K&N Oil Filters BEWARE!!!

Why K&N has not been sued beyond severe pain is beyond me. But obviously the product is junk and one should not use it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Bump!

Five days ago Pterodactyl's K&N oil filter failed in exactly this way. Luckily no great harm was done. His exhaust and rear tyre got a good coating of oil and he was lucky to have been on a good highway.

I'll remove my first K&N filter at the first opportunity.
Good to know both he and the CB are OK. Riding is risky enough without worrying about oil filter failures. :(
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Bump!

Five days ago Pterodactyl's K&N oil filter failed in exactly this way. Luckily no great harm was done. His exhaust and rear tyre got a good coating of oil and he was lucky to have been on a good highway.

I'll remove my first K&N filter at the first opportunity.
Glad to hear that Tony suffered no physical harm but I'm puzzled that his secret Dactyl blend motor oil did not miraculously stop this incident before it happened.
 
I have a K&N in the back seat of my car waiting to go on the CB as part of its 600-mile. I'll likely stop by a Honda shop and pick up an OEM filter after reading this.
 
I have an oil change coming up and after reading this, I'm definantly going to use something other than the K&N filters I have been using the last 12000 miles! My mind would never be at ease. Geez. The thought of it giving way when I need rear wheel traction makes my skin crawl.
 
Plain and simple...I use OEM everything when it comes to the mechanical components of my vehicles. The last thing Honda or any other manufacturer wants is to pay out for warranty work due to faulty parts etc...if its's good enough for Japanese engineers it's good enough for a dummy like me. :dodgy:
 
"Glad to hear that Tony suffered no physical harm but I'm puzzled that his secret Dactyl blend motor oil did not miraculously stop this incident before it happened."

Whilst Cormanus rode to away to source a replacement filter along the road out of Gundagai Hubris Galactic Dactyl technical annalists established the superior friction modifying properties of the latest blend, also found on turn #4 at Phillip Island.

If I had not seen it i would not have believed it.

Regards
 
noroomtomove_imp said:
"Glad to hear that Tony suffered no physical harm but I'm puzzled that his secret Dactyl blend motor oil did not miraculously stop this incident before it happened."

Whilst Cormanus rode to away to source a replacement filter along the road out of Gundagai Hubris Galactic Dactyl technical annalists established the superior friction modifying properties of the latest blend, also found on turn #4 at Phillip Island.

If I had not seen it i would not have believed it.

Regards
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Pulled my K&N filter yesterday as it had a slow leak and I was down a pint. I tried to use the nut on top to remove the filter but it just spun. That's a sign, I think. Anyhow, to answer my own question from a different thread, you will lose about a quarter cup of oil if you remove the filter without first draining the oil. So use a catch pan but have no fear of a big mess.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
"Glad to hear that Tony suffered no physical harm but I'm puzzled that his secret Dactyl blend motor oil did not miraculously stop this incident before it happened."

Whilst Cormanus rode to away to source a replacement filter along the road out of Gundagai Hubris Galactic Dactyl technical annalists established the superior friction modifying properties of the latest blend, also found on turn #4 at Phillip Island.

If I had not seen it i would not have believed it.

Regards
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Pulled my K&N filter yesterday as it had a slow leak and I was down a pint. I tried to use the nut on top to remove the filter but it just spun. That's a sign, I think. Anyhow, to answer my own question from a different thread, you will lose about a quarter cup of oil if you remove the filter without first draining the oil. So use a catch pan but have no fear of a big mess.
"Spun" how exactly?

Did the stamped nut round-over in your wrench, or did the spot welds that hold the stamped nut to the canister break loose?

If it was leaking, I would suspect the latter to be the case. Of the two unused K&N filters I still have, one has definite air gaps between the stamped nut and the canister...really makes me suspect the integrity of the spot welds.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
"Glad to hear that Tony suffered no physical harm but I'm puzzled that his secret Dactyl blend motor oil did not miraculously stop this incident before it happened."

Whilst Cormanus rode to away to source a replacement filter along the road out of Gundagai Hubris Galactic Dactyl technical annalists established the superior friction modifying properties of the latest blend, also found on turn #4 at Phillip Island.

If I had not seen it i would not have believed it.

Regards
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Pulled my K&N filter yesterday as it had a slow leak and I was down a pint. I tried to use the nut on top to remove the filter but it just spun. That's a sign, I think. Anyhow, to answer my own question from a different thread, you will lose about a quarter cup of oil if you remove the filter without first draining the oil. So use a catch pan but have no fear of a big mess.
"Spun" how exactly?

Did the stamped nut round-over in your wrench, or did the spot welds that hold the stamped nut to the canister break loose?

If it was leaking, I would suspect the latter to be the case. Of the two unused K&N filters I still have, one has definite air gaps between the stamped nut and the canister...really makes me suspect the integrity of the spot welds.
"Spun" how exactly?

