Is there a sense of humor on this forum?

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I made an innocent JOKE about a Harley owner, some one was offended I think and the tread was shut down.
It is nice to have a civil forum but are we becoming to sensitive to a joke ?
We already have lost a lot of the "old timers" who are no longer posting.
Most of us are older but not dead yet, life is for living and we have to be careful that this forum is not just for people with no sense of humor.
I know that on most forums it is just a handful of the members posting treads, hopefully here we have a larger group of posters.
Any comments from other members ?
 
I missed your post. This is a good group here. But I always try to avoid brand bashing, politics and religion
 
I'd rather see comments made in jest rather than some of the cuss advice sometimes given by a few know-nothing-know-it-alls. Those who pretend to know everything are very annoying to those of us that actually do.
 
Sounds like you lost your sense of humor when the thread was shut down...I on the other hand am still laughing.....see?
HD threads always get shut down sooner or later, doubt it was your single joke.
Why are people so offended when a post gets shut down, big deal, live and learn, move on, try again. something is bound to stick.
 
Humor is sometimes hard to express in writing....I know this from bitter experience. It seems like someone will always be offended unless the post is completely bland. This is a great forum and i would hope that if we tease a little or poke a little fun that it's not taken as a personal attack. Houtman, I think your mistake was you forgot how insecure HD owners are when you compare their product to something like ours. :)
 
I dropped one in there with a hint of sarcasm as well. I chuckled every time I reread it but I suspect my sense of humor may not fit here much. I didn't take the thread as seriously as others evidently and since I posted relatively early I was able to detect that my post did not fit well. None of my posts are intended to hurt anyone. For the comfort of the members of CB1100.com I would expect a PM from Ferret to tone it down if that was the case. Nothing worse than killing a thread by something I said IMO.

For what its worth, I did chuckle at yours.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
I'd rather see comments made in jest rather than some of the cuss advice sometimes given by a few know-nothing-know-it-alls. Those who pretend to know everything are very annoying to those of us that actually do.
Could put this quote on a plaque, priceless.
 
Not sure what happened, I suppose that there are more than a few things that I miss here on the forum while at work.

I can tell you that using the forum search function it is apparent that while a sense of humor can be found here, it's presence is minimal.
 
I find the postings on this forum to be very humorous.

I admit that I do not post very much on forums (as you can see by my post count) but I do enjoy reading the various threads. The humor I find on this forum is like a bunch of close friends ribbing each other and this is what makes this forum one of my favorites to visit.

Houtman, I do admit your joke was funny as it did make me chuckle but I can see where certain individuals could be offended.

BTW, I think the moderators made the right decision in shutting down that thread as the postings were slowly getting out of hand.
 
I laugh at stuff all the time on here and read it to my wife.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
I'd rather see comments made in jest rather than some of the cuss advice sometimes given by a few know-nothing-know-it-alls. Those who pretend to know everything are very annoying to those of us that actually do.
Now that there's a thread on humor, maybe we should have one on irony. ;)
 
I thought it was funny Houtman fwiw. I got a chuckle out of it and I am a former HD owner who does not drink the motor co koolaid. We live in such a polictically correct society today that anything you say could offend anybody. This forum has a right to a right to run things the way they want and I respect that. At the same time, we need to be able to be people with opinions ect. Its a fine line and that is why I would never want to be a moderator.

Go to a HD forum and witness the wars with Victory riders ect.... This will go on till the end of time when we are all gone. I think a fun poke every now and then is funny but that me. Not much surprises me and not much will ever offend me. I just like to ride motorcycles.
 
Regarding humor and this modern world, I refer you to these Immortal words of Richard Pryor, spoken long before there were "Personal Computers" or an "Internet:"

"Girl, get that cross out your p***y and get downstairs to help yo mama with supper."

Wisdom we can all benefit from.
 
A few things noticed on this and other forums:
1. I've noticed threads being deleted in the "For Sale" listings. Why would a listing be deleted on CB1100?
2. Another member of this forum was banned from a Triumph forum and called a "douche bag" by the forum owner and his post was not on politics, sex, religion, or sarcastic. Needless to say I left that forum also as the owner's response was beneath contempt and inappropriate, but it was HIS forum.
3. ADVrider is one of the largest and most popular motorcycle websites. It's populated by many funny, irreverent, knowledgeable folks. Thin skinned or stuffy people would do well to avoid it.
4. Some motorcycle websites have specific places where people can post what they please as long as it's not a personal attack or pornographic.
 
I have left a few forums, and ignore others, due to the toxicity of the banter. Trolls who incite with religion, firearms, politics and deeply insulting posts. And it's not about having thin skin. I just don't need my motorcycle forum to be stressful, or a place to find more people Who despise me because in their not- so- humble opinion, I'm a POS because Of who I voted for. Harley- bashing isn't at that level, but it seems to be a gateway drug to flame wars.

I wouldn't object to an 'Ace Cafe' section on this site for general banter, but I'm pleased with the slightly rigid regulations of the CB forum. Plenty of other places to debate, insult and play culture warrior with people I'll never meet.
 
Remember George Carlin's bit about the 7 dirty words you can't say on TV?

Here's a motorcycle forum red-flag word list: oil, gun, HD, Obama, God, wave, helmet...:D

I have to admit I find some of those forum topics entertaining until someone crosses the line, which usually happens.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Remember George Carlin's bit about the 7 dirty words you can't say on TV?

Here's a motorcycle forum red-flag word list: oil, gun, HD, Obama, God, wave, helmet...:D

I have to admit I find some of those forum topics entertaining until someone crosses the line, which usually happens.
You got me laughing out loud.
From F7Guy, "I just like to ride motorcycles." Amen, brother.
 
I missed it. Well since I'm here. My HD 1200 Roadster reminds me of my John Deere tractor with a nicer color. My twin leading shoe Norton's stopped better than my 3 caliper Sportster. If you ask the dealer about brake upgrades he brings out chrome rotors...But tuning the carb and a belt drive very nice. And on some back roads real nice. And the local parts guys the best. And I use Mobil 1 15w50 in it and I wear a full face helmet.
 
Back
Top