motoWest_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
Has anyone ridden a Kawasaki Z900RS? What are you thoughts compared to the CB1100?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ha, I swear I know how a search bar works! Well, usually . . .The ferret_imp said:
Hi, Peter is correct, I just have been real busy trying to get this massive Mesquite tree that fell on my fence and yard, and almost my house; cut up.motoWest_imp said:Has anyone ridden a Kawasaki Z900RS? What are you thoughts compared to the CB1100?
Me too. In fact I have yet to see another CB1100 anywhere. Seen only two other Z900RS, and one of those was the green one.Cormanus_imp said:I see more of the Kawasakis than I do the CB1100.
Hi, Peter is correct, I just have been real busy trying to get this massive Mesquite tree that fell on my fence and yard, and almost my house; cut up.michael1954_imp said:Hi, Peter is correct, I just have been real busy trying to get this massive Mesquite tree that fell on my fence and yard, and almost my house; cut up.motoWest_imp said:Has anyone ridden a Kawasaki Z900RS? What are you thoughts compared to the CB1100?
Yes I ride two different CB1100's and a Z900RS. I truly love riding all 3 because no two ride the same, even of the Hondas. My granddaughter, who I am getting a bike for, rides on back of all 3, and she likes the Kawasaki the best. She says it is more comfortable, and she says much faster. Which is a big deal to young adults. I have been riding the 2013 lately the most, for what little riding I do now because it is SO HOT down here, and I still wear a full-face helmet, boots, armor jeans, but lately not the armor/mess jacket. I know I should, but at 110F heat index, the sweat is soaking me. The Hondas, to me ride much smoother, but the Z's monoshock works great. (They claim 5.5 inches of travel!) The 2013 is the busiest, probably its 5 speed trans vs 6 speeds for both the 2017 CB and the Z. The Kawasaki will get you to 100mph faster than the Honda. And it has no speed limiter. ( I do have a full Akrapovic exhaust/K&N air filter on it). Both Hondas have only a K&N air filter, but the 2013 CB does have a Yoshimura slip-on. It has a little more power, but the two Hondas are so close. I like the looks of the 2017 CB1100EX the most. I think it takes me back so many years ago with the early CB's, but all 3 are awesome in the looks department. Brakes are the best on the two Hondas, and my 2013 does not even have ABS like the other two do. Gas mileage is over 42 miles per gallon on both Hondas, but the Z is actually at about 39. I think that is pretty good, because when I ride the Z, I do ride it faster. The kid still in me I guess. On curves, I ride the Z much faster, and this may be a bias. It has pretty sticky tires for OEM, (Dunlops), but it also has smaller 17 wheels, but much larger tires. The rear tire is a 180, and the front is a 120. Both fatter than a stock CB1100. I will post a pix of all 3, again I know...I just like looking at motorcycles. I have some add-ons to all 3 bikes. If you have any questions, I know I missed, just message me back here. The tree should be cut up by this evening. Ride safe. If you are going to get both bikes, you will be glad you did, I
am.
![]()
Other side:
![]()
Hi, I am back. The weight issue, I hate to admit, is in favor of the Z900RS. I have to back all my bikes out of a garage blocked by 3 cars. The Honda is tougher to back up when I hit the lawn. Good exercise for my legs. The seat on the Z900RS is superb for an OEM seat, but I have no issues with either Honda. So far all of my long trips, to San Antonio and back, have been on the Kawasaki; again because I feel I can push it harder in this heat and do it no harm. It has a giant water, cooled radiator. Probably the ugliest part of the bike. Now for the twitchy throttle on the Z900RS. It has that some, depending on which traction control number you are on, but after the addition of the full Akrapovic exhaust system, it seems to have vanished, and I have yet to put in the Booster Plug. It does have a few hiccups right now, but nothing serious. My mpg is almost 40 miles per gallon, which surprises me. As for maintenance, I have had no issue with any of my bikes, but I do not ride as much as some Forum Members do. I was doing much more before I started logging here in July, but it is just too hot to ride at 100F and 85% relative humidity. All my riding now is in the AM before the sun melts me. The Kawasaki does need the throttle idle adjusted, it revs too high in idle. I will take care of that soon. I think, when it comes to a second bike, I just lucked out buying the Z900RS. I really did very little HW before I got it. I just really liked the way it looked. I knew it was fast, but it is much faster than I expected. If Kawasaki had not given me the FREE Akrapovic muffler, I may never had bought the header pipes.motoWest_imp said:Hi, Peter is correct, I just have been real busy trying to get this massive Mesquite tree that fell on my fence and yard, and almost my house; cut up.michael1954_imp said:Hi, Peter is correct, I just have been real busy trying to get this massive Mesquite tree that fell on my fence and yard, and almost my house; cut up.motoWest_imp said:Has anyone ridden a Kawasaki Z900RS? What are you thoughts compared to the CB1100?
