K&N Oil Filters BEWARE!!!

It's just the opening volley, Gumby. Since the part has been used, the second paragraph should be ignored entirely and you should focus your reply on the "We also have a great Performance/Warranty department ready to help, assist and trouble shoot any issues if needed" part of the first paragraph. Clearly there is an "issue" and troubleshooting is "needed" at this point. Also, Mr. Sandoval has offered to answer "any other questions", so that's your cue to asking some. I think I'd start with "Why does oil pour out of my filter can when I use your filter and does not do so when I use a stock one?"

It's apparent to me that Mr. Sandoval does not want to discuss recalls, but he may be interested in fixing the underlying problem on a case-by-case basis. Good luck.
 
Not to diminish the consequences of a failed oil filter, but it's only a $15 part for heaven's sake. If you're concerned, replace it with something else and move on. I'm not sure K&N has any obligation to the consumer beyond providing a refund. If you are confident you can prove it caused you injury or damage, that's a different story -- hire an attorney and initiate a lawsuit.
EmptySea, PM sent but disallowed. Looks like you've exceeded your quota.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Not to diminish the consequences of a failed oil filter, but it's only a $15 part for heaven's sake. If you're concerned, replace it with something else and move on. I'm not sure K&N has any obligation to the consumer beyond providing a refund. If you are confident you can prove it caused you injury or damage, that's a different story -- hire an attorney and initiate a lawsuit.
EmptySea, PM sent but disallowed. Looks like you've exceeded your quota.
There have been issues on cheaper parts recalled by the NTSB for safety concerns. All it takes is the problems being reported in volume. Sudden oil loss across your rear tire is a major safety concern.

The problem is, people are likely to do what you suggest and not voice a concern and some poor sap will end up dying as a result because the issue was not pushed and corrected. A class action lawsuit by someone who was seriously injured (or family of someone that was killed) is the best course of action if the manufacturer is not voluntarily fixing the issue though.
 
kennyw_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Not to diminish the consequences of a failed oil filter, but it's only a $15 part for heaven's sake. If you're concerned, replace it with something else and move on. I'm not sure K&N has any obligation to the consumer beyond providing a refund. If you are confident you can prove it caused you injury or damage, that's a different story -- hire an attorney and initiate a lawsuit.
EmptySea, PM sent but disallowed. Looks like you've exceeded your quota.
There have been issues on cheaper parts recalled by the NTSB for safety concerns. All it takes is the problems being reported in volume. Sudden oil loss across your rear tire is a major safety concern.

The problem is, people are likely to do what you suggest and not voice a concern and some poor sap will end up dying as a result because the issue was not pushed and corrected. A class action lawsuit by someone who was seriously injured (or family of someone that was killed) is the best course of action if the manufacturer is not voluntarily fixing the issue though.
It doesn't make sense or seem fair that someone would have to die or be seriously injured for K&N to take ownership of this issue.

Hopefully K&N is not like Ford in this regard. Ford executives decided that it would be cheaper to settle in court over exploding Pinto Gas Tanks than to spend a few dollars per car and make them safe (or at least, less flammable). Maybe we need to get Ralph Nader involved...
 
I've had this issue with two K&N filters now. The first one wasn't leaking much and it was only a couple days before my oil change appointment so I didn't worry. This time however I noticed the leak about a week ago, same day I made an oil change appointment actually. I figured it was the same as last time, but after a couple days I could smell the burning oil. It's all over my cat, front of the engine case, and the filter is covered. Came here to see if anyone had a similar issue and found this thread. I can definitely see that the hex part of my filter isn't totally flush with the body of it like in the pictures. Luckily my oil level hasn't dropped a noticeable amount (yet).

My oil change is Saturday so I won't be riding until then because it's obvious this thing could just dump oil at any time. Sucks because the next two days are supposed to be the warmest this spring so far and now I have to drive to work. Better than dying I guess. Never using K&N again.
 
I just have to ask. Are the Honda filters THAT expensive? Thats all I use.
 
One more problem with aftermarket oil filters, and not just K&N, and not for our models. Honda models that use a cartridge type filter (rather than spin-on like ours) have a warning stamped on one side marking which side faces out. Most aftermarket filters don't have that, and improper installation has been known to cause engine seizures (CBR250R and CBR300R and CB300F).
 
I don't think it's the price argument. I think folks believe K&N filters are somehow superior to OE filters. Maybe it's the marketing hype. I've never heard of an engine failure caused by using OE filters.
 
Having seen the consequences of a leaking K&N filter, there's no way I'm having one on my bike. Way too dangerous.
 
