Kawasaki Z900RS

Old English and proto German. At least what I found using Google.
 
That brown and orange looks nice with some light hitting it. But as most people know around here, I'm really particular about things like the shape of the gas tank, and the one on the Z900RS just doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure plenty of others won't mind it though and many just plain don't care.
Let's face it fellas, it doesn't matter how much vocabulary you want to throw at such arguments, James Bond wouldn't be seen on a CB1100 or a Z900RS. James Bond would be likely be riding a high performance superbike of some sort. If he were by some chance to ride more of a standard style bike then it would probably be one of the current Nortons, what with both Bond and the Norton being British and all. Remember Bond's toys have to keep up with the times and he could likely hang with the likes of Marquez and Rossi out on the road if the fate of the world depended on him to pull off such an amazing feat (which it seemingly always does). Too funny.
 
He'd be in a tuxedo on an ivory R1200C with his wrists handcuffed to his pillion's wrists lol.

People trying to sell their R1200C's really play up the "Bond bike" nonsense.
 
Guth_imp said:
That brown and orange looks nice with some light hitting it. But as most people know around here, I'm really particular about things like the shape of the gas tank, and the one on the Z900RS just doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure plenty of others won't mind it though and many just plain don't care.
Let's face it fellas, it doesn't matter how much vocabulary you want to throw at such arguments, James Bond wouldn't be seen on a CB1100 or a Z900RS. James Bond would be likely be riding a high performance superbike of some sort. If he were by some chance to ride more of a standard style bike then it would probably be one of the current Nortons, what with both Bond and the Norton being British and all. Remember Bond's toys have to keep up with the times and he could likely hang with the likes of Marquez and Rossi out on the road if the fate of the world depended on him to pull off such an amazing feat (which it seemingly always does). Too funny.
Exactly. I'm thinking he'd look right at home chasing bad guys, riding a Ducati Panigale in a tuxedo. :D

Seriously, it's nice to see the orange and rootbeer versions starting to appear in the showrooms. I've been checking local dealers for weeks and they've only been getting the black versions. For me, the original paint scheme is a big part of the classic Z-1 look.
 
Acrobat_imp said:
Ulvetanna first of all , Morris Minor and James Bond Aston comparison is totally irrelevant in my opinion. Second I think Japanese tea ceremony runs deeper than most of us can understand. I must say that I'm very proud to see so much Greek language here. The right explanation of anthropomorphism is giving human form and characteristics to our creations. Anthropos(man. the one how sees and contemplate what he sees ) and morphi ( shape-face). The face-shape-stance-poise says it all. I believe that you will soon (and I'll be happy to see you) drink the sake yourself like VLJ ....
PS.Please don't tell me this is all Greek to you...
I don't see where your explanation of anthropomorphism is pertinent, unless you present it to suggest that I was simply using a ten-dollar word to impress.

You stated it yourself: "anthropomorphism is giving human form and characteristics to our creations"

Thus, the term is widely used both figuratively and literally. In my example, I used it figuratively. An animated feature, like The Lion King, for example, uses anthropomorphism, showing animals behaving and speaking like humans.

Those are characteristics.
 
MTC, sure he'll ride what he has to, but when given the choice, Bond usually aims a bit higher (or a lot higher in this case, lol).
 
VLJ_imp said:
You're talking function, though. I'm only talking looks. Sitting beside the '17 EX, those two Kawis look like Dumb and Dumber.

And, yeah, 'sake,' not 'saki.' My bad.
I dispute that. They more closely resemble Bert and Ernie.:rofl:
 
Got to sit on the Z900RS this weekend. Lightweight, beautiful in person, taller than it looks, and wide, Wide, WIDE! It'd be wonderful to test ride one, maybe I can snag some seat time at Bike Week if they aren't completely booked solid.
 
Ok just got back from a trip up to a dealership in Xenia Ohio to check out the new RS. They had both colors sitting by the front door. I sat on the black one. Very tips of my toes touched the ground on both sides. Ballerina toes. I thought the fit and finish was very nice nice.

a3c44ce9a9327eb62bd9ab44bd664a17.jpg


There are some things I didn't care for. Like VLJ, and Johnf above I found the width of the tank excessively wide when viewed from the rear. This pic really doesn't capture it well. It's wide.

49294e54f5ca0514bc31bf0218ca73a2.jpg


Also like someone mentioned somewhere when discussing this bike, when sitting on it, the radiator cap sticks out like a sore thumb. Really worse than in this pic because I wasn't leaning forward holding onto the bars to take the pic. I mean...it's out there. Very noticeable and out of place from the riders view.

6e9f103fed548cd2670c4aff33d03075.jpg


I also didn't like the 4 silver pieces on the side, the heel plate, the piece under the gas tank, the end of the radiator, and the brace for the front fender. They would have looked much better in black.

Also the rear fender hugger had this Batman motif to it. Cut into a weird W shape. That was strange

Still I can see Kawasaki selling a bunch of them.
 
