith will understand and should know what to do. Works perfectly.



Won't work on bikes with the HISS security system.

$4 and tax
 
The ferret_imp said:
We have talked before about a spare key for our bikes, one we can hide away on the bike someplace, or carry in our wallets for emergencies..

Today I ran down to my local Mr Lock and had a spare key cut. Flat-top. For future reference, they used an ILCO HD109 blank and cut the shoulders back because my 14 key was longer than the std blank, any locksmith will understand and should know what to do. Works perfectly.



Won't work on bikes with the HISS security system.

$4 and tax

I wonder if the '14 key is longer than the '13 key? I also have a spare on an ILCO HD109 for my '13. The blank matched the stock key perfectly with no modification.

I thought the '13 key was already ridiculously long for a motorcycle key. Can't believe they'd make it even longer.
 
Thread starter
My 14 key measures 2" from bottom of thick part to tip and 1 1/4" from shoulder of cut section to tip
 
My '13 key has the same measurements. I don't recall the locksmith mentioning having to cut the shoulders back on the blank. It doesn't look like they were cut. Go figure!
 
Thread starter
Last year they made me a key for my 13 which I gave to the dealer when I traded it in, and they didn't have to cut shoulders last year but I don't recall what blank they used. Is the head different on the 13 vs 14? I don't recall what the 13 looked like.
 
My '13 key looks just like your '14. Must be a very subtle difference.
 
Good to know. I assumed the bike required the OE key so the ECU would recognize it, as a theft deterrent. All of my other bikes have that feature. Guess I should reread my owner's manual. But come on, $2.50 for a blank? A spare key for my F800GT costs $65 and takes two weeks. I don't even want to think about buying a spare for the Duc.
 
Thread starter
I think my son had to get one for his Duc, if memory serves me it was $220 or thereabouts. he will be here in a bit for dinner I will try and remember to ask him.

Edit: asked son about it tonight. Yep he lost one of his Duc keys and had to buy another.
HE said something about laser cut and code imbedded bla bla bla bottom line. It was $ 250.00
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Good to know. I assumed the bike required the OE key so the ECU would recognize it, as a theft deterrent. All of my other bikes have that feature. Guess I should reread my owner's manual. But come on, $2.50 for a blank? A spare key for my F800GT costs $65 and takes two weeks. I don't even want to think about buying a spare for the Duc.
You would only have to worry about that if we had the Honda's HISS. Since we don't get that in the US, a regular key blank will work.

Blanks are available from Honda, but aren't $2.99! If you really want to decorate your spare generic blank, that Honda winged emblem on the OEM key is available to order. They are a self stick emblem. I have 4 or them laying around that I haven't used yet.
 
Back
Top