Just rode my Sportster then Honda

Todd_K_imp said:
It's been said already, but HD has done an incredible job of reinventing themselves. I went with a buddy to the local Harley palace to pick up some parts, and the selection of aftermarket parts and farkles is just astonishing. Not to mention the HD branded boots (made in China), jackets (combination of China and Pakistan mfg.), t-shirts, belts, buckles, gloves, do-rags, pre-ripped denim vests, yadda yadda yadda. Oh, and more skulls than a fleet of pirate ships. They are selling an image, and clearly it resonates with a good 75-80% of riders in NE IL.

Just for fun while waiting, i tried counting the number of "Harley Davidson", "HD", or shield logos I could find on my buddy's ride (2013 sportster 1200--yes, it does look like a nicely made bike, good attention to detail in most places). Stopped at 43 (tank, guages, analog clock, mirrors, windscreen, headlight, seat, foot pegs, engine cases, license plate bolts, shock absorber bolt covers, and little shield logos in the rubber of the tires, every 5" or so for the circumference of both front and back.
No question about it marketing is Harley's strong suit. Like the bikes don't like the bikes they are exceptional at the selling part of it. I've had a couple and I am the only guy I know who rides'm with stock exhaust. I've found the dealers to be exceptionally friendly and easy to deal with. The bikes LOOK fantastic in the show rooms and they are decidedly not bad bikes (perhaps over priced). You guys who ride CB1100 bikes are not as deeply rooted in the image stuff as the Harley guys and I am not either. I ride my Honda wearing a Triumph jacket and a born again Harley guy surely wouldn't do that. This stuff about which is the best made or "worth it" is pretty much individual opinion. Harley sells tons so the proof of "worth it" is right there. Like it or not. Who cares really. The CB1100 is a real sweet machine but it's certainly NOT selling to the masses so our position is in the minority. We have to live with that reality. I always attempt to see things from the perspective of others and I've got no beef with Harley or Harley riders. They are not inferior or misinformed. They just see it differently the some of us and I for one am glad of that. I like my sportster fine. Not my favorite of all times but neither was the CB1100.
 
Another Harley bashing thread? Really? I own both... plus a Kawasaki. I'm also a Ford stockholder who owns a Ford Expedition and a Lincoln MKS, but just bought a new Mercedes. I wonder what the MB forums would say if they found out they were being 'infiltrated' by someone of such inferior class? Come on guys... Harley's have a following and so do Honda's. As do Ford's and every other car maker. Who's to say which one is 'better'? And better for what? It's mainly personal...
 
Harley Davidsons are very polarizing motorcycles both mechanically and socially. This thread has both positive and negative comments about the brand and it's riders. I don't see this as a Harley Bashing thread as much as a general discussion with opponents and proponents of the brand civilly discussing things. if it would get out of hand I would step in and close it, but so far it hasn't crossed any boundaries in my opinion.
 
It'd be no different if we started talking about Apple and IPods/Pads/tunes/etc. No doubt a quality product (at times) - A cult following? Yep. Well founded cult following?... heh so it begins.. Harley falls into the same group. Personally, Id buy the exact polar opposite of a HD, just for the sake of not buying into the "hype".
 
I buy what works for me, and to heck with the followers or non followers and the rest of the peanut gallery.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
I buy what works for me, and to heck with the followers or non followers and the rest of the peanut gallery.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1
 
I thread going five pages says something about made in the USA. There's a certain feel Harley gives you that no other bike does. The clutch pull and torque from a traffic light, the inertia when shifting without giving it any throttle. The HD V twin has a special feel, you don't get that from metric V twins. Would i own one again, no, but i like renting them every summer in NC.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Harley Davidsons are very polarizing motorcycles both mechanically and socially. This thread has both positive and negative comments about the brand and it's riders. I don't see this as a Harley Bashing thread as much as a general discussion with opponents and proponents of the brand civilly discussing things. if it would get out of hand I would step in and close it, but so far it hasn't crossed any boundaries in my opinion.
Ok, ok... Ferrets right, I stand corrected. (Man, I hate saying that...). And some of the others too... I think we should start a conversation on which one is better, iPhone or Droid, Mac or HP, OS X or Windows. That would be fun too... but would solve nothing. As I said, motorcycles (cars, boats, too) are incredibly personal. I always seem, in social circles, to be the defender of both Honda and Harley. Since I keep these bikes in two different homes, I tend to ride with, or see, others on similar brands in each location. It's amazing what the conversation is like between both hard core groups when the subject comes to 'which one is best, etc'. Best for 'what' is always the question and it never gets answered. I do agree with the author of this thread, on one point. After being away from my Superglide for a while (and after riding the Honda...) when I return and get back on it, I'm amazed at how heavy the bike (especially the front end) feels. At slow speeds the bike is a handful, and feels somewhat clunky, yet once I get moving and get some speed going, after a while the bike becomes a dream to ride. There's quite a difference between the 2 bikes. And it's not even an Electraglide... I can't imagine what they or a Wing must feel like. But different is good, or at least can be...right?
 