The ferret_imp said:
about $14 at a dealer about $9.50 on line. They are cheaper than the K&N's but for some reason people go all gaga over that 17mm nut on the front.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/deta...Ob2iZLG9anBl1QIh8qyT​mE_xUUVhoCqa3w_wcB
$14 Would be a bargain around here. Last time I bought one from the local dealer it was $20. That was in 2013, before I realized that my new CB11 used the same filter as my CB750.

I bought a couple of dozen filters online for around $9 each. The box is still about half full, so it'll be awhile before I need to go shopping again.

I tried a few aftermarket filters on on the 750 years ago, but went back to OEM because Honda's cap style filter wrench made the job a piece of cake.
 
So happy I found this thread. I JUST HAD THiIS SAME EXACT SITUATION YESTERDAY. I can add photos later.

I use K&N filters on several of my bikes with no problem. I did an oil and filter change on my CB1100 2014 last month and installed the KN 204-1. On Saturday I rode up Berthoud Pass, CO fairly aggressively. On the way down my fellow riders were letting me know that my pipe was smoking and they couldn’t figure out why my tire was still ‘wet’. It had rained much earlier. We pulled over and realized I was drenched in oil. Horrifying - especially if you know that road.


I said it was probably because I only hand tightened the filter. So we cranked it down and I topped off oil. Also pursued a few burnouts in the sand on road shoulder to clean the tire.

Thought it was settled, but no. Still spewing out of this filter. Had to get towed from Winter Park back to Denver. That’s not close btw. Just happy it didn’t end up worse. Hope I didn’t do any damage to the engine.

I am switching back to OEM filters!
 
I’m sure the engine is OK. The rear brake pads on the other hand...
 
ReedsHondaCB1100_imp said:
So happy I found this thread. I JUST HAD THiIS SAME EXACT SITUATION YESTERDAY. I can add photos later.

I use K&N filters on several of my bikes with no problem. I did an oil and filter change on my CB1100 2014 last month and installed the KN 204-1. On Saturday I rode up Berthoud Pass, CO fairly aggressively. On the way down my fellow riders were letting me know that my pipe was smoking and they couldn’t figure out why my tire was still ‘wet’. It had rained much earlier. We pulled over and realized I was drenched in oil. Horrifying - especially if you know that road.


I said it was probably because I only hand tightened the filter. So we cranked it down and I topped off oil. Also pursued a few burnouts in the sand on road shoulder to clean the tire.

Thought it was settled, but no. Still spewing out of this filter. Had to get towed from Winter Park back to Denver. That’s not close btw. Just happy it didn’t end up worse. Hope I didn’t do any damage to the engine.

I am switching back to OEM filters!
Yep nice road Berthoud is on. Rode it with LR and offroad last year or year before. That would be a terrible place to have oil on your rear wheel. Glad your buddies noticed and glad you weren't hurt.
 
I had K&N oil filter blow (7/19/19) Friday out on Mile post #48 on I 80 West riding with 20 guys from chitown to Knoxville Peoria... I was riding my Voyager at that time and had a brother ride my 14 CB DLX, saw the smoke and told him to pull over........ I already knew about this issue as I read it here and on the Kawasaki Vaquero forum so I wasnt worried, just glad no one was hurt coz we were running mid 80's speed. long story short... 4 of us waited 3-4 hours for rescue from 2 who went and find a new oil filter and oil for us , the others went ahead and we got back and went on our way after.

no more K&N oil filter for this guy FYI I traded in my '13 CB 1100 cafe for a '19 Voyager.... I still have the '14 CB 1100 DLX that I bought at this forum
 
Both of my bikes are running the ill-fated KN204. I give my filters a quick grab every day now as part of my pre-ride before going to work to check for leaks, and I've got a replacement filter and four quarts of oil at the ready for both bikes at home and the office in case I have to make a quick change at either location. Not going to replace until my normal mileage cycle comes up if nothing leaks before then, but I'm ready just in case.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Both of my bikes are running the ill-fated KN204. I give my filters a quick grab every day now as part of my pre-ride before going to work to check for leaks, and I've got a replacement filter and four quarts of oil at the ready for both bikes at home and the office in case I have to make a quick change at either location. Not going to replace until my normal mileage cycle comes up if nothing leaks before then, but I'm ready just in case.
Good mitigation planning.

Too bad one has to even stress over such a product.
 
GO, totally agree, but you've got to hand it to the K&N marketing department for creating such a compelling message that their filters are superior to everyone else's. I don't understand why folks overthink oil and oil filters.
 
Back
Top