Japanese motorcycles hate

usa_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all

I am a newbie in this forum but not new to riding. I would like to ask you all about your thoughts about the hatred of Japanese motorcycles in some circles here in the USA. Some are very vocal and demonstrative about such hatred.

I know people who don't like Japanese motorcycles at all and they didn't hesitate to let me know. They told me that as American I should buy American. For years, Japanese motorcycles were not on my list of consideration. But lately, I've read a little bit about motorcycle history in general, and such reading led me to consider Japanese motorcycles again.

I will share with you the reasons why Japanese motorcycles are back on my list, but first, I would like to hear from your thoughts before I share mines.
 
I have not encountered very many folks who hate Japanese bikes. A few who would never buy one, but not many who "hate" them. Sometimes they come at me with the "buy American" stuff and I start talking about free-trade and its benefits to the economy and how most Americans have done better in their lives because of it. I have a few quotes from some highly-regarded economists at the ready, too. They usually get bored and walk away from me well before I have to drag out the Milton Freidman quotes, though.

I believe that if a person wants to ride, then he should ride what suits him best. Good luck!

MTC
 
I never encountered it. I bought my bike at a Honda/Indian/Victory dealership. The retro nature of the CB1100 draws lots of friendly interest among the HD crowd, in my experience. But regardless, everyone should buy the bike they think is right for them. In turn, manufacturers can then build the bikes they think they'll sell the most of. Least that's how I see it. Good luck in getting what's right for you!
 
Those people are small thinkers. Their beloved HD has a lot of foreign made components.

I have not meet a non-USA hater in over 40 years. If they are your friends or coworkers, get new ones.

Buy what you want and enjoy.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
We sometimes get the "Harley attitude" towards Japanese bikes (or anything not a Harley for that matter), but no real hostility and certainly not hate. Generally speaking, it's all very friendly.
When I came back to bikes in 1992 it was on a Honda NT650 Hawk.
I noticed right away that Harley riders would not wave back, but over the years this has softened and now it's often the Harley guys who wave first.
Back around 1993/4, I came upon a Harley rider broken down by the side of the road. I stopped and offered to give him a lift to the nearest telephone, but he declined.
I guess he would rather be stuck on the side of the road than be seen on a Japanese bike :D
 
Nobody I associate with has this attitude.

and for the record I love Japanese bikes (and American, and Italian, and German, and British, and Austrian and....)
 
I ride Japanese and Russian bikes these days, previous recent bikes have included German and British. Haven't received anything but good natured ribbing from the V-Twin crowd and I always respond with a quip and a laugh. Seems the younger crowd in matching outfits really wants to try and prove something (as they stand there in their Asian made clothing tapping away on their Asian made phones) while the older crowd that actually rides wants to talk about motorcycling in general and good roads in particular.

I overheard a "well seasoned" rider tell his pillion companion this summer when she commented on my bike that "It's not what you ride but that you do". Posers pose and riders ride.
 
I used to see a lot more of this back in the 70s and early 80s. If anything, you would get a one finger salute from the HD crowd (although I was living in Milwaukee then). Shortly after that, I was out of riding for a while. In 2006 I was able to start riding again on an 06 ST1300 and one of the first things noticed was how friendly most all of the riders were, including the HD crowd. Times change. I guess most of us realize that we're all out there together doing what we love on the bike that suits us best.
 
No, never had a problem with someone hating on my Japanese motorcycle(s).

I DID once have a problem with a guy on a Gold Wing that threw a fit, and called me a traitor for wearing a Harley t-shirt and riding our Gold Wing. He was REALLY having a bad day.

Beemer riders being snobby.

Sport bike riders passing me in my lane, while riding on the back wheel

.... (insert your experience here) ....
.
.
We used to get these 100% cotton long-sleeved t-shirts at the local Harley dealer (on the closeout rack) for $10. They breathe well, and wear like iron.
Note nice LS Harley t-shirt on the Wife.
.
.
ba3516813583743525c52b81cdde4100.jpg
 
Back in the late '70's, maybe early '80's it was sorta common, especially among the Harley crowd. I would not be surprised to see it today but it would be in a very small group and it seems we'll always have a very minor minorty that hates something.

I mingle with a pretty diverse group that tends towards Italian bikes but they just like good bikes and appreciate the better efforts of any brand. This is the norm in my world.
 
Thread starter
Perhaps the word "hate" is too strong.

But I do feel hostility whenever I mentioned about the possibility of buying a non-American motorcycle and for being interested in "Japanese plastic junk", etc.