I've been waiting for a local dealer to get an orange and root beer one. Initially they only had the black ones. Looks like the orange ones are finally making it to the showroom floor around here. I'll be dropping by this weekend to have a good in-person look. I really like this bike on paper. We'll see how it measures up in real life.

My original plan for this year was to find a lightly used '17 CB1100 EX to replace my aging CB750. That was until Kawasaki announced the Z900RS. Now I think it's going to be a tough call.

My house will be paid for in a few months and that'll free up some cash for something new in the garage. Decisions, decisions....
 
Also takes premium gas flyn.

Really was a pretty bike. i hope you get to test ride one.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I've been waiting for a local dealer to get an orange and root beer one. Initially they only had the black ones. Looks like the orange ones are finally making it to the showroom floor around here. I'll be dropping by this weekend to have a good in-person look. I really like this bike on paper. We'll see how it measures up in real life.

My original plan for this year was to find a lightly used '17 CB1100 EX to replace my aging CB750. That was until Kawasaki announced the Z900RS. Now I think it's going to be a tough call.

My house will be paid for in a few months and that'll free up some cash for something new in the garage. Decisions, decisions....
Good for you on paying off the house. That does create a nice budget gap to fill!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I've been waiting for a local dealer to get an orange and root beer one. Initially they only had the black ones. Looks like the orange ones are finally making it to the showroom floor around here. I'll be dropping by this weekend to have a good in-person look. I really like this bike on paper. We'll see how it measures up in real life.

My original plan for this year was to find a lightly used '17 CB1100 EX to replace my aging CB750. That was until Kawasaki announced the Z900RS. Now I think it's going to be a tough call.

My house will be paid for in a few months and that'll free up some cash for something new in the garage. Decisions, decisions....
I think that's fantastic. Do it, get something new, doesn't matter what it is, if it makes ya happy.

I was just telling a riding buddy only today that the Z900 is the one bike I've had in the last 20 years that really has been a perfect fit. I've grown into it. The last bike I had I could really say that about was my 1989 R100GS, I just felt I could do anything on that bike and be comfortable.

If I had to knock my little collection down to two bikes, it would be that Kawasaki and the 2017 SV650. Wouldn't be a hard call to make at all.

I've got another riding buddy who did buy the Z900RS, he pulled into the local watering hole last weekend (he's had the bike for about a month) and he had an ear-to-ear grin, tires worn to the edges. I guess he's coming up on a couple thousand miles and so far nothing but good things to say about it.

Not a bad companion to the CB1100, for sure.
 
Ulvetanna, how are you getting along with the Z900's wafer-thin, rock-hard seat? Some people say that while it is firm, it doesn't bother them at all. Others say that the thicker "comfort seat" is a must, while still others hate the "comfort seat" because of the way it forces them into the tank.

Also, there is all sorts of talk on the Z900 forum about the charging system's inability to accept the addition of any heated gear whatsoever, including heated grips. Are you aware of any easy work-around there?

Is the partial-throttle fueling as smooth as most people say? You've owned a CB1100, so you have a solid yardstick there by which to compare the Z's throttle response.

Lastly, how do you get along with the Z's built-to-a-budget suspension? You're pretty picky about suspension, so you'd be the one to ask.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, how are you getting along with the Z900's wafer-thin, rock-hard seat? Some people say that while it is firm, it doesn't bother them at all. Others say that the thicker "comfort seat" is a must, while still others hate the "comfort seat" because of the way it forces them into the tank.

Also, there is all sorts of talk on the Z900 forum about the charging system's inability to accept the addition of any heated gear whatsoever, including heated grips. Are you aware of any easy work-around there?

Is the partial-throttle fueling as smooth as most people say? You've owned a CB1100, so you have a solid yardstick there by which to compare the Z's throttle response.

Lastly, how do you get along with the Z's built-to-a-budget suspension? You're pretty picky about suspension, so you'd be the one to ask.
The seat is very acceptable to me, I don't weigh much, maybe 160 lbs with full gear. So it's been good. It's thin compared to some seats, but firm and wide enough to support most derrieres I've done a good number of long days on it, say, six hours in the saddle with a few breaks, without any discomfort.

VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, how are you getting along with the Z900's wafer-thin, rock-hard seat? Some people say that while it is firm, it doesn't bother them at all. Others say that the thicker "comfort seat" is a must, while still others hate the "comfort seat" because of the way it forces them into the tank.

Also, there is all sorts of talk on the Z900 forum about the charging system's inability to accept the addition of any heated gear whatsoever, including heated grips. Are you aware of any easy work-around there?

Is the partial-throttle fueling as smooth as most people say? You've owned a CB1100, so you have a solid yardstick there by which to compare the Z's throttle response.

