J3?s polls, #1, engine guards

I was fully in the Ferret camp until a few years ago. I wasn’t concerned about the cost of repairing damaged side cases or about them getting scraped/scratched. I’m still not, but I read about someone who had a relatively low-speed drop that did enough damage to the engine to leave the rider stranded (I think he lost fluid, but I don’t recall now).

I don’t care for the chrome Honda guards because they’d be too noticeable on my bike (black engine, black exhaust). I was lucky enough to find a set of SW Motecs for sale on the forum. They’re black and relatively unobtrusive so they fit my aesthetic needs while reducing (ever so slightly) the likelihood of me becoming stranded far from home.
 
Thread starter
See it in action ! Do not wonna influence anybody, the poll is to see your preferences before discussion. Yet, the following video (an advert from sw-motech) I think might be able to show what a crash bar can and /or cannot do.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mercurysilver_imp said:
I installed them after the reading the thread on the forum!..never before on 50 bikes previously owned.
I really wanted to belong here...I thought they were mandatory :dodgy:

Mercury, You are more than welcome here and you do belong. If you look at your poll, more voters have installed them than not. Over the life of this board a LOT of members installed engine guards. Some of us not. No biggie either way. Do what you like and enjoy your bike. And if you post a pic WE will enjoy your bike.

But RLETs are another discussion :D
RLETs can be construed as an enlightened entity whose presence can advert resulting damage, particularly to sensitive, enameled sheet metal surfaces.

The bike doesn't even need to fall over for 'em to be effective.
 
the other side of the coin

Crashbar dented my frame...

Many stories about bent frames from case guards in forums

At least one forum member here said his case guards caused him to crash in a turn.

Like I said weigh the option and decide for yourself
 
I don't care for the look of engine guards on the CB so I have sliders instead. Will they protect as well as the engine guards? No, but I'm willing to make that concession.

I also don't care to have highway pegs on the CB. Again, I don't like the look but also I don't do that type of riding on my CB. I'm fortunate to have two other bikes that give me different riding styles and usually choose which bike I'm going to ride on a particular day based on the type of ride I'm doing.
 
Ferret, to be fair is was one brand of engine guards. I'd have to look to see which ones, but many have been warned about those.
 
j3gq_imp said:
See it in action ! Do not wonna influence anybody, the poll is to see your preferences before discussion. Yet, the following video (an advert from sw-motech) I think might be able to show what a crash bar can and /or cannot do.
The link is not working, mind sharing again?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
When considering crash bars one needs to see how they attach to the frame/engine and how ponder how the forces would affect said parts if the crash bars were called into action. Some engine designs really hinder a proper case saver/crash bar design (Moto Guzzi Griso comes to mind, a friend had a set and it was a monstrosity - never did add them to the Griso). The one time I crashed the Griso it was bad enough the valve covers were holed and life blood came out. Since I needed to take a ride in the ambulance anyway the bike got transported from the scene.

Boxer engines are not a big help either but I have less experience with those.

Now on my big single, the XR650L, I've added armor plating to the cases because folks have found the brake or gear shift lever can hole the cases if the drop is violent enough. Ugly, but hey, it's a dual sport. Ugly comes with the territory. :D
 
Tod, here's the link again,
Worked all right for me.
 
Rboe_imp said:
When considering crash bars one needs to see how they attach to the frame/engine and how ponder how the forces would affect said parts if the crash bars were called into action. Some engine designs really hinder a proper case saver/crash bar design (Moto Guzzi Griso comes to mind, a friend had a set and it was a monstrosity - never did add them to the Griso). The one time I crashed the Griso it was bad enough the valve covers were holed and life blood came out. Since I needed to take a ride in the ambulance anyway the bike got transported from the scene.

Boxer engines are not a big help either but I have less experience with those.

Now on my big single, the XR650L, I've added armor plating to the cases because folks have found the brake or gear shift lever can hole the cases if the drop is violent enough. Ugly, but hey, it's a dual sport. Ugly comes with the territory. :D
:rofl:

Cormanus_imp said:
Tod, here's the link again,
Worked all right for me.
Das auto.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Worked in the motorcycle industry for 17 years. Never saw engine guards prevent a bike from being totalled. At most they might save an outer engine case on 1 side usually. Engine guards do nothing when hitting a left turner or rear ending a vehicle ahead of you. They dont do anything if you are rear ended. At best they help in a standing still drop or in a low speed low side. I have seen bent frames from being dropped on an engine guard.

Hey I am not trying to discourage others from using them, that is their choice. My choice is not to use them.

55 years, 31 street motorcycles, untold miles, I just have never found a use for them, and yes I have dropped several bikes. What is the cost of an outer engine case compared to a set of case guards?
I've ridden many years, and have owned 25+ motorcycles myself. I've had two minor spills on my 1976 CB750F where the case guards saved my engine. At the very least, the case guards saved me from having to have my bike towed home due to a broken engine case and all the oil leaking out, and they saved me hundreds of dollars in repair expenses (I don't put full coverage on my motorcycles, and this alone saves me thousands of dollars over the life of my bike).
 
Dave_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Worked in the motorcycle industry for 17 years. Never saw engine guards prevent a bike from being totalled. At most they might save an outer engine case on 1 side usually. Engine guards do nothing when hitting a left turner or rear ending a vehicle ahead of you. They dont do anything if you are rear ended. At best they help in a standing still drop or in a low speed low side. I have seen bent frames from being dropped on an engine guard.