I did not experience the same level of hostility when I said I was also interested in German and Italian motorcycles.
 
For years I rode an ADV bike pretty much daily - no choice, I didn't own a car. A lot of people sneeringly dismissed the bike as just another "crotch-rocket". No hate, just a smug kind of condescension as if it wasn't a real bike just because it didn't say H-D on it. I quickly noticed that they fell into two groups - those that didn't have a bike to begin with, and those who just bought a H-D recently. Pretty soon the new bike owners sold their rides and moved on to some other fad, and here I am still riding. So I mostly ignored them.

The long term riders never had an issue with it.

The same people that put down my V-Strom don't really know what to make of the CB1100. It doesn't fit their idea of crotch-rocket, has a pretty mean stance, and so I've gotten some surprised comments about how good it looks.
 
I seem to have my share of Prius owners wanting to impress upon me that they get better fuel mileage and are more environmentally responsible than me. The funny part is, I think they DO get better fuel mileage than my Honda. I always try to impress upon them that I'm not actually going anywhere - I'm simply burning fuel for no good reason.

Then there are the Subaru owners. It's all about the love. These owners seem to always appreciate this bumper sticker on the side cases on my Versys...
.
.
73afd943c09eb02175bbdfe453b4ddff.jpg

.
.
.
everyone hates something
.
.
motorcycles are not unique here.
.
.
 
We have a large, what I would call a motorcycle family at our church. We also meet with other local motorcyclists on Bike Night once a month. Most of these folks are Harley riders. There is a great deal of friendly banter between riders of American brands and others but all done in good humor. I have owned BMW's, Moto Guzzi, Triumph and all the Asian brands in 50 years of riding and have enjoyed all of them. I've never owned a Harley but would not hesitate buying one that I liked.
 
People love to get bent out of shape over tribal loyalties. In general I've found that the more miles someone has on their machine(s), the less they care about what other people are riding.
 
There are only 2 things, I hate:
1. prejudice,
2. Harley riders.







Disclaimer: This is a joke! If you don't get it, you may be a Harley rider.

Disclaimer 2: This was another joke!

Disclaimer 3: I'm a German and an engineer. People of both groups are not supposed to make good jokes.
 
dwcurton_imp said:
For years I rode an ADV bike pretty much daily - no choice, I didn't own a car. A lot of people sneeringly dismissed the bike as just another "crotch-rocket". No hate, just a smug kind of condescension as if it wasn't a real bike just because it didn't say H-D on it. I quickly noticed that they fell into two groups - those that didn't have a bike to begin with, and those who just bought a H-D recently. Pretty soon the new bike owners sold their rides and moved on to some other fad, and here I am still riding. So I mostly ignored them.

The long term riders never had an issue with it.

The same people that put down my V-Strom don't really know what to make of the CB1100. It doesn't fit their idea of crotch-rocket, has a pretty mean stance, and so I've gotten some surprised comments about how good it looks.
Howdy dw. I grew up in Dickinson. Wish I still lived somewhere that I could use a bike for primary transport all year round!
My old Baycliff/San Leon Harley-riding friends give me a hard time about my ride choice, but before that they gave me a hard time about other things. All in good fun.
I knew that the "Harley or Die" thing was shifting when I saw an interview with Sonny Barger where he said that he regretted sticking with Harleys. He said unequivocally that the Japanese were making better, faster, more dependable bikes. If HE says it, it must be so.

Ah! Found the quote from his book... "But Hell's Angels started riding Harley-Davidsons mostly because, unlike today, they didn't have much choice. In 1957, it was either ride a Harley or settle for a Triumph or BSA. They'd already stopped building Indians. It's always been important for Hell's Angels to ride American-made machines. In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say, "#$%* Harley Davidson. You can buy an ST1100 and the mother#$%*er will do 110 miles per hour right from the factory all day long." The newest "rice rockets" can carry 140 horsepower to the rear wheel, and can easily do 180 miles per hour right out of the box. While it's probably too late to switch over now, it would have been a nice move, because Japanese bikes today are so much cheaper and better built. However, Japanese motorcycles don't have as much personality."
 
Django_imp said:
There are only 2 things, I hate:
1. prejudice,
2. Harley riders.







Disclaimer: This is a joke! If you don't get it, you may be a Harley rider.

Disclaimer 2: This was another joke!

Disclaimer 3: I'm a German and an engineer. People of both groups are not supposed to make good jokes.
:rofl:
 
Back
Top