Is your CB a keeper?

Thread starter
I find that motorcycles, at least in our developed country's, evoke quite the emotion. Not only from a decision to buy but from a decision to keep. I bought my orig. 2013 because it reminded me so much of the orig CB750, (that I had never owned or even rode for that matter), back in the day. Then, one year later, I traded her in on my 2014 Deluxe because it reminded me even MORE of that orig CB750. I won't sell this bike because it pushes all the buttons I wanted pushed. For me, it's a terrific, middle weight, all around UJM. It can take me almost anywhere I want to go. It's not the best handler, sport bikes are better. It's not the best tourer because its too small, it lacks storage, protection, and has that #%^+ chain which I hate. My Harley is better. It wouldn't make a good Adventure Bike although I know of at least a few people who are trying to prove that it is. My KLR is better. And frankly (I'll get hate mail for this), I don't think the fit/finish is really that good. But that 4 cylinder air cooled engine loves to rev and has a design that belongs in a museum. It has 4 chrome headers and 2 chrome mufflers that love to sparkle, and the way it sounds under way is just too good for ears. It pushes the buttons. I could say similar things about the other bikes in my stable... while they push different buttons, they push MY buttons. I don't think anyone buys a motorcycle in the US, Canada, Austrailia, France, Great Britain, or in any other developed county in the world for any reason outside of emotion. No one NEEDS a motorcycle here... we just WANT one, or two, or three...
 
It's a "proper bike" (bit hard to explain that one). Has the beauty, fit, finish and ride quality of an Italian bike and is made of quality, long lasting, sturdy parts (not like a plasticy british or other-made parts bin specials).

I think of it like buying quality shoes, or perhaps sunglasses. Yes, they are expensive but I like the fact that after 10 years solid wear, they still look and operate like new. Heck, the shoes maybe even more comfy than when I first bought them. I know my feet or eyes will thank me for it later too, as will my wallet in the long term.

The CB1100 has a similar feel. Or maybe I've been in the sun too long.

:)
 
LOL the best argument against ride modes came from my younger brother (who recently bought a new Bonneville T-120 with modes) " I don't need a computer to tell me to slow down in the rain"
 
LOL, but sadly many do need the computer to tell them to slow down.

People are getting more stupid, while AI computers are getting smarter.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
ride4now_imp said:
I find that motorcycles, at least in our developed country's, evoke quite the emotion. Not only from a decision to buy but from a decision to keep. I bought my orig. 2013 because it reminded me so much of the orig CB750, (that I had never owned or even rode for that matter), back in the day. Then, one year later, I traded her in on my 2014 Deluxe because it reminded me even MORE of that orig CB750. I won't sell this bike because it pushes all the buttons I wanted pushed. For me, it's a terrific, middle weight, all around UJM. It can take me almost anywhere I want to go. It's not the best handler, sport bikes are better. It's not the best tourer because its too small, it lacks storage, protection, and has that #%^+ chain which I hate. My Harley is better. It wouldn't make a good Adventure Bike although I know of at least a few people who are trying to prove that it is. My KLR is better. And frankly (I'll get hate mail for this), I don't think the fit/finish is really that good. But that 4 cylinder air cooled engine loves to rev and has a design that belongs in a museum. It has 4 chrome headers and 2 chrome mufflers that love to sparkle, and the way it sounds under way is just too good for ears. It pushes the buttons. I could say similar things about the other bikes in my stable... while they push different buttons, they push MY buttons. I don't think anyone buys a motorcycle in the US, Canada, Austrailia, France, Great Britain, or in any other developed county in the world for any reason outside of emotion. No one NEEDS a motorcycle here... we just WANT one, or two, or three...
Perhaps your Harley is also air-cooled (as most are)? Ha! Don't get me started on bikes that belong in a museum, you're obviously riding TWO of them. Which is really what it is all about. Ride it.

I enjoy technological developments as much as anyone, but often think, "is this really necessary?" or even "good"? I've got tons of features on my phone that I'll never, ever use. Even more on my computer (and I'm a computer professional) and so on. Given the choice - I'd buy products WITHOUT the extra features (which is one of the attractions of the CB1100). But there were / are some things I'd rather have then the 'old' (like good brakes, my old CB750 stopped like a train).

Yet they just keep adding more junk to our fun... I honestly fail to see the point (beyond their profit motives of course and safety improvements).

I fitted the so-called 'missing pieces' I think I need to my CB1100 - and my DR650, making them even better. I'm glad somebody made these parts, and the profits that went with them, but I really never "needed" any of them. I just wanted them. So as Cormanus pointed out - we're grateful (appreciative?), but there are downsides to all of this.
 
ride4now_imp said:
I pose this question because every now and then I read that someone is selling his CB and moving on... there's been more than a few of late and that's sad to me. Most seem to be just wanting to try something new... and that's fine. But this bike is so special to me (even though I currently don't ride it much) that I don't think I could bear to part with it. So that's really my question. I had this discussion, briefly, with Motogeezer a few weeks ago on FB when he announced he was selling his. He doesn't get emotionally attached to his machines and periodically moves on to something new. Is anyone else like that? Or are you like me... when you find something you like, you KEEP it. I have a 23 year old boat, of my 3 cars, one is 11 years old, of my 3 bikes, one is 12 and the other one is 7 years old. And I have only had one wife... 40 years now. Oh, maybe I shouldn't have brought that up... LOL. So, is the CB a keeper for you? Or not? And if not, what would you trade it for?
I bought this bike mostly to take my wife for an occasional ride, but that is not happening much. Also ride a BMW/RT, which is very good on longer rides with great fairing etc., thinking that because I don't ride it as much as I thought I would, selling maybe smart. Maintaining 2 bikes is also more than I want to continue too much longer. I do think this is a very nice bike and handles like a dream, with great looks too--get lots of compliments.Schuyler
 
It may be a keeper, if I can bond with the bike after improving the front and rear suspension ..... my CB + my 160 pounds = a rough ride on our secondary roads.