We have a small but growing group of guys (replacing the old C4 that had a much bigger following until it closed and everyone went looking for a replacement) that congregate at the Grotto in Cave Creek Arizona. We like cool bikes, no matter what the brand (we even admire a Royal Enfield that shows up; does not mean I let up on the teasing though) and the bikes range from KTM's to Harley's. We even seem to have a Moto Guzzi rally going on from time to time.

The Harley guys tend to gather at the Steel Horse bar up the road. To the best of my knowledge there is no Honda, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi etc. gathering place. It's bikers or motorcyclists.

I think we emphasis the iron, coffee, and bench racing too much at the expense of riding but we celebrate what little common ground we do have and on good days we even learn something from someone outside our comfort zone.

I kinda miss the days when my bike was my transportation and less my entertainment. Things change. sigh.
 
Rboe_imp said:
We have a small but growing group of guys (replacing the old C4 that had a much bigger following until it closed and everyone went looking for a replacement) that congregate at the Grotto in Cave Creek Arizona. We like cool bikes, no matter what the brand (we even admire a Royal Enfield that shows up; does not mean I let up on the teasing though) and the bikes range from KTM's to Harley's. We even seem to have a Moto Guzzi rally going on from time to time.

The Harley guys tend to gather at the Steel Horse bar up the road. To the best of my knowledge there is no Honda, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi etc. gathering place. It's bikers or motorcyclists.

I think we emphasis the iron, coffee, and bench racing too much at the expense of riding but we celebrate what little common ground we do have and on good days we even learn something from someone outside our comfort zone.

I kinda miss the days when my bike was my transportation and less my entertainment. Things change. sigh.
Hey there, Rboe! Hubby & I rode out to the Grotto a while back on a Sunday but I didn't see anyone there that may have been you. Maybe it was the weekend you meet up somewhere else? Or just didn't go that Sunday? I think it was June 22nd.

Regarding the Harley hang out at the Hideaway in Cave Creek, occasionally you see a metric bike there but it is truly pirate territory. Have you seen the new show, "Biker Battleground Phoenix"? http://www.history.com/shows/biker-battleground-phoenix

On the first episode Paul Yaffe, John Shope, and 3 other custom bike builders all met at the Hideaway to challenge each other for a custom bike build off. It was kind of a fun show and we'll continue to watch it even though we're not really into custom bikes. I never realized how many custom bike builders are here in the greater Phoenix area. Really surprised me.
 
Sue I watched one episode of that. I think they said that one guy sold a billion dollars in custom stuff, and he said they stole one exhaust idea from him and it could cost him a million dollars. I can't believe there is that much money in custom bikes, especially to support 4 or 5 builders in one city.
 
Based on the anecdotes here I'd say Harley riders are pretty accepting of the CB1100. I even chatted up a "biker" looking guy at the gas station about the ape hangers on his Softail Deuce. I knew by his "F*ck Off, End of Story" patch he'd be a nice guy! I know that before I started riding I never would have said a word to the guy, but even though the HD camp is usually on the other end of the spectrum, still a fellow rider. I wasn't on my bike at the time, so I don't know what he would have though of the CB. He would have disapproved of the bars for sure, because "if you ain't hanging, you ain't riding"!
 
Yes, that was Paul Yaffe. He's been around for a long time, a good business man as well as a bike builder. There are more than 4 or 5 builders here, too. The ones on the show are Paul Yaffe Originals, John Shope (Dirty Bird), Brian Jenkins (Hatred Customs), Kody McNew (VooDoo Bikeworks), and Len Edmonson (AzzKikr Customs). But there is also Evil Twin, Jim Nasi Customs, Jesse Rooke Customs, and several other smaller builders.

You know, these guys get national exposure and a reputation on a bike builder show and their business just takes off. But Paul Yaffe's been around for quite awhile, before the bike builder shows, so he's had time to build up his business and he's a smart guy. And it's not just local buyers who support these builders, they come from all over the US for their bikes. Frankly, like the Harleys, they're nice looking bikes but I couldn't justify the price of buying one. They're show bikes, or show off bikes. Not really made for comfort or distance riding. Just my opinion. Now someone will come on the forum and tell me that they own a custom and it's the most comfortable bike they've ever ridden, LOL. That's why it's an opinion and not a statement of fact. ;)
 
those shows been around since the 1990's then the markets collaspe 2007 a lot went out of busness . there was one if anybody could build one off bike in 30 days, they get to keep it, if not the lost there dream bike.
 
I remember that show. They made it as difficult as possible and were really mean to them, too. I didn't like that show. LOL
 
Sue; between Flagstaff trips, vacations, dog trials and photoshoots I've have not been up there. Last Saturday was my last trip. May make it up the 20th. All of a sudden this summer has been scheduled two ways to Sunday. Don't see much of a let up until September.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Sue; between Flagstaff trips, vacations, dog trials and photoshoots I've have not been up there. Last Saturday was my last trip. May make it up the 20th. All of a sudden this summer has been scheduled two ways to Sunday. Don't see much of a let up until September.
Okay, maybe we'll see you sometime in September, like towards the end of the month? Know what you mean about being busy. Lately we've only been able to squeeze a quick ride in early in the morning on Saturday or Sunday, and that's it for the week. :(
 
Back
Top