Yes I ride two different CB1100's and a Z900RS. I truly love riding all 3 because no two ride the same, even of the Hondas. My granddaughter, who I am getting a bike for, rides on back of all 3, and she likes the Kawasaki the best. She says it is more comfortable, and she says much faster. Which is a big deal to young adults. I have been riding the 2013 lately the most, for what little riding I do now because it is SO HOT down here, and I still wear a full-face helmet, boots, armor jeans, but lately not the armor/mess jacket. I know I should, but at 110F heat index, the sweat is soaking me. The Hondas, to me ride much smoother, but the Z's monoshock works great. (They claim 5.5 inches of travel!) The 2013 is the busiest, probably its 5 speed trans vs 6 speeds for both the 2017 CB and the Z. The Kawasaki will get you to 100mph faster than the Honda. And it has no speed limiter. ( I do have a full Akrapovic exhaust/K&N air filter on it). Both Hondas have only a K&N air filter, but the 2013 CB does have a Yoshimura slip-on. It has a little more power, but the two Hondas are so close. I like the looks of the 2017 CB1100EX the most. I think it takes me back so many years ago with the early CB's, but all 3 are awesome in the looks department. Brakes are the best on the two Hondas, and my 2013 does not even have ABS like the other two do. Gas mileage is over 42 miles per gallon on both Hondas, but the Z is actually at about 39. I think that is pretty good, because when I ride the Z, I do ride it faster. The kid still in me I guess. On curves, I ride the Z much faster, and this may be a bias. It has pretty sticky tires for OEM, (Dunlops), but it also has smaller 17 wheels, but much larger tires. The rear tire is a 180, and the front is a 120. Both fatter than a stock CB1100. I will post a pix of all 3, again I know...I just like looking at motorcycles. I have some add-ons to all 3 bikes. If you have any questions, I know I missed, just message me back here. The tree should be cut up by this evening. Ride safe. If you are going to get both bikes, you will be glad you did, I
am.
![]()
Other side:
![]()
Yes I ride two different CB1100's and a Z900RS. I truly love riding all 3 because no two ride the same, even of the Hondas. My granddaughter, who I am getting a bike for, rides on back of all 3, and she likes the Kawasaki the best. She says it is more comfortable, and she says much faster. Which is a big deal to young adults. I have been riding the 2013 lately the most, for what little riding I do now because it is SO HOT down here, and I still wear a full-face helmet, boots, armor jeans, but lately not the armor/mess jacket. I know I should, but at 110F heat index, the sweat is soaking me. The Hondas, to me ride much smoother, but the Z's monoshock works great. (They claim 5.5 inches of travel!) The 2013 is the busiest, probably its 5 speed trans vs 6 speeds for both the 2017 CB and the Z. The Kawasaki will get you to 100mph faster than the Honda. And it has no speed limiter. ( I do have a full Akrapovic exhaust/K&N air filter on it). Both Hondas have only a K&N air filter, but the 2013 CB does have a Yoshimura slip-on. It has a little more power, but the two Hondas are so close. I like the looks of the 2017 CB1100EX the most. I think it takes me back so many years ago with the early CB's, but all 3 are awesome in the looks department. Brakes are the best on the two Hondas, and my 2013 does not even have ABS like the other two do. Gas mileage is over 42 miles per gallon on both Hondas, but the Z is actually at about 39. I think that is pretty good, because when I ride the Z, I do ride it faster. The kid still in me I guess. On curves, I ride the Z much faster, and this may be a bias. It has pretty sticky tires for OEM, (Dunlops), but it also has smaller 17 wheels, but much larger tires. The rear tire is a 180, and the front is a 120. Both fatter than a stock CB1100. I will post a pix of all 3, again I know...I just like looking at motorcycles. I have some add-ons to all 3 bikes. If you have any questions, I know I missed, just message me back here. The tree should be cut up by this evening. Ride safe. If you are going to get both bikes, you will be glad you did, I
am.
![]()
Other side:
![]()
Thanks for the write-up, very informative. A couple of questions:
> When going between the CB and the Z, how obvious is the difference in weight? I have a pretty narrow garage and driveway, so I do tire of my daily 5-point turns on the CB!
> How's the seat comfort on the Z? I find that my CB seat is ever so slightly angled towards to the gas tank, which gets a little bothersome on longer rides.
> How's the maintenance been on the Z? I do love how solid the CB is - I've got over 20k miles and I've yet to have a single issue.
Given how well rounded the CB is, I probably won't be switching. But like all riders, I can't help but dream of the next bike!

Yeah. Kinda makes me want a CB1100. Gets the juices going.Stichill_imp said:Hadn't seen the new blue livery. Sharp.
![]()
Too bad the seat is unnecessarily tall. :-/
