Kawasaki Z900RS

Haven’t watched it yet, but there’s one on Honda as well,
 
I got to take a Z900RS for a short ride today after a customer who commited to buying the bike backed out. So, I knew that might be my only shot for a while to ride one. We only ordered one of these and we have had a ton of inquiries, so I don't expect it to last long.

When the bike first hit the showroom, I couldn't get over the proportions, especially the tank. It was much wider than I expected, but compromises are to be made when constructing a modern interpretation of a classic. Same goes for the single shock rear end and large gap between the tire and rear fender. It isn't as accurate an interpretation of a 1970s UJM as the CB1100, but it started to grow on me. There are some nice nods to the 1970s, like the gloss black swingarm and frame, cross laced-like cast wheels, and tuck and roll style seat. The bike is thoroughly modern in how it performs, which is really what impressed me most.

It's an upright sporty standard with a lot of sporty. It rides very nice, better than the regular Z900. I would love to fiddle with the suspension settings. It handles light and is well balanced. The engine has way more than enough stomp. It makes a delightful intake howl. The ergos feel great. The only nitpick I have is the tank feels ever so slightfully wide between my legs. I can't find any other faults so far.

I want one, but it comes down to not being ready to spend the money when I have a perfectly good and paid for CB1100.
 
Good report un. Do you know why the buyer backed out? Were they getting retail for it?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Good report un. Do you know why the buyer backed out? Were they getting retail for it?
He was trading his nearly new 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer which would have been an even trade, so we were getting retail for it. He flipped flopped on it twice and ended up saying he didn't think it would work for him as his only bike.
 
Older or younger fella? Wondering about the demographics this bike is appealing to.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Older or younger fella? Wondering about the demographics this bike is appealing to.
He was 60ish. Most of the folks who have come by to look are in that general age group. I'm one of the few younger guys who digs it.
 
So a lot like the CB 1100. Was wondering if young guys were going to dig it cause it looked old but had modern underpinnings, or if it was just going to be attractive to 45-60 guys that might remember the Z-1 and want to relive that.
 
The ferret_imp said:
So a lot like the CB 1100. Was wondering if young guys were going to dig it cause it looked old but had modern underpinnings, or if it was just going to be attractive to 45-60 guys that might remember the Z-1 and want to relive that.
Yes to both, but the millennials generally won't be able to afford it. As a dealership finance manager, I am blown away by the number of 20 somethings who have atrocious credit. I started building credit at 18, financed a truck at 24, a motorcycle at 25, and a house at 26. I am blessed to make a decent living and can buy pretty much any bike I want (maybe not a Motus), but $11k resides outside my comfort zone for a secondary bike. I suspect it will for quite a few, particularly younger, less established buyers.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
So a lot like the CB 1100. Was wondering if young guys were going to dig it cause it looked old but had modern underpinnings, or if it was just going to be attractive to 45-60 guys that might remember the Z-1 and want to relive that.
Yes to both, but the millennials generally won't be able to afford it. As a dealership finance manager, I am blown away by the number of 20 somethings who have atrocious credit. I started building credit at 18, financed a truck at 24, a motorcycle at 25, and a house at 26. I am blessed to make a decent living and can buy pretty much any bike I want (maybe not a Motus), but $11k resides outside my comfort zone for a secondary bike. I suspect it will for quite a few, particularly younger, less established buyers.
I suspect you're correct. Another reason that it won't generally appeal to the younger crowd is that Kaw offers virtually the same bike in modern (transformers style) trim for over $2K less. I doubt that there will be a bunch of young kids (who've never seen a Z-1) to be paying that kind of premium for the RS model.

The RS is firmly targeted at older riders who are willing to pony up the extra bucks to have a bike that resembles an old classic.
 
Those 3 bits of silver.. below the tank, on the ends of the radiator, and on the front fender mount annoy the heck out of me. I would have to powdercoat those 3 pieces black.
 
I've seen the Z900RS a few times now in the flesh. Both colors. I've tried to let it grow on me. To an extent, I've been successful, in that I no longer think it's ugly, as I did when I first saw the pictures. I still don't see a single graceful line anywhere, other than the headlight area, and I do like the cast spoke wheels, but at least I no longer find the bike ugly. The overly bulbous tank doesn't really seem that bad in most pictures, but if you look at the bike in person from the front or back it's very noticeable, and sitting on the bike really drives the point home.

Here's the thing, though. Park it beside a CB1100 EX. Then you'll know. Immediately, everything becomes crystal clear.

When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my new CB1100 EX, they had the Z900RS in both colors parked right beside my bike. It looked like James Bond standing next to Adam Sandler and Meatloaf.
 
