Joining the 4-4 club

When I received the pipes I used a dremel tool to take the burs from the inside where they cut slots , probably not needed as pipes slide together well but it "feels' better "
 
Thread starter
Yes- I’m not expecting nice welds or quality control.

This is what it is- an old guy making pipes by hand. Probably not tig- and definitely not a stack of dimes. I’d be very surprised if he purged the pipes.

But, since I can use a center stand and he put on larger O2 bungs for me- there was no other option.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
As mentioned- to keep the center stand and have him accommodate the larger O2 bungs- I am happy.

That being said, people should understand what they are getting.

I have not seen a Moriwaki exhaust in real life, but I am sure the build quality is excellent. The staintune muffler and arrow header I have are excellent.

I have owned a LOT of custom exhausts, intake manifolds, suspension components on many bikes, cars, quads, jet ski, turbo kits, etc.

Here are examples of quality welds-

88003d1efd678c709c1200f868c2e525.jpg



2f1a0441c6c6f20db34e8a85d8818d5e.jpg

83eb749dafd532f1db237b7fa1b0fea0.jpg

6ad606e60f576626a19b457e935eef2f.jpg




What this guy does is quick ‘tooth paste’ welds of questionable quality and then took a grinder to them before chroming to make it look a little less sloppy.

Also the bends are not mandrel, so you can clearly see the creasing.

Will it work? Sure. Does it look poorly done- yes, to anyone who knows what they are looking at.

Are the welds as strong, or will last as long? Doubtful.

There are a couple spots I wonder if he even got a complete weld. Who knows if the temperature was correct- and as I said earlier, I very much doubt he purged the pipes.

As a few years pass- the welds could crack, the joints can rust. Especially the seams... just like the old
mufflers in the 70’s.

They will still look and sound cool- just use these pictures as reference to know what you are buying-

daf16346d76fc6e5c8c4513fc4f3058c.jpg



bdc890f429d34a31e24a1cac72be7a34.jpg

85f57694625d0f7fdc02184eed3f9204.jpg

54929b0b64cea2b521fecbdda4c41847.jpg

e5fe3de2d08b15b0aa7a2e7d6bfa11db.jpg

cd210a4d2475bf86a35e137662084bf8.jpg

01d99b59ff409a57dcdc4afdfe497ea0.jpg

01831dc72d0276c45cde0cd985223245.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My fave exhaust is 4-2. I had a couple of early '90s Nighthawk 750. One had 4-2. I removed the end plate, pulled out the snorters and cut two inches off each one and reinstalled. It sounded sweet! The next one had 4-1, with a giant Yoshi can that I rewrapped four times to get it's sound down to reasonable levels. My current '13 CB is 4-1, and it sounds like a hair dryer, even after drilling the end cap.
 
I had my 2014 with the Pipe Master 4 into 4 out again this morning , I am VERY happy with the way it looks , sounds and runs ! A lot of positive comments from riders I met on the BRP .
 
Thread starter
Parts needed to install should arrive before the weekend. Undecided when I am going to tear the bike apart again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good to see you finally pulled the trigger on the 4-4 you been wanting, PD

Can't wait to see it installed and all dialed in with the Dynojet modules :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Good to see you finally pulled the trigger on the 4-4 you been wanting, PD

Can't wait to see it installed and all dialed in with the Dynojet modules :thumbsup:

Installed. In process of dialing in.

Taking a bit of work- to my knowledge I am the first to tune dual channel cyl 1&2 separate from cyl 3&4.
 
It's unlikely to provide any comfort, Dubs, but I think you're the first to do it too.
 
I been really thinking of swapping to the dlx headers you think 1 o2 could be used for the oem and the other for autotune ? Probably have to find a sensor that fits with the right ohm range to work with the pcv
 
Thread starter
The power commander simply uses a standard Bosch WBO2 sensor.

No need to run the stock sensor- the autotune sensor will take car of everything.

In fact- I think even a 100% stock bike, even on the day it is bought- benefits from a o2 sensor bypass plug for improved rideability.

The bungs for the WBO2 are bigger- so you need to weld on a new one (or two).
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
The power commander simply uses a standard Bosch WBO2 sensor.

No need to run the stock sensor- the autotune sensor will take car of everything.

In fact- I think even a 100% stock bike, even on the day it is bought- benefits from a o2 sensor bypass plug for improved rideability.

The bungs for the WBO2 are bigger- so you need to weld on a new one (or two).
I have a bypass plug just never installed it
 
Thread starter
Pop it in- it makes an improvement you will notice in very low speed, low throttle application- such as pulling into a driveway, parking lot stuff- etc.
 
Thank you Dubs. Been waiting for those pics. They look great.
 
Thread starter
It's an interesting look...and I can see why it never became mainstream.

Many of my friends- several of which have owned motorcycles but don't know the history behind this have seen the bike and raised an eyebrow...

So yea..odd look, added weight, probably less power (will be tested)- but YES it sounds cool!!!
 
Back
Top