Jerky throttle response anyone?

LiveToRide_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have just over 600 miles on my CB and I'm getting a jerky response when decelerating. Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what might be causing it?
 
Check 2 things, throttle play and chain adjustment. Throttle play should be 2 to 4 mm or 1/4" I think and chain 1" to 1 1/4" from pin center pulled down to pin center pushed up. Also try not to "chop" the throttle, practice rolling it on and off.
 
A motorcycle generally reacts to input from the rider, and often we can make them do something undesirable. Don't get me wrong, sometimes bikes have issues, some have FI issues which make them hard to ride smoothly, but the CB has pretty good FI and I think its more of a rider snapping the throttle shut and drive line slack being felt than any real issue with the bike. I can make mine do that if I want, and have, but if you are smooth on and off the throttle the bike will reward you with smoothness. Proper throttle play and chain adjustment also helps with that issue.
 
The ferret_imp said:
A motorcycle generally reacts to input from the rider, and often we can make them do something undesirable. Don't get me wrong, sometimes bikes have issues, some have FI issues which make them hard to ride smoothly, but the CB has pretty good FI and I think its more of a rider snapping the throttle shut and drive line slack being felt than any real issue with the bike. I can make mine do that if I want, and have, but if you are smooth on and off the throttle the bike will reward you with smoothness. Proper throttle play and chain adjustment also helps with that issue.
I agree with this. I noticed it gets worse as chain slack grows. I think keeping minimum chain slack and minimum throttle play would help a lot with this.
 
LiveToRide_imp said:
I have just over 600 miles on my CB and I'm getting a jerky response when decelerating. Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what might be causing it?
I'm going to suggest that you switch to decaf.

Chip
 
The ferret_imp said:
Check 2 things, throttle play and chain adjustment. Throttle play should be 2 to 4 mm or 1/4" I think and chain 1" to 1 1/4" from pin center pulled down to pin center pushed up. Also try not to "chop" the throttle, practice rolling it on and off.
It's actually 1" to 1.4". I've seen the 1¼" thrown around a couple times, but it's actually 1.4". ;)
 
I'm going to suggest that you never decelerate ;)

Seriously though, good points on the chain and throttle play.
 
The first service is at 600 cause the chain will stretch, the throttle mechanism is breaking in, all things to be expected on a new bike. However, once all the specs are back in order and everyone has suggested, all will be right once again. I haven't had a chain on a bike in years, so it just takes getting use too.
 
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Check 2 things, throttle play and chain adjustment. Throttle play should be 2 to 4 mm or 1/4" I think and chain 1" to 1 1/4" from pin center pulled down to pin center pushed up. Also try not to "chop" the throttle, practice rolling it on and off.
It's actually 1" to 1.4". I've seen the 1¼" thrown around a couple times, but it's actually 1.4". ;)
It's actually 1" to 1.4". I've seen the 1¼" thrown around a couple times, but it's actually 1.4". ;)

Randy.. The owners manual says 1- 1.4 the decal on the swingarm says simply 1 1/4 " its not critical as long as it doesn't exceed 2" or go below 1". I've found it to shift a little better when adjusted to 1 1/4 or less.
 
I've noticed something similar, but my theory is that it's something else and not the chain or the throttle play. I think the FI on the 1100 has the same thing that cars have had since the mid seventies, and that's a gradual closing of the throttle when decelerating. I've only had mine for 3 weeks and put a couple of hundred miles on it, but I noticed this right off the bat. If I let off the throttle, it feels like the throttle doesn't go to a closed position immediately, there's a slight delay. I've never had another motorcycle that felt like this, and I think it's simply part of the pollution control tuning of the fuel injection.
 
I noticed you live in california, as do I. We Californian's have strict emission laws. My guess is the ECU is slowly shuts off the fuel to insure complete combustion of all fuel entering the cylinder when you roll off the throttle. I usually notice one random jerk when I engine brake.
 
Sometimes I notice a kind of "jerk" from the throttle. At first I thought it was because of the aftermarket bar end I had, slightly rubbing against the grip, after taking them off I could still feel it. Plus, I only feel it 5th gear now, sometimes in 4th if I am going fast enough, just cruising around I don't notice it at all. It's been awhile since I've been on the freeway, not sure if it is still there. I'm not too worried about what I'm feeling though, I did freak out when I first felt it t about 400 miles when it was really noticeable even at lower speeds, not so much anymore.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Check 2 things, throttle play and chain adjustment. Throttle play should be 2 to 4 mm or 1/4" I think and chain 1" to 1 1/4" from pin center pulled down to pin center pushed up. Also try not to "chop" the throttle, practice rolling it on and off.
It's actually 1" to 1.4". I've seen the 1¼" thrown around a couple times, but it's actually 1.4". ;)
It's actually 1" to 1.4". I've seen the 1¼" thrown around a couple times, but it's actually 1.4". ;)

Randy.. The owners manual says 1- 1.4 the decal on the swingarm says simply 1 1/4 " its not critical as long as it doesn't exceed 2" or go below 1". I've found it to shift a little better when adjusted to 1 1/4 or less.
It's actually 1" to 1.4". I've seen the 1¼" thrown around a couple times, but it's actually 1.4". ;)

Randy.. The owners manual says 1- 1.4 the decal on the swingarm says simply 1 1/4 " its not critical as long as it doesn't exceed 2" or go below 1". I've found it to shift a little better when adjusted to 1 1/4 or less.
Interesting. I didn't actually read the swingarm. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at that the next time I check the chain.
 
I must also add that the thin diameter of the throttle grip does not help gaining smooth control of the throttle. See my post about ALTERNATIVE TO GRIP REPLACEMENT.
 
Thread starter
Chain and throttle cable adjustment fixed most of what I was experiencing but I think the throttle response if a bit jerky even when everything is properly adjusted.
 
The bike has some, it doesn't seem any worse then the other stock bikes I've had. A Power Commader makes things smoother then stock, won't be to much longer I hope.
 
Its called (herky jerky ) found on all chain bikes, some more than others. To decrease this as said, adjust chain to min. slack 1" and avoid operator error by coming off and on throttle abruptly. My GSX750 was the worst until you learn to roll on and off throttle smoothly. The CB seems to be much better than most :)
 
meowguy_imp said:
I must also add that the thin diameter of the throttle grip does not help gaining smooth control of the throttle. See my post about ALTERNATIVE TO GRIP REPLACEMENT.
that grip stuff is good, the grip was too narrow before. i can wrap the throttle in an almost normal fashion now. the fingers were sticking too much towards the wrist before. the increased circumference of the throttle increases the intervals of the rolling action of the throttle much better than the stock. nice find meowguy. thanks.
 
CB is a whole lot better than most. Learn to be smooooth on the throttle. Its worse if you're going slow... You can shift down or if already in 1st try to be accelerating a little or decelerating a little, or if going real slow, don't just use throttle to speed up but pull in the clutch a little as if you're starting from a stop. A perfectly steady slow speed with only the throttle is probably impossible.

careful not to set chain too tight ...you're going to have some lash in the drive train no matter what.
 
Back
Top