Is there a sense of humor on this forum?

I think this forum is way above average in the enjoyability and common sense factors. If you want to see an example of a sad, very restrictive forum where only a handful of members are allowed to speak their minds and everyone else, "the outsiders" are berated constantly by the forum owner, and banned at will, go join the Honda NT forum.
 
I guess I am lost, I find humor here all the time - how about Rboe
crack in the 2015 CB1100 thread - had me smiling all day -
Don't have time to write more, have get out there to adjust the
heflester vortex bolt on the CB1100
 
Honestly Guth and I are really laid back, easy going guys. We moderate very lightly, delete only when asked to by the OP, or feel it's for better for the majority. I suppose since I am retired and have no life that I do most of the deleting/moderating, but for the most part I don't have to do much as you guys and gals are pretty good at moderating your own comments. Guth and I appreciate that.

We have no written rules, but have a play nice general policy, no brand bashing, no name calling, no foul language. This is a family friendly website dedicated to the CB1100 in particular and motorcycling in general. It's not the place to discuss politics or religion.

We get very few complaints about how this forum is handled and we get a lot of compliments, so we must be doing something right. Its pleases up to read how many members enjoy this forum due to the general nature of the forum.

Someone above said something about how many people post vs total number of members and actually from what I have seen being on forums for the last 15 years, we have a very strong group of posters here. Very dedicated individuals who come here every day, read, and feel comfortable posting. We also have a very large group who come here and read everyday, but for some reason would rather stay in the background and not post. That's ok too. Participation is entirely voluntary.

As far as losing old members, Not long ago a small group was unhappy with how this forum was moderated and voluntarily left to go to another forum where they felt they could say whatever they wanted. I am also a member of that forum and had been before this group decided to join. I expected things there to change a lot, with some outrageous postings over there but there has been nothing said over there that I would delete here. Instead of becoming a giant boys bar room playground they are down to about 3 or 4 regular posters and 1 active thread with 2 or 3 posts daily as far as I can tell, and the "ring leader" who was so vocal and posted deragatory things about this website and me in particular, still reads this forum daily and posts here occassionally. As far as I am concerned they are welcome here any time as long as they abide by the demeanor and spirit of the forum. On a personal note, I was dissapointed in how I was disrepected, mis-quoted and portrayed as showing favoritism by some members of that group, ( and it's still happening over there, I just read it again last night), but that has nothing to do with this forum. People can say anything they want about me personally (on another forum) it's not going to affect how I moderate this forum.

I guess you could say a forum is a reflection of not only the administration and the moderators, but a refection of the members as well, and for the most part this foum shows a high amount of consideration, respect and restraint on all counts. Proud be be a forum member here. Hope you are too.
 
I have nothing but respect for everyone here and how its run. Always have. Quality is a representation of all the components working together properly and consistently, just like our bikes, and this site does it well.

Well said Ferret!
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
I have nothing but respect for everyone here and how its run. Always have. Quality is a representation of all the components working together properly and consistently, just like our bikes, and this site does it well.

Well said Ferret!
And a Well Said- MFG!
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
I have nothing but respect for everyone here and how its run. Always have. Quality is a representation of all the components working together properly and consistently, just like our bikes, and this site does it well.

Well said Ferret!
And well said MFGUSA :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ferret was also very eloquent in his remarks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I guess I missed the H-D thing, or whatever it was, so I'm arriving late to the party.
As has already been said, this is a very polite and civil forum and I am proud to be a member of it - and this is the way I want it to stay.
I've had quite a few laughs at some of the comments in various threads, and don't recall anything that soured me even a little, so I think a sense humor is alive and well here.
If we keep on doing what we're doing; respecting others and their views, we should all get along very well.
Nobody enjoys a laugh or a chuckle any more than I do.
 
It's all good. I find myself re-typing e-mail's at work because they look offensive when I was only trying to get a point across.

My wife had a time when we first met getting use to my sense of humor, she said I always had a serious look on my face even when I was joking.
Lets move past this and go riding, it's a beautiful day here in NC :banana:
 
OK, so to answer the OP question, yes we do have a sense of humor, we are all very funny.....
what would be funny, and to show our sense of humor....is to lock this thread....now that's funny...and maybe one reason I am not a moderator.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
OK, so to answer the OP question, yes we do have a sense of humor, we are all very funny.....
what would be funny, and to show our sense of humor....is to lock this thread....now that's funny...and maybe one reason I am not a moderator.
That's not funny....
 
Well, being the OP of the HD thread in question here, I just saw this and thought I'd chime in and clear things up...

