Just found a leak

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well heck. Just rolled my bike into the shop at work, and one of the lights caught a glint on the right side of the engine.

Looks like there's a sweat of oil coming from this area on the sensor that goes into the crank cover on the right side. Anyone know if there's any silicone where this sensor goes into the cover? Looking at the parts fische on Revzilla, it's a pulse sensor. I'd rather not have to buy a new one.

Also, if I remove the cover, anyone know if the gasket is reusable? Thanks
 
There is no gasket. Uses Three-Bond or equivalent with sealant put where shown in the manual. Do not use silicone. Will not hold a bond.

Edit: Beat while typing :(
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys. Scratching my head, as there's no gasket on the parts fische. I'll just get to it when I can, and seal it all back up with some Hylomar or whatever sealant I have rolling around in my toolbox.
Sort of fed up with leaks. Just installed two new toilets in my house and both are leaking, didn't need an encore from my bike.
Ok, next question. I just changed my oil...

Do I have to drain it before I remove this cover? That would not be cool.
 
Gin60: Issues come in threes.

RE CB1100: We know you will be fine. Great close-up shot of the cover casting. A little reminder why I like the CB1100. Beautiful (even with an oil tear).

RE toilets: Yeah, definitely deal with those.
 
Thread starter
Finally got someone on the phone from American Standard. The "Champion 4" toilet is a known leaker. I just mentioned the model and the lady on the phone stopped me and said "Ok, yeah, we'll send you out the improved hardware." So, hopefully the toilets will be fine.

Thanks for the props on my cover casting, GO. Now, when I remove it, any idea if oil will leak out?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Finally got someone on the phone from American Standard. The "Champion 4" toilet is a known leaker. I just mentioned the model and the lady on the phone stopped me and said "Ok, yeah, we'll send you out the improved hardware." So, hopefully the toilets will be fine.

Thanks for the props on my cover casting, GO. Now, when I remove it, any idea if oil will leak out?
I am replacing this cover on my DLX I am restoring. I was wondering the same thing. Guess I will wait for an answer here. I already bought the 'ThreeBond 1207B after some great advice I got here.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Finally got someone on the phone from American Standard. The "Champion 4" toilet is a known leaker. I just mentioned the model and the lady on the phone stopped me and said "Ok, yeah, we'll send you out the improved hardware." So, hopefully the toilets will be fine.

Thanks for the props on my cover casting, GO. Now, when I remove it, any idea if oil will leak out?
We are here --> 2021. Internal leaking toilet components? :dodgy:

I never took the end cap off the CB1100 lump. Is it part of the sump? There seems to be alotta bolts around that cap.
 
Thread starter
Ok, just answered my own question. The cover is well above the sump, and also above the oil sight window when the bike is on the sidestand. So, I'm sure I can remove it without much spillage. Just six screws, can't be that bad.

Strange and off-topic, but there was a shooting right behind my shop that apparently took place just minutes before I arrived and pushed my CB through the back door this morning. The police have had my back door sealed off ever since, so I have nothing better to do than stare at my bike. If I can borrow a car outside of the police cordon area, I can go get some sealant and just take care of it now!

And yes, 2021, and brand new toilets leak right out of the box. The explanation that the lady gave me was that the toilets sit in warehouses that get very hot and very cold, and that the rubber seals can get brittle. Huh. How do they stand up to being constantly submerged, I wonder.
 
No oil will drain out. Only a very little may be in there. Check you PM for info on where to put the sealant, torque values, etc.
 
I just noticed in the manual that it says to seal the wire grommet to use Three Bond 5211C or equiv. and is:

TB5211 is a single-component, non-slumping paste, solvent free and non-acid RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone sealant.

That from the threebond-europe.com

Well so much for not using silicone :D Just use the right kind.

I’ll have to look into getting some of it.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ok, just answered my own question. The cover is well above the sump, and also above the oil sight window when the bike is on the sidestand. So, I'm sure I can remove it without much spillage. Just six screws, can't be that bad.

Strange and off-topic, but there was a shooting right behind my shop that apparently took place just minutes before I arrived and pushed my CB through the back door this morning. The police have had my back door sealed off ever since, so I have nothing better to do than stare at my bike. If I can borrow a car outside of the police cordon area, I can go get some sealant and just take care of it now!

And yes, 2021, and brand new toilets leak right out of the box. The explanation that the lady gave me was that the toilets sit in warehouses that get very hot and very cold, and that the rubber seals can get brittle. Huh. How do they stand up to being constantly submerged, I wonder.
Hey, so like, uh Gin60, ... what ultimately was that about? :s
 
Thread starter
Our office isn't in the best part of Orange County. Someone trying to break into cars near our place was chased by the police into the alley behind our shop, and reached for what looked like a gun. The police shot him in "a lower extremity". For the rest of the day, the police searched the area, keeping our back alley taped off and our door shut while they looked for evidence. Luckily, they cleared out around an hour before I wanted to leave for home.

One of the reasons I roll my bike through our back door and into the shop when I get to work. Or, if I need to use all of the available shop space, the bike is right outside, covered and in my view while I'm working.

This afternoon, while I was working on some equipment around back, something else must have been going on. Police were zipping back and forth up and down our street and alleys, while a helicopter circled very low and slowly around our building.

On another note, when I got home last night, I cleaned off the crank cover and the rubber sensor grommet, and applied some Permatex #2 gasket sealer. I rode the Triumph to work today to give the sealer a day to dry, so we'll see how well that works.
Oh, and hey, just got an email saying that my new toilet seals will arrive tomorrow. As long as the CB leak has been cured, everything's coming up roses!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Our office isn't in the best part of Orange County. Someone trying to break into cars near our place was chased by the police into the alley behind our shop, and reached for what looked like a gun. The police shot him in "a lower extremity". For the rest of the day, the police searched the area, keeping our back alley taped off and our door shut while they looked for evidence. Luckily, they cleared out around an hour before I wanted to leave for home.

One of the reasons I roll my bike through our back door and into the shop when I get to work. Or, if I need to use all of the available shop space, the bike is right outside, covered and in my view while I'm working.

This afternoon, while I was working on some equipment around back, something else must have been going on. Police were zipping back and forth up and down our street and alleys, while a helicopter circled very low and slowly around our building.

On another note, when I got home last night, I cleaned off the crank cover and the rubber sensor grommet, and applied some Permatex #2 gasket sealer. I rode the Triumph to work today to give the sealer a day to dry, so we'll see how well that works.
Oh, and hey, just got an email saying that my new toilet seals will arrive tomorrow. As long as the CB leak has been cured, everything's coming up roses!
Sounds great Gin60. Better than pushing up daisies for sure.
 
Thread starter
Not gonna admit what our toilets smell like, but let's just say that there was at least one benefit to temporary loss of smell due to the 'Rona.

And, rode the CB to work today, and the crank cover is nice and dry, so hopefully the quick seal job worked. Of course, I just jinxed it now, didn't I?
 
Lord Popgun, I have the same leak. Could you also PM me the info on where to put the sealant, torque values, etc? Thx in advance :)
 
Back
Top