Hey I am not trying to discourage others from using them, that is their choice. My choice is not to use them.

55 years, 31 street motorcycles, untold miles, I just have never found a use for them, and yes I have dropped several bikes. What is the cost of an outer engine case compared to a set of case guards?
I've ridden many years, and have owned 25+ motorcycles myself. I've had two minor spills on my 1976 CB750F where the case guards saved my engine. At the very least, the case guards saved me from having to have my bike towed home due to a broken engine case and all the oil leaking out, and they saved me hundreds of dollars in repair expenses (I don't put full coverage on my motorcycles, and this alone saves me thousands of dollars over the life of my bike).

That's interesting, Dave. I have progressive and was really surprised when they told me the difference between full coverage ($250 deductible) and liability was only about $30-35 more for a six month period. Had full coverage that paid out about $3000 after an accident on my sportster, so for me the extra $60-70 per year was well worth it.
 
The insurance rates in Oregon must be different than California. I have not checked insurance rates in years (I am happy with my insurance as it is), but when I insured my Honda VFR800 my insurance company told me it was classified as a "High Performance" motorcycle, and the cost to include full coverage (fire, theft, and collision) added $800.00 per year to my total coverage. I have owned this motorcycle for 22 years now, and this makes the money I saved by not having full-coverage insurance $17,600.00 - enough to buy a brand new motorcycle and have a lot of money left over. I am presently paying $195.28 per year to cover three motorcycles - and I have the medical coverage at the maximum provided.
 
Insurance rates are likely dramatically different between Oregon and California (between California and anywhere, really). If, like Houtman and Dave, you have the means to absorb the cost of damage to your motorcycle(s), then you should probably not buy the insurance, even if it's cheap. When the CB1100s first came to the US, Progressive rated them as a performance bike, but that has changed. My Physical Damage (Comprehensive/Collision) totals $87.00/year here in the great state of Illinois with a $125.00 deductible. I also get some "carried contents" (personal belongings) and accessory coverage with that. The same coverage for my wife's Speedmaster is $89.00, but her bike is new and arguably more valuable than mine. If we had a spare, say, $15,000 around and if I wasn't the agent and therefore getting a commission on the premium, I think we'd go the Houtman/Dave route. We might also do that if motorcycling was a more casual hobby for us. If that were the case, then we'd have option not to replace a damaged bike and just be done with it. That is not the case, though, since motorcycling has become a big part of our lives.

Oh..and if you have financed the purchase of your motorcycle, the lender may require that you carry the Physical Damage coverage anyway.

If Dave were my insurance client, I would tell him that he's doing the right thing for his circumstances, but I'd suggest that he ought to periodically check on the cost of the Physical Damage coverage if only to be more accurate in his savings estimate.
 
I have had Progressive on my bikes since 1985 and State farm for our cars, house and liability insurance also since 1985. I never check rates from other companies as both treat me well (NEVER used them yet and I hope that it stays that way !) I also have the highest deductible possible , $ 1000 on the cars and $ 5000 on the house.
I do not want to use our house insurance to "maintain our house" , take care of things before they become a problem like roofs and water equipment.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Worked in the motorcycle industry for 17 years. Never saw engine guards prevent a bike from being totalled. At most they might save an outer engine case on 1 side usually. Engine guards do nothing when hitting a left turner or rear ending a vehicle ahead of you. They dont do anything if you are rear ended. At best they help in a standing still drop or in a low speed low side. I have seen bent frames from being dropped on an engine guard.

Hey I am not trying to discourage others from using them, that is their choice. My choice is not to use them.

55 years, 31 street motorcycles, untold miles, I just have never found a use for them, and yes I have dropped several bikes. What is the cost of an outer engine case compared to a set of case guards?
I've ridden many years, and have owned 25+ motorcycles myself. I've had two minor spills on my 1976 CB750F where the case guards saved my engine. At the very least, the case guards saved me from having to have my bike towed home due to a broken engine case and all the oil leaking out, and they saved me hundreds of dollars in repair expenses (I don't put full coverage on my motorcycles, and this alone saves me thousands of dollars over the life of my bike).
My best guess / answer from talking to a guy who had an accident, followed by a heavy drop and slide ... on just one side: outer engine case cracked, the generator coils got damaged, plus labor, he paid 1500 plus taxes. A good engine guard comes at 150 plus installation (DIY). So the ratio can be 10:1 or worse !
Of course there was other damage, every case is different.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have had Progressive on my bikes since 1985 and State farm for our cars, house and liability insurance also since 1985. I never check rates from other companies as both treat me well (NEVER used them yet and I hope that it stays that way !) I also have the highest deductible possible , $ 1000 on the cars and $ 5000 on the house.
I do not want to use our house insurance to "maintain our house" , take care of things before they become a problem like roofs and water equipment.
You're my ideal client. Move to Illinois
 
This summer, I dropped my CB (2017) while entering into a side road and it slided from underneath me for a few meters without any damaged to the engine case.
I sanded the damaged section and repainted it black, looks like new :dodgy:

Anyone ever installed a highway foot peg on their SWMotech engine guard?

I installed the SWMotech bars (black) within a week of possession and never regretted it.

Regards
Alain
 
Back
Top