VLJ_imp said:
I've seen the Z900RS a few times now in the flesh. Both colors. I've tried to let it grow on me. To an extent, I've been successful, in that I no longer think it's ugly, as I did when I first saw the pictures. I still don't see a single graceful line anywhere, other than the headlight area, and I do like the cast spoke wheels, but at least I no longer find the bike ugly. The overly bulbous tank doesn't really seem that bad in most pictures, but if you look at the bike in person from the front or back it's very noticeable, and sitting on the bike really drives the point home.

Here's the thing, though. Park it beside a CB1100 EX. Then you'll know. Immediately, everything becomes crystal clear.

When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my new CB1100 EX, they had the Z900RS in both colors parked right beside my bike. It looked like James Bond standing next to Adam Sandler and Meatloaf.
Love it! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
 
VLJ_imp said:
I've seen the Z900RS a few times now in the flesh. Both colors. I've tried to let it grow on me. To an extent, I've been successful, in that I no longer think it's ugly, as I did when I first saw the pictures. I still don't see a single graceful line anywhere, other than the headlight area, and I do like the cast spoke wheels, but at least I no longer find the bike ugly. The overly bulbous tank doesn't really seem that bad in most pictures, but if you look at the bike in person from the front or back it's very noticeable, and sitting on the bike really drives the point home.

Here's the thing, though. Park it beside a CB1100 EX. Then you'll know. Immediately, everything becomes crystal clear.

When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my new CB1100 EX, they had the Z900RS in both colors parked right beside my bike. It looked like James Bond standing next to Adam Sandler and Meatloaf.
Lol, you aren't just drinking the sake, you're downing it by the pot!

I see it quite differently, to start from your comparison of people to people, bikes to bikes, and bikes to people.

James Bond was a fiction of Ian Fleming, the name originating from an author of a book about bird-watching. The character, James Bond, is the epitome of fantasy and superficiality. Slick, smooth, urbane, always gets the girl, always wins in the end; the complete opposite of real life.

The Kawasaki, with all its fake finery, slick design, speed, svelte mass, and agile handling (which certainly outstrip -- pun intended -- the CB1100 in every measurable regard) seems much more like 007 to me. The Z900RS is an Aston-Martin; the CB1100 is a Morris Minor. And appeal is always in the eyes of the beholder anyway.

So I believe it's just the opposite, with the CB1100 being the yeoman workhorse, all its attributes plain to see, though I would not say that the Kawasaki is an Emperor with no clothes. Hirohito, however, was an emperor with no horse after General MacArthur arrived. Is that relevant? Yes, because the Japanese people actually believed Hirohito was immortal and would live forever. So, in a way, since new member ivanb already broached the topic of Japanese culture, perhaps in a way the CB1100 is a reincarnation of Hirohito? And the the Z900RS one of Tojo?

Clearly, the difference between the two Japanese machines runs much deeper than the discussion of a tea ceremony, just as any realistic discussion of Japanese culture inevitably runs to a discussion of the differences between Ichi-go ichi-e and Hakko Ichiu. The latter phrase was used in a speech by Japanese Prime Minister Konoe in 1940, and I think we all have a pretty fair idea of what kinds of policies were afoot in Greater East Asia at the time. (Jack London predicted what was to come after covering the Japanese-Russo War in 1905; he was only correspondent to get to Korea, where the real fighting was, and nearly froze to death in the process. He was later arrested by Japanese authorities, and was only released after the intervention of President Theodore Roosevelt).

But then again this is anthropomorphism and "turn the other cheek" run wild, comparing machinery to people.

Still waiting for your ride report!:D

384a39f51f705647090753ab57a76d34.jpg

Morris Minor - A Classic Beauty


Aston Martin - Over the Top
891dd362ca5a1316c54c8495cd310672.jpg
 
You're talking function, though. I'm only talking looks. Sitting beside the '17 EX, those two Kawis look like Dumb and Dumber.

And, yeah, 'sake,' not 'saki.' My bad.
 
Ulvetanna first of all , Morris Minor and James Bond Aston comparison is totally irrelevant in my opinion. Second I think Japanese tea ceremony runs deeper than most of us can understand. I must say that I'm very proud to see so much Greek language here. The right explanation of anthropomorphism is giving human form and characteristics to our creations. Anthropos(man. the one how sees and contemplate what he sees ) and morphi ( shape-face). The face-shape-stance-poise says it all. I believe that you will soon (and I'll be happy to see you) drink the sake yourself like VLJ ....
PS.Please don't tell me this is all Greek to you...
 
Back
Top