J3?s polls, #1, engine guards

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The first poll asks how many CB owners have installed engine guards, and how soon after purchase.
 
Never have liked engine guards or crash bars or whatever you want to call them. If I wreck it, the insurance company can buy me new parts.
 
I have engine guards ready BEFORE the new bike arrives at my house as I never have full coverage on any bike I ever bought used or new.
 
I've installed from new when I purchased the bike in 2016 , just getting back on 2 wheels after almost 30 years away from it
Hondaline Case savers and flitted some Kuryaykn folding foot bars for longer rides to change up riding position. Certainly anything we add takes away from the clean classic naked Honda look.
b5d2471f3bc67635648fe4723c2315ff.jpg


2013 Cb 1100 "
 
For me, there are three considerations that lead me to buy bars soon:

1. for the cb11100, bars give me a place to mount hiway pegs so I can stretch legs for long trips
2. they may protect engine from scratch / scrape if there's a non-moving tip-over
3. I want to think that something is going make contact with the ground before my leg should I decide to go a slidin'

With the black SW Motech bars, visually I barely notice they are there.
 
pdedse_imp said:
For me, there are three considerations that lead me to buy bars soon:

1. for the cb11100, bars give me a place to mount hiway pegs so I can stretch legs for long trips
2. they may protect engine from scratch / scrape if there's a non-moving tip-over
3. I want to think that something is going make contact with the ground before my leg should I decide to go a slidin'

With the black SW Motech bars, visually I barely notice they are there.
Ditto! OBW, I bought OEM rack from Samurider.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Never have liked engine guards or crash bars or whatever you want to call them. If I wreck it, the insurance company can buy me new parts.
Unless they total it....at which point you may be burying a bike. Ypu might say "well then get a new bike with the payout" but that payout is usually garbage. What's more, if the bike is sentimental to you in any way ypu may not be able to replace it. I'd hate to lose my cb....buying some other bike just wouldn't cut it.
 
Worked in the motorcycle industry for 17 years. Never saw engine guards prevent a bike from being totalled. At most they might save an outer engine case on 1 side usually. Engine guards do nothing when hitting a left turner or rear ending a vehicle ahead of you. They dont do anything if you are rear ended. At best they help in a standing still drop or in a low speed low side. I have seen bent frames from being dropped on an engine guard.

Hey I am not trying to discourage others from using them, that is their choice. My choice is not to use them.

55 years, 31 street motorcycles, untold miles, I just have never found a use for them, and yes I have dropped several bikes. What is the cost of an outer engine case compared to a set of case guards?
 
The CB1100 looks natural without the engine guards. I didn't install any. Not having them gave me more incentive to not drop the machine. None of my CBs had engine guards.

Conversely, my adventure bike has a lower engine guard. It is ugly compared to the CB1100, however, it has a tendency to drop, especially when used off-road. Putting ugly-on-ugly is ugly. So nothing lost.
 
I installed engine guards for one purpose only: They're a mount for highway pegs. Highway pegs help me to ride longer, which is a Good Thing.
 
Roper_imp said:
I installed engine guards for one purpose only: They're a mount for highway pegs. Highway pegs help me to ride longer, which is a Good Thing.
Strangely, I have highway pegs on my adventure engine guard too. They feel good.
 
j3gq_imp said:
The first poll asks how many CB owners have installed engine guards, and how soon after purchase.
I install them on every bike. Usually, I look for black, but I put chrome guards on the CB1100.
 
My legs aren't long enough to reach highway pegs lol
 
They do two things very well: I had my 550, get away from me for a second and she bounced off the case savers - instead of the cases. Since I was working at a Honda/Suzuki shop I can say while working in the industry I've seen case savers work as intended. :D

2: Let's say you prang the bike out in the boonies. They can keep the accident from holing the cases causing vital fluids from leaking out preventing you from getting home. Bike may still be totaled but you got home unassisted. Or, back in the day, keep you from crushing the points - still the same problem - you won't need a tow. Keep in mind, this was in the pre-cell phone days.

I'm sold on them.
 
I recall gouging the heck out of my points cover on ye olde '76 Yamaha RD400. The cover saved the points, and I never did replace the poor cover - but always intended to.
 
No engine guards on the CB1100 for me.
I've been trying to reduce it's weight from day 1, so much so that I went out and lost 13kg myself. Adding another 5kg in pipes and bolts seems counterproductive.
Also for me the CB1100 is a pure street bike so even when I drop it the engine cases are more likely to scratch than to crack, and as we learnt in a different thread - I don't care about scratches,

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I installed them after the reading the thread on the forum!..never before on 50 bikes previously owned.
I really wanted to belong here...I thought they were mandatory :dodgy:
 
Mercurysilver_imp said:
I installed them after the reading the thread on the forum!..never before on 50 bikes previously owned.
I really wanted to belong here...I thought they were mandatory :dodgy:

Mercury, You are more than welcome here and you do belong. If you look at your poll, more voters have installed them than not. Over the life of this board a LOT of members installed engine guards. Some of us not. No biggie either way. Do what you like and enjoy your bike. And if you post a pic WE will enjoy your bike.

But RLETs are another discussion :D
 
Back
Top