If it isn't a keeper, well, that won't be the end of the world. I've had other bikes that didn't stick around too long ..... including a couple of BMWs out of several that did stick around ... an ST 1300 that just didn't personally work for me.

I don't view it as a moral failing if I cannot bond with a particular motorcycle. It has happened before.

Bob
 
I also get sad when someone leaves a forum because they are no longer going to have the bike. Don't know why, but it causes an odd melancholy. Good news is, there are new 2014's being sold for cheap all over the place, so we will have new members pretty soon with any luck.
 
I am down to just one bike and both my doctors have told me to stop riding , so this will be my last bike and i am so happy with it. I am tempted all the time to buy a stable mate for it but really there is no need.
it has all the power i need and down low with an instant torque curve.

I also never get tired of everyone telling me they use to have one just like it back when they were young :thumbsup:
 
Use2B- why are your doctors telling you to stop riding?

Granted I am only in my mid-40's, but I can only imagine once your eyesight, attention, or reflexes go....
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Use2B- why are your doctors telling you to stop riding?

Granted I am only in my mid-40's, but I can only imagine once your eyesight, attention, or reflexes go....
eyesight, attention, and reflexes are great , outstanding actually 20/20 with lasik. problem is congestive heart failure , enlarged heart with AFIB and bad valve , sleep apnea really bad and fall asleep instantly throughout the day while on max blood thinner. I just pull over and go to sleep many times wherever i am. so each little ride to the store and back feels great to me and about 50 miles is max
 
Ugg that's pretty serious use2be. Hope every day is a good one for zyou and that you arrive home safe and sound.
 
I would like to never sell my CB1100, but if I can't get the high/low idle and stalling issue resolved I will not keep it. I still have my 1976 CB750F (original owner), and four other motorcycles, but my all time favorite is my 1998 VFR800, which I will never sell. This bike has over 105,000 miles on it now. I am the original owner of my 1981 Diesel Rabbit (387,000 miles), and my 1991 Toyota pick-up (205,000 miles), and I have no intention of ever selling either of these, unless they either get wrecked, or need replacement parts to keep them running that I am unable to buy.
 
Yikes, use2b. Stay well and ride on.

Dave: we all hope you solve your idle problem. Heaven knows you've worked long, hard and patiently on it. I'm full of admiration, and for max, peterbaron, sportsterdoc and popgun who have hung in there with you.
 
I purchased my 2017 CB1100EX brand new 6 weeks ago today. When I parked it in the garage this afternoon it had 3453 miles on it, so I've spent some time with it. I think the quality of the bike is first rate, and the fit and finish is better than any bike I have ever owned. It's great looking and runs great and handles great. It looks like a proper motorcycle should look like, as they did when I started riding in the early '70s.

But I haven't bonded with the CB1100 yet. Maybe because the last two bikes I've had (a Kawasaki W650 and a Moto Guzzi V7) were narrow and light. Neither of those bikes were as smooth or comfortable as the CB1100, but there is something about them that was satisfying to ride on the two lane county roads I spend most of my time on.

I'm starting to think about selling the CB before I get too many more miles on it. I didn't expect to feel this way about it when I purchased it. I know I'll probably take a big hit if I do sell it.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Use2B- why are your doctors telling you to stop riding?

Granted I am only in my mid-40's, but I can only imagine once your eyesight, attention, or reflexes go....
PD, today I turned 67. I have spinal and cervical stenosis. My cardiologist says my normal 42 bpm are a concern as it has occasionally dropped below 30. Three weeks ago I had a tumor removed from a kidney, that left me grounded for a while. There are lots of reasons why doctors advise against riding motorcycles. Most are not riders themselves and don't understand the attraction that we feel. "Vision and reflexes" are serious concerns but not always the deal breaker. Enjoy your 40s well. You never know what challenges your future may hold.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
That’s all depressing as hell.

Use2B- I’m no doctor, but what do you have to loose? ;)

I’d say try a daily couple snorts of nasocort up both nostrils combined with 24h Claritin-d pills.

Reason? Sounds like you have a blood flow issue, therefor an oxygen issue.

Anything you can do to increase blood o2% should decrease negative effects - meaning you may have less blood flow at times, but if that lower volume of fluid has higher % of air...

Again, not a doctor but what does it hurt to try?

I have a deviated septum which causes issues with my right ear tube, clogging, pain. So I’ve been doing the same thing I advised above and not only has it helped but also my wife has said my snoring stopped.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
i think my blue darling will stay until my healt will say its end of riding.

..and as first will go the goldwing as next later i dont know realy ...the yellow bee or the vultus....maybe as first the yellow CB bcos the vultus is that much low and not that heavy (center of gravity deeper) and with the backrest just a rolling deck chair and with automated transmission...
 
Is it time for thinking about selling a bike? No. I hope there are many more years to come for happy motorbike riding. But if I can't afford it anymore the way I do it now tribute to which circumstances whatever I don't know yet, I'll most likely keep the W800, for me all a motorbiker needs.
Do I keep the CB or instead the Enfield as the only bike 'til the end of riding? Perhaps, it depends on which of my bikes behaves most well all the time and is the less worn out one at the time of decision.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top