Just rode my Sportster then Honda

Voitus_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi,

I bought my CB1100 EX 2014 a month ago after having HD for like 7 years. Got used to it on my daily city routes. Today I rode my Sportster just to see the difference and then Honda. My God! what a huge difference. I thought something is wrong with HD. It doesn't turn nor brake. It shakes and makes a lot of noise. Now I'm sure I'll get rid of it.

Just sharing my experience since I'm just overwhelmed with CB. Love it.
What was your experince old vs new bike?

Voitus - Warsaw, Poland.
 
G'day and welcome Voitus. I went from a Honda Shadow to the CB1100 and, like you, I have found the CB1100 so much better.

Enjoy the ride.
 
Howdy :hello: and welcome
 
What if other HD riders got a taste of the CB? For many folks, HDs are the only brand of motorcycle they've ever considered, rode, owned, or know anything about.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
What if other HD riders got a taste of the CB? For many folks, HDs are the only brand of motorcycle they've ever considered, rode, owned, or know anything about.
We know what happened when the CBs arrived in the late '60's. HD and Brit bike riders dumped their old wheezers so fast the vacuum made your ears pop. Honda dealers literally had people waiting in line when the shipments of 750s arrived. My brother in law was a factory-trained HD mechanic, but he'd moonlight building new 750s. He said guys were shoving cash in dealers pockets to skip ahead in the waiting line. It took years for the supply to finally catch up with the demand.

The truly bizzare part is how the whole thing flipped in the '90's. Within a few years HD dealers went from staying in business by selling parts and service to having buyers waiting a year or more for a bike...any bike...and then selling those bikes for thousands over MSRP. They'd even get away with forcing people to buy a used bike, or a Buell, to get in line for the bike they really wanted.

What changed? The EVO engine was certainly an improvement, but it can't account for the suddenly insane demand for HDs.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
What if other HD riders got a taste of the CB? For many folks, HDs are the only brand of motorcycle they've ever considered, rode, owned, or know anything about.
We know what happened when the CBs arrived in the late '60's. HD and Brit bike riders dumped their old wheezers so fast the vacuum made your ears pop. Honda dealers literally had people waiting in line when the shipments of 750s arrived. My brother in law was a factory-trained HD mechanic, but he'd moonlight building new 750s. He said guys were shoving cash in dealers pockets to skip ahead in the waiting line. It took years for the supply to finally catch up with the demand.

The truly bizzare part is how the whole thing flipped in the '90's. Within a few years HD dealers went from staying in business by selling parts and service to having buyers waiting a year or more for a bike...any bike...and then selling those bikes for thousands over MSRP. They'd even get away with forcing people to buy a used bike, or a Buell, to get in line for the bike they really wanted.

What changed? The EVO engine was certainly an improvement, but it can't account for the suddenly insane demand for HDs.
HD had become a cultural icon, perhaps something that screams 'American' as much as Levi jeans do/did.
I don't quite understand how this came about, but one thing is for sure, when all the japanese manufacturers came out with their own V-twin engined bikes, many of which were a blatant 'homage' to HD style, that probably only made a 'real' HD that much more valuable.

In 1998 I was one of those surprised people that showed up at an HD dealership and was told to 'get in line and wait' along with everyone else.
I finally got 'my' HD in 2008. I'm so glad I waited as I much prefer a big twin with a counterbalanced engine.

It's a little ironic that the CB1100 has it's own list of 'shortcomings' that we readily accept (high weight, low power, not-razor handling) in order to have an authentic air-cooled in line four experience, just as an air cooled HD has its own set of 'compromises'.
 
funny how fickle American riders are

It happened in the touring market as well. At one time all you saw were Harley dressers out touring. Then the Goldwin came along and with a Vetter fairing bags and trunk all of a sudden there were 25 Wings on the road for every Harley. Fast forward, the Wings are better than ever, but go touring and chances are you will see 25 Harley dressers for every wing you see.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
What if other HD riders got a taste of the CB? For many folks, HDs are the only brand of motorcycle they've ever considered, rode, owned, or know anything about.
We know what happened when the CBs arrived in the late '60's. HD and Brit bike riders dumped their old wheezers so fast the vacuum made your ears pop. Honda dealers literally had people waiting in line when the shipments of 750s arrived. My brother in law was a factory-trained HD mechanic, but he'd moonlight building new 750s. He said guys were shoving cash in dealers pockets to skip ahead in the waiting line. It took years for the supply to finally catch up with the demand.

