Is there something wrong?

Kulukoy123_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Lurker for almost 4 yrs now, thinking of jumping in, upgrading my from a cb500f, always gets new but this one I have to go used, I'm so in love with this bike:heart: waiting patiently for a good one but most cb1100 in the market/ CL have dark exhaust close to the engine, is this normal?
 
Yes that’s normal for the 4 into 1 headers. They are stainless steel but only single wall so they will discolor from heat. They can be polished to remove the color but it will have to be done periodically if you want to maintain a polished look. Quite normal though. Just look for rust though. There shouldn’t be any.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the deluxe models with the 4 into 2 exhausts are double wall and retain the polish longer. Someone with a deluxe can confirm but I believe that’s the case.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for choosing the Forum Kulukoy123 and welcome. Unfortunately, chync speaks truth on this matter. Some Forum members get past the brown and leave it brown. Others want the shine back. But undeniably, when not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
chync is right about the DLX exhaust being double walled. It doesn't discolour like the 4 into 1.
 
Kulukoy123_imp said:
Lurker for almost 4 yrs now, thinking of jumping in, upgrading my from a cb500f, always gets new but this one I have to go used, I'm so in love with this bike:heart: waiting patiently for a good one but most cb1100 in the market/ CL have dark exhaust close to the engine, is this normal?
If you find a CB1100 you want and it has the "dark exhaust", I think I wouldn't hesitate to go forward with purchase.

Optiglanz makes fairly quick work of it and seems to last fairly long. But read this thread, which gives some tips on application and also mentions a few more possibilities.

CLICK THIS to go to one of several threads on cleaning the headers.
 
I have not seen one that dark, my bikes, my Griso turned light tan, looks like that was run pretty darn hot.

But like the others have said, it's a nature of the beast; my take is to embrace it; otherwise it could drive you around the bend. :)

My Griso was Tenni Green so the tan went with that color really nice - a big help.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I have not seen one that dark, my bikes, my Griso turned light tan, looks like that was run pretty darn hot.

But like the others have said, it's a nature of the beast; my take is to embrace it; otherwise it could drive you around the bend. :)

My Griso was Tenni Green so the tan went with that color really nice - a big help.
Mine (2012 Tenni Green, aged out at 10k miles to a beautiful gold color. Maybe I didn't run my Griso hard enough!

Bob
 
Shoot those are nothing compared to Cormanus's pipes
 
Bright and shining indeed.
 
I'm anal retentive. I spent an hour after purchase of my 1800 mile '13 to bring the pipes back to perfect with Blue Magic polish (Walmart, Amazon). They get a gold tone within the first few rides. Every two weeks during my inspection/detail wipe down, 15 minutes of polishing brings them back. Do the hard work once, and keeping them shiny is easy if you want it and don't mind keeping up with it.
 
As others have said, the Deluxe, EX, and RS all have chromed double wall headers that are very heat discoloration resistant. Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, that can be found at many auto parts stores, is very reasonably priced and is very effective at shining stainless headers back to original look. If you dont want to mess with periodic shining up of your headers, and are willing to spend a little more money, investigate Jet Hot Ceramic Header & Exhaust Coating | Jet-Hot . Jet Hot, and other brand names, is a metallic ceramic coating applied to the headers. It would require you to dismount your exhaust, take just the header portion to whoever you have chosen to do the application, and leave it with them for a week or so. Probably best considered as an off riding season winter project, if this coating appeals to you.
 
Back
Top