JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight

camoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was not content with the light output of the stock H4 headlight on the CB1100 and have seen great reviews on the JW Speaker Evo 2 headlight. I realize that this light isn't super popular with the retro-look diehards but for me headlight output is a form-follows-function item.

The light is currently $265 on Amazon:
Amazon.com: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2-7" Round LED Headlight - Black : Automotive

Installation was not possible using the stock bucket without fabrication or modification of the stock parts which I didn't want to do as I wanted the option to go back to stock. I ordered the following bucket:

The bucket is currently $55 on Amazon:
Amazon.com

Installation was very easy. The hardest part was fitting the stock wiring in the aftermarket bucket as it's slightly smaller than stock. I've seen another post on here where the person used a much more expensive Triumph bucket and that would work well also.

Stock light and trim ring won't work with the JW Speaker light:


JW Speaker light in the aftermarket trim ring


Installed. (The Road Comet fairing studs thread right into the Bucket):


Completed:


I'm still waiting for nightfall to complete alignment and get an idea of the difference.

There are tons of comparison threads online of these lights versus an H4 but honestly digital photographs of light output comparisons are pointless because digital cameras automatically adjust for available light, so I don't trust them as a final judgement.
 
Thread starter
Rode the bike this evening and there's a significant improvement over stock. Needed some tweaking to get the level and aim just right but once it's dialed in, it throws a fantastic bright beam with a nice clean cutoff. Well worth the upgrade if anyone is considering this.
 
Thanks for posting this. I replaced the headlights in my wrangler with led lights and liked the upgrade. Wouldn't mind doing it on the CB1100 and VStar 1300.
 
CAMOTO , Nice Job ! , Is that all you bought was just the LED Light and the new Bucket from AMAZON and just installed and plugged it in ?

DId you have to buy an adapter harness or anything else ? Thinking about doing mine.

thank you
 
G’day Rockhard426 and welcome to the forum.
 
Man, I suppose I really need to start wearing reading glasses. I saw the title of this thread on the sidebar and I thought it read "JW Speaker $700 Evolution 2 Headlight". I was thinking to myself, gosh for $700 it better be revolutionary as opposed to simply evolutionary. But at this price I can better understand the attraction.
 
camoto_imp said:
I was not content with the light output of the stock H4 headlight on the CB1100 and have seen great reviews on the JW Speaker Evo 2 headlight. I realize that this light isn't super popular with the retro-look diehards but for me headlight output is a form-follows-function item.

The light is currently $265 on Amazon:
Amazon.com

Installation was not possible using the stock bucket without fabrication or modification of the stock parts which I didn't want to do as I wanted the option to go back to stock. I ordered the following bucket:

The bucket is currently $55 on Amazon:
Amazon.com

Installation was very easy. The hardest part was fitting the stock wiring in the aftermarket bucket as it's slightly smaller than stock. I've seen another post on here where the person used a much more expensive Triumph bucket and that would work well also.

Stock light and trim ring won't work with the JW Speaker light:


JW Speaker light in the aftermarket trim ring


Installed. (The Road Comet fairing studs thread right into the Bucket):


Completed:


I'm still waiting for nightfall to complete alignment and get an idea of the difference.

There are tons of comparison threads online of these lights versus an H4 but honestly digital photographs of light output comparisons are pointless because digital cameras automatically adjust for available light, so I don't trust them as a final judgement.
the problem is not the "digital"-cam........the problem is behind the cam...:thumbsup:

.
 
Thread starter
ROCKHARD426_imp said:
CAMOTO , Nice Job ! , Is that all you bought was just the LED Light and the new Bucket from AMAZON and just installed and plugged it in ?

DId you have to buy an adapter harness or anything else ? Thinking about doing mine.

thank you
Yes, so based on what I have seen in some other threads, there's more space between the bucket and the clocks on the '13 than the '14+. For my '13 it was simply swap the bucket and plug it in. For a '14+ I think there are a couple of options: trim the bucket, or use longer brackets (like the ones that come with the Dart flyscreen). There may be other buckets out there with different dimensions too but based on my searching they would probably be a bit harder to find.

BTW, I agree, the light comparison pictures are the camera operator differences and not so much the cameras. Also surrounding lighting conditions, etc etc. I was over-simplifying.

Thanks, Guth!
 
I bought the same bucket for my 2014 and you do have to trim off the back because it does hit the ignition module, keeping the mounting holes from lining up with the brackets
 
Back
Top