The truly bizzare part is how the whole thing flipped in the '90's. Within a few years HD dealers went from staying in business by selling parts and service to having buyers waiting a year or more for a bike...any bike...and then selling those bikes for thousands over MSRP. They'd even get away with forcing people to buy a used bike, or a Buell, to get in line for the bike they really wanted.

What changed? The EVO engine was certainly an improvement, but it can't account for the suddenly insane demand for HDs.
HD had become a cultural icon, perhaps something that screams 'American' as much as Levi jeans do/did.
I don't quite understand how this came about, but one thing is for sure, when all the japanese manufacturers came out with their own V-twin engined bikes, many of which were a blatant 'homage' to HD style, that probably only made a 'real' HD that much more valuable.

In 1998 I was one of those surprised people that showed up at an HD dealership and was told to 'get in line and wait' along with everyone else.
I finally got 'my' HD in 2008. I'm so glad I waited as I much prefer a big twin with a counterbalanced engine.

It's a little ironic that the CB1100 has it's own list of 'shortcomings' that we readily accept (high weight, low power, not-razor handling) in order to have an authentic air-cooled in line four experience, just as an air cooled HD has its own set of 'compromises'.
Well put. We humans are funny creatures at times.
 
Voitus_imp said:
Hi,

I bought my CB1100 EX 2014 a month ago after having HD for like 7 years. Got used to it on my daily city routes. Today I rode my Sportster just to see the difference and then Honda. My God! what a huge difference. I thought something is wrong with HD. It doesn't turn nor brake. It shakes and makes a lot of noise. Now I'm sure I'll get rid of it.

Just sharing my experience since I'm just overwhelmed with CB. Love it.
What was your experince old vs new bike?

Voitus - Warsaw, Poland.
What model year is your Sportster? The newer ones are a lot smoother and brake better than the Sporty's I owned. I had an 883 and a 1200, but this was before H-D rubber mounted the engines and improved the brakes. I can't remember when they did this along with fuel injecting the entire line.

My CB1100 makes more power & stops better than any of my H-D's did, and is certainly smoother. I've enjoyed my Harley's but for reasons other than pure performance. I'd have to admit that the same must be said for my Honda since there are many bikes available that will out perform it. But I don't care - they aren't CB 1100's!
 
Timely. I just pulled off for lunch after a hundred miles of NJ/PA backroads flow, and parked up next to a gaggle of batwing fairing Harley's. They all were gob smacked over the CB. None of them had ever even heard of it. It was as if an alien craft had plopped down. Good conversation, and one if the guys said 'I need something like that, I'm sick of this fat, slow thing.' And he wasn't referring to his girlfriend.
 
It took me 4 years and several mods (longer shocks, progressive fork springs, intake, exhaust etc.) to try and make my Sportster 48 something it wasn't meant to be, and I moved to the CB1100. The H-D was a more comfortable bike, but the CB is more competent.
 
Thread starter
Mike Bee_imp said:
Voitus_imp said:
Hi,

I bought my CB1100 EX 2014 a month ago after having HD for like 7 years. Got used to it on my daily city routes. Today I rode my Sportster just to see the difference and then Honda. My God! what a huge difference. I thought something is wrong with HD. It doesn't turn nor brake. It shakes and makes a lot of noise. Now I'm sure I'll get rid of it.

Just sharing my experience since I'm just overwhelmed with CB. Love it.
What was your experince old vs new bike?

Voitus - Warsaw, Poland.
What model year is your Sportster? The newer ones are a lot smoother and brake better than the Sporty's I owned. I had an 883 and a 1200, but this was before H-D rubber mounted the engines and improved the brakes. I can't remember when they did this along with fuel injecting the entire line.