I PM-ed Ferret and suggested locking the thread down. This wasn't a heavy-handed moderator action on his part - it was my thread and I approached him about it. It had gotten far off the path I had intended it to, and I didn't want it to become a thorn in his side as it snow-balled and was beginning to take its own bashing/flaming path. The guy's got enough to do without creating additional, unnecessary work for him.
I started the subject because I really was amazed that a large faction of the motorcycle community (Harley riders) has suddenly acknowledged me on the road on the CB after probably 30 years of being ignored - when almost no other type of riders ever have - and was wondering if others were experiencing the same thing. It was truly not meant to be a statement about Harley riders in any way, but a statement about MY experience on this bike. I guess I was too naive about bringing the subject up; I really thought I'd made my point pretty clear, but obviously not...so, as I said, I chose to "nip it in the bud" before it became any more vitriolic. Whether or not anyone was serious, or just having fun, most of the responses had nothing to do with what I was actually asking.
To those wondering about our collective sense of humor, I can only say that I'm far from a stoic, conservative type when it comes to humor, so cracking jokes is the last thing that'll insult or annoy me. Unfortunately, after years on online forums, I've learned that things you say aren't always taken/perceived/understood in the way you meant them (something about the lack of inflection in the written vs. spoken word, I think), and I've massively reeled in my personality online. Regardless, I felt that my thread wasn't going where I'd planned it to, and decided to have it yanked before it became a nasty black, smeary mark. My apologies if anyone misunderstood or was upset about it - but please don't blame our illustrious Mr. Ferret.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled fun, stupidity and douchebaggery! :D
 
Hello! :). I think ferret was talking about me about being on the other forum. And still coming by here time to time but I don't post much on here any more! There is about 80 threads I have not read so I missed the HD that Houtman posted in! Ferret I don't mind at all if you call me by name rather than saying a member from here and the other forum. I'm a member of 6 bike forums I did post lots on here and met a lot of guy guys & gals. But I have never seen as many threads locked up, post deleted etc. Heck we all grown men and ride bikes! Bikes are known for freedom! I joined just a few months ago and I have seen more members leave than any other forum! New member will always be joining but it will always be the same and most will move on! If I see some one that I can help from a post I just send them a PM and try to help them! Just like I helped you with your gaiters complete walk thru. But that's what a forum is for. Again it's your forum & Guths so it's fair to me that y'all can run it any way y'all like. :). All is good with me, just say next time say ridem when your talking about me I don't mind at all. :). I'm sure the member list is over 1,200 by now and this forum has about 30 posters 15 which are less than 2 month old members! Wish this forum & members all the best. Anyone ever needs any help just holler I will do what I can to help out! There is lots & lots that I don't know but I will do what I can to help. Great thread I don't see no reason to close it but that's up to ferret and Guth. And if it gets closed oh well just put it in file B with all the other lockers :). Also lawmen encourage riders to carry guns now days due to high crime. Mississippi has a open carry law. No permit needed. Ride free if anyone comes thru Mississippi :). Hope to see some of y'all at the dragon double grin :) :)
Michael
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Well, being the OP of the HD thread in question here, I just saw this and thought I'd chime in and clear things up...

I PM-ed Ferret and suggested locking the thread down. This wasn't a heavy-handed moderator action on his part - it was my thread and I approached him about it. It had gotten far off the path I had intended it to, and I didn't want it to become a thorn in his side as it snow-balled and was beginning to take its own bashing/flaming path. The guy's got enough to do without creating additional, unnecessary work for him.
I started the subject because I really was amazed that a large faction of the motorcycle community (Harley riders) has suddenly acknowledged me on the road on the CB after probably 30 years of being ignored - when almost no other type of riders ever have - and was wondering if others were experiencing the same thing. It was truly not meant to be a statement about Harley riders in any way, but a statement about MY experience on this bike. I guess I was too naive about bringing the subject up; I really thought I'd made my point pretty clear, but obviously not...so, as I said, I chose to "nip it in the bud" before it became any more vitriolic. Whether or not anyone was serious, or just having fun, most of the responses had nothing to do with what I was actually asking.
To those wondering about our collective sense of humor, I can only say that I'm far from a stoic, conservative type when it comes to humor, so cracking jokes is the last thing that'll insult or annoy me. Unfortunately, after years on online forums, I've learned that things you say aren't always taken/perceived/understood in the way you meant them (something about the lack of inflection in the written vs. spoken word, I think), and I've massively reeled in my personality online. Regardless, I felt that my thread wasn't going where I'd planned it to, and decided to have it yanked before it became a nasty black, smeary mark. My apologies if anyone misunderstood or was upset about it - but please don't blame our illustrious Mr. Ferret.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled fun, stupidity and douchebaggery! :D
That's all well and good, but people get involved in the topic, and then it's no longer yours, it's everybody's. Also, I believe the thread was deleted, rather than locked.

