Japan Motorcycle History

RockHop_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
While searching for information on Japanese Shinkansen trains (bullet trains), I found a YouTube series on all things Japanese called Japanology. I think you will find this video of the history of Japanese motorcycles quite interesting.

Begin Japanology - Motorcycles
 
The video is worth it for the story of Yoshimura alone.
 
Great vid, I enjoyed it, but it made it seem like Japan invented the four cylinder moto engine, when in fact it was the Belgians who did it first.
 
Belgian FN was an inline 4 (front to back making for a very long motor) Japanese CB 750 was a transverse 4 (side to side.. Making for a short but wide motor). Although both 4 cyls they were very different in execution. I can't remember anyone making a transverse 4 before Honda. At least not a production bike. Would have to comb thru my reference books for conformation though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Belgian FN was an inline 4 (front to back making for a very long motor) Japanese CB 750 was a transverse 4 (side to side.. Making for a short but wide motor). Although both 4 cyls they were very different in execution. I can't remember anyone making a transverse 4 before Honda. At least not a production bike. Would have to comb thru my reference books for conformation though.
One thing for certain, Honda's implementation was reliable, low maintenance and fun.
 
While they were very limited production, the MV Agusta 600 and the Munch Mammoth both preceded the CB750. Maybe that stretches the definition of production a bit.:s
 
I remember the Munch Mammoth but if I'm not mistaken that was kind of a Frankenstein bike built using an NSU car engine and not an engine made specifically for a motorcycle.

Don't remember the MV 600 going to have to research that one.

Looks like you are right...1967, although only 127 of them were produced. Still it beat the Honda 750 by a year.

The Modern Four: 1967 MV Agusta 600 - Motorcycle Classics
 
The ferret_imp said:
I remember the Munch Mammoth but if I'm not mistaken that was kind of a Frankenstein bike built using an NSU car engine and not an engine made specifically for a motorcycle.

Don't remember the MV 600 going to have to research that one.

Looks like you are right...1967, although only 127 of them were produced. Still it beat the Honda 750 by a year.

The Modern Four: 1967 MV Agusta 600 - Motorcycle Classics
Nice read Ferret. Thanks for sharing.
 
There was the Ariel square 4. Does that count? There was also a Danish motorcycle called the Nimbus which had an inline 4 -cylinder engine, although it was mounted fore and aft rather than laterally. Nimbus (motorcycle) - Wikipedia
 
Back
Top