Lastly, how do you get along with the Z's built-to-a-budget suspension? You're pretty picky about suspension, so you'd be the one to ask.
Lol, I have never joined or even visited that forum! But at 336 watts I would think it would be more than ample for heated riding gear. I've used my Widder vest on many different bikes, always worked well. I cannot think that the system wouldn't accommodate a heated vest. But not much more.

Clearly one should be looking at a Ninja 1000 or similar in this type of bike if long rides in great comfort, with all the bells and whistles are a requirement.

VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, how are you getting along with the Z900's wafer-thin, rock-hard seat? Some people say that while it is firm, it doesn't bother them at all. Others say that the thicker "comfort seat" is a must, while still others hate the "comfort seat" because of the way it forces them into the tank.

Also, there is all sorts of talk on the Z900 forum about the charging system's inability to accept the addition of any heated gear whatsoever, including heated grips. Are you aware of any easy work-around there?

Is the partial-throttle fueling as smooth as most people say? You've owned a CB1100, so you have a solid yardstick there by which to compare the Z's throttle response.

Lastly, how do you get along with the Z's built-to-a-budget suspension? You're pretty picky about suspension, so you'd be the one to ask.
The fueling is just superb on this bike. It has a secondary set of butterflies controlled by the ECU to smooth things out. Absolutely flawless, with little to no driveline lash, especially for smooth riders.

The CB1100 does not have the secondary set of butterflies so the rider just has to be very smooth on the throttle, especially with the level of torque and much heavier driveline components. That said, I had no issues with my 2013 CB1100 once it broke in, it was just fine. No problems, very fun to ride (especially at high RPM, lol!).

VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, how are you getting along with the Z900's wafer-thin, rock-hard seat? Some people say that while it is firm, it doesn't bother them at all. Others say that the thicker "comfort seat" is a must, while still others hate the "comfort seat" because of the way it forces them into the tank.

Also, there is all sorts of talk on the Z900 forum about the charging system's inability to accept the addition of any heated gear whatsoever, including heated grips. Are you aware of any easy work-around there?

Is the partial-throttle fueling as smooth as most people say? You've owned a CB1100, so you have a solid yardstick there by which to compare the Z's throttle response.

Lastly, how do you get along with the Z's built-to-a-budget suspension? You're pretty picky about suspension, so you'd be the one to ask.
It has very good suspension for the price point, good enough for just about any street rider's needs. I did have to increase front spring preload somewhat, and the front fork is at about 9-10 out of (I think) 11 possible damping clicks, so it's near the limit of available damping. The springs are moderately stiff, soft enough to be pretty compliant but with a good hand on the brake, can be set up to not dive or rebound excessively under braking.

The shock is pretty darn good. Just a single stepless adjustment which affects both compression/rebound, but I'm only about 1/3 to 1/2 way into that, so much more damping than I need.

The issue for me is my weight, the spring is set up for a rider of about 180 lbs. So it gets a little harsh. I think for a rider closer to that weight, it would be very good. The problem is it is a linked rear suspension, and my weight does not get the suspension working deeply enough into the linkage/progressive part of the travel.

I'm planning on picking up a Nitron R2 (independent compression/rebound damping, with ride height adjustability) pretty soon which should get it where I want it. They also offer a complete set of internals for the forks but I don't think I need those.

Word has it (Adam Waheed of Rider's Domain) that the suspension on the RS is a little softer than the Z900 which makes sense. He's a pretty aggressive rider and he noticed that. But the Z900RS for the vast majority of riders is going to be great, I think, as far as suspension goes. The Z900 was intended to be edgier and sportier but more bare-bones.

So all in all, for $8799 with ABS, it's the best value in a motorcycle I've bought in decades.
 
To me, nearly every major difference between the Z900 and Z900RS lands in favor of the basic Z900. The only advantages I would give to the RS are its better instruments, far superior passenger accommodations, luggage-mounting points, traction control, more adjustable suspension, and radial-mounted calipers. I suppose its seating position is more comfortable, as well.

Okay, I guess that's a decent number of advantages.

Still, I'd give it to the Z900 on motor, fueling, handling, price (by a huge margin), seat height, and simply by virtue of not pretending to be something it isn't.

I realize that most people feel the RS looks a whole lot better than the Z900, but I'm not a fan of the RS's looks. I don't think the Z900 looks all that great either, particularly that ridiculously high tail section and the giant piece of plastic scaffolding covering up that beautiful green frame, so I view the looks battle as a wash.

Overall, I'm sure I would rather ride the Z900, and I know I'd rather pay only $8700 rather than $11,199, or $11,525 with the lower seat, which I would definitely want.

If my XSR was stolen or totaled or whatever, I'd probably replace it with the Z900. I'd prefer the Ninja 1000, but the price difference and insurance difference are so substantial that I'd probably just opt for the cheaper, smaller, more manageable, much more fun Z900.

The CB1000R would be the other obvious option, but the seating position and huge price tag will likely preclude that one for me.

Yeah, methinks a '17 CB1100EX and Z900 combo sounds just right.
 
Back
Top