To the moderators: deleting threads/posts is a very good way to alienate your forum participants. If I may offer a word of advice cultured over 30+ years of online social interaction: try real hard to lock the thread with a final post indicating _why_ it's getting locked, rather than deleting it. And also try hard not to lock threads unless they really get absurd (usually with a warning posted within the thread first) -- I think this latter part you guys already handle decently well.

My $.02. Take it for what it's worth.
 
Bob, yes I deleted the thread because of several derogatory remarks, obvious band bashing and some obscenity laden name calling in the last post right before I deleted it. I started to edit out the obscenity, then just decided to go ahead and delete the whole thread. There was little of substance or value in the thread for it to remain in the archives. Why burn up valuable band width saving it?

The difference between locking something down and deleting it is inconsequential. With the rate that posts show up on this forum you are talking about 12 hours at the most before it disappears from the front pages and into the archives while locked up. Personally I've never understood the value of keeping something in the system that was unworthy of being kept open. Please explain the value of keeping it while locked and I may change my mind. Feel free to pm me.

I wont single out anyone by name that I have to edit, delete, reprimand, or who reports a thread or post, or asks that I modify or delete their post or thread. Once I make a decision and take a moderator action then all the responsibility for that action is on my head. This will not turn into a he said/she said thing, it's a Ferret decided thing. So if you are unhappy about a thread/post getting edited or deleted, feel free to pm me, and we can discuss it, or is often the case, I will pm you to let you know why I did what I did. As a moderator every decision thrills one person and alienates another. That's how the game goes. If you ever figure out a way to make everyone happy, please pass that info to me post haste. Would love to hear it.
 
I want a T- shirt that says 'CB1100 Forum' on the front. And 'It's a Ferret Decided Thing' on the back. That would be awesome.
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Well, being the OP of the HD thread in question here, I just saw this and thought I'd chime in and clear things up...

I PM-ed Ferret and suggested locking the thread down. This wasn't a heavy-handed moderator action on his part - it was my thread and I approached him about it. It had gotten far off the path I had intended it to, and I didn't want it to become a thorn in his side as it snow-balled and was beginning to take its own bashing/flaming path. The guy's got enough to do without creating additional, unnecessary work for him.
I started the subject because I really was amazed that a large faction of the motorcycle community (Harley riders) has suddenly acknowledged me on the road on the CB after probably 30 years of being ignored - when almost no other type of riders ever have - and was wondering if others were experiencing the same thing. It was truly not meant to be a statement about Harley riders in any way, but a statement about MY experience on this bike. I guess I was too naive about bringing the subject up; I really thought I'd made my point pretty clear, but obviously not...so, as I said, I chose to "nip it in the bud" before it became any more vitriolic. Whether or not anyone was serious, or just having fun, most of the responses had nothing to do with what I was actually asking.
To those wondering about our collective sense of humor, I can only say that I'm far from a stoic, conservative type when it comes to humor, so cracking jokes is the last thing that'll insult or annoy me. Unfortunately, after years on online forums, I've learned that things you say aren't always taken/perceived/understood in the way you meant them (something about the lack of inflection in the written vs. spoken word, I think), and I've massively reeled in my personality online. Regardless, I felt that my thread wasn't going where I'd planned it to, and decided to have it yanked before it became a nasty black, smeary mark. My apologies if anyone misunderstood or was upset about it - but please don't blame our illustrious Mr. Ferret.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled fun, stupidity and douchebaggery! :D
That's all well and good, but people get involved in the topic, and then it's no longer yours, it's everybody's. Also, I believe the thread was deleted, rather than locked.

To the moderators: deleting threads/posts is a very good way to alienate your forum participants. If I may offer a word of advice cultured over 30+ years of online social interaction: try real hard to lock the thread with a final post indicating _why_ it's getting locked, rather than deleting it. And also try hard not to lock threads unless they really get absurd (usually with a warning posted within the thread first) -- I think this latter part you guys already handle decently well.

My $.02. Take it for what it's worth.
That's all well and good, but people get involved in the topic, and then it's no longer yours, it's everybody's. Also, I believe the thread was deleted, rather than locked.

To the moderators: deleting threads/posts is a very good way to alienate your forum participants. If I may offer a word of advice cultured over 30+ years of online social interaction: try real hard to lock the thread with a final post indicating _why_ it's getting locked, rather than deleting it. And also try hard not to lock threads unless they really get absurd (usually with a warning posted within the thread first) -- I think this latter part you guys already handle decently well.

My $.02. Take it for what it's worth. + one !!!
 
"sense of HUMMUS" get it?!? cuz, ya know, hummus is from chickpeas and also it sounds kind of like "humor"?? That's why it's funny. (I always find that the explained joke is a funnier joke)
 
Back
Top