My CB1100 makes more power & stops better than any of my H-D's did, and is certainly smoother. I've enjoyed my Harley's but for reasons other than pure performance. I'd have to admit that the same must be said for my Honda since there are many bikes available that will out perform it. But I don't care - they aren't CB 1100's!
My Sportster is 883 2007 with injection and rubber mounted engine. I bought it since I always wanted "archetype" kind of bike and HD was closest to it. I've tried FJR, BMW 1200GS, Fazer and others but they all had plastic feeling. At some point I even had Gilera scooter as a sign of giving up my search. This year, with no high expectations, I've googled what's new and bam! that's it.The MOTORCYCLE as I always pictured it at last. One hour test ride around local dealership and next day it was mine.

And now I can enjoy smooth naked (not nude :-) ) rides just as I dreamed of as a child. Pure pleasure.

Voitus, Warsaw, Poland
 
Capo_imp said:
Timely. I just pulled off for lunch after a hundred miles of NJ/PA backroads flow, and parked up next to a gaggle of batwing fairing Harley's. They all were gob smacked over the CB. None of them had ever even heard of it. It was as if an alien craft had plopped down. Good conversation, and one if the guys said 'I need something like that, I'm sick of this fat, slow thing.' And he wasn't referring to his girlfriend.

:rofl: good golly thats funny
 
I always ask them if they got the Magnet option, when they ask what that is, I tell them to catch the parts that fall off.
 
I thought my Griso had great handling and great brakes. The CB has better brakes (Griso has Brembo's) and better in the twisty bits (but the Griso is still better in the fast sweepers) and I still prefer the thumping power of the V twin for touring. So far. :)

So the CB has a way of opening up our eyes. Since it's a retro bike I don't see this CB dethroning any current models. She is not cutting edge in that regard. But I think she may redefine what a good standard should be expected to be. The Standard has almost disappeared which is a shame. A darn shame.
 
First. Voitus a one hour test ride! That is just amazing! No test rides here in this part of Texas. My K75 BMW is the smoothest bike from all the forums I have read. It is turbine smooth, but only 65hp. I will tour with it in 7 years when I retire. It will last easily 300,000- or more miles. Amazing machine. The CB1100 is a dream. Not as smooth as my BMW, a little lower to the ground, a little lighter, but I love the Old style and fell. It is fast enough, but still not too much to get me in trouble. It is a better moe modern version of the old CB750 that I always wanted, have and must restore. And of all the motorcycles I've had my 1964 HD Sportster was the most fun and the biggest piece of junk (insert massive foul language). Worse than any old Brit, Italian, German or Japanese motorcycles owned, worked on or drove. It was like working on an old lawn mower. Dead simple crude design and it showed when trying to ride for any distance.

Long live the CB1100!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've had 2 Sportster, a 59 and a 94, (and 3 big twins.). Can't say the bikes were without their issues, but will say none of them ever left me stranded, ie: where I needed to walk home or tow the bike. Must say I DID appreciate them having put an electric starter on the 94 that my 59 did not have. No more kicking. What a blessing.

I have only had one bike ever leave me stranded, my 06 Yamaha Majesty 400 with a bad fuel pump, but even then it couldn't have broken down in a better place, my son's driveway. Pushed it in his garage, called my wife for a ride home (5 miles) came back the next day with my trailer and trailered it down to Yamaha who replaced the pump under warranty.

Knock on wood, motorcycles have been very very good to me.
 
Yep never been left walking. Came close with the BMW, stopped on a very high mountain pass in Idaho. Darn thing would not start. Opened tank, fuel pump working, checked this and that, pushed to face down hill, like all of 10 ft as I was a hair shy of the crest. And it magically fired up. Never understood it to this day. Of course I keep the bikes in tip top shape as where I grew up on the south side of Chicago, if you left a bike on the side of the road unguarded for more than I guess 10 minutes, It sure as heck was not going to be there when you came back.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Oh boy. I had a 2003 1200 Sportster. Not much in common with the CB Hondas from what I can tell. My Hd was pretty reliable, shook and vibrated like you could not believe, and was a sorry POS motorcycle that I never want to own again. I am so happy some pirate ownes it now. I have owned my last HD and want another hONDA.
 
Back
Top