Did the stamped nut round-over in your wrench, or did the spot welds that hold the stamped nut to the canister break loose?

If it was leaking, I would suspect the latter to be the case. Of the two unused K&N filters I still have, one has definite air gaps between the stamped nut and the canister...really makes me suspect the integrity of the spot welds. Actually, it just turned. As if the nut and it's flat plate were pressed through the can and attached like a rivet. I will go take a better look. Might cut it in half if I can find my hacksaw.
 
This is from the K&N on-line store.
2014 HONDA CB1100 1140 - All Models Oil Filter •17mm Nut for Easy Removal
•Heavy Duty Construction KN-204 K&N KN-204 Oil Filter Your Price: $15.49

Why would you use a K&N when the OEM Honda filter is only $9.93 ?
 
Maybe on some bikes, having the nut would come in handy, but on the CB there is such good access to the filter from the front ( using oil filter cup) or from the side (using a strap wrench or slip jaw type filter wrench) not having the nut on the stock Honda filter presents no obstacle for filter removal.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
This is from the K&N on-line store.
2014 HONDA CB1100 1140 - All Models Oil Filter •17mm Nut for Easy Removal
•Heavy Duty Construction KN-204 K&N KN-204 Oil Filter Your Price: $15.49

Why would you use a K&N when the OEM Honda filter is only $9.93 ?
I haven't made the swap myself, but I considered it because K&N has a good reputation for making filters and because you can get it with a chrome cover. For me, it was just another subtle mod, but I'm glad now I didn't go with it.
 
I read this thread the first time a few weeks ago. I had just installed the K&N oil filter mentioned here at my last oil change. I was convinced it wasn't worth the risk of this happening to me and that I would switch back to the OEM filters at my next oil change. Well I never made it to my next oil change. The filter stared leaking right at the area that the nut is attached to the filter. Luckily I was literally 50 feet from my home when I noticed the smoke of the oil on the muffler after a 30 mile ride. It was pouring out. Makes me question their air filters now...
 
Good lord! If you have one installed, consider yourself warned. Replace it now, do not wait. The life you save could be yours!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
chync_imp said:
I read this thread the first time a few weeks ago. I had just installed the K&N oil filter mentioned here at my last oil change. I was convinced it wasn't worth the risk of this happening to me and that I would switch back to the OEM filters at my next oil change. Well I never made it to my next oil change. The filter stared leaking right at the area that the nut is attached to the filter. Luckily I was literally 50 feet from my home when I noticed the smoke of the oil on the muffler after a 30 mile ride. It was pouring out. Makes me question their air filters now...
The good news is, you can pull the filter without doing a full oil change. I removed my filter without draining the oil and lost maybe three tablespoons of oil from the filter hole. So put a catch basin under there, but don't fear a flood.
 
chync_imp said:
I read this thread the first time a few weeks ago. I had just installed the K&N oil filter mentioned here at my last oil change. I was convinced it wasn't worth the risk of this happening to me and that I would switch back to the OEM filters at my next oil change. Well I never made it to my next oil change. The filter stared leaking right at the area that the nut is attached to the filter. Luckily I was literally 50 feet from my home when I noticed the smoke of the oil on the muffler after a 30 mile ride. It was pouring out. Makes me question their air filters now...
I'll just put this out for thought. I have a good friend that used to work for Pall filters (they make super high tech filters) anyway they tested K&N air filters and basically you may as well use a screen. The particle size that gets past a K&N is so big that it's a joke, that's why they can claim big air flow increases. Your engine, your wallet do as you please.
 
The saga continues...

I recently contacted K&N Customer Service to determine if they are initiating a safety recall of their oil filters due to the potentially dangerous results of a leak on a motorcycle. I was surprised to actually get a response within just a few days. Unfortunately, it was not the response one would hope for in this situation...

Hello Mr. ____________,

We apologize for an inconvenience this may have caused. Please be advised we do not take issues like the one you are describing lightly and do our best to insure that the products we are providing to our consumers our great quality products. We also have a great Performance/Warranty department ready to help, assist and trouble shoot any issues if needed.

If this product is unused and you wish to return the product, please refer to the place of purchase and refer to their return policy. Part Number KN-204 is a great oil filter and will perform up to spec on all the applications listed in the link below.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?prod=KN-204

Thank you for your time, please let me know if you have any other questions.
Respectfully,
Rudy Sandoval
Product Specialist
RudySa@KNFilters.com
K&N Engineering Inc
http://www.knfilters.com
Phone: (800)858-3333 Ext. 4185
 
It's too big of an issue for them to admit a problem exists. That would give the lawsuit happy lawyers the ammunition they need. If anything, their lawyers are advising them to admit nothing and fix it silently in the background.
 
Back
Top