Is the K&N air filter worth the money??

Sfomoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello,
Is the K&N air filter worth the money?? Does it really make a difference in performance, gas millage and sound? I am kind of hesitant because the myth that the oil on the filter can create problems on sensors.

:thanks:
 
See if you can find some independent testing reports on the amount of filtration efficiency and particle size for k&ns, then you decide. I got 91 hp with the stock filter which is right up there with the k&n users...good enough for me.
 
The K&N will help alot but you need a Power Commander and the TSR air funnel to take full advantage of it.
So i guess my answer is no, not by itself.
 
The stock CB1100 has a pretty restricted intake and exhaust. I'm not sure opening up one end without doing the other end will be all that noticeable.

Case in point - simply adding a Staintune didn't seem to boost performance on my bike. If you add a K&N but keep the stock headers and muffler you might not add much either.

But a higher flow exhaust like the Staintune, combined with a TSR air funnel and a K&N really frees up air flow and adds noticable HP.

As ACK said, a PVC is needed once you start messing with the engine in a major way.

If you want more power, use less restrictive headers such as Motogear "cat free" pipes or a complete aftermarket exhaust system. That will take things to the next level. A PVC is absolutely essential at that point.

Forgot to mention that when it gets dry and dusty, I'll put my OEM filter back on. I don't trust the K&N to fully protect the engine in adverse riding conditions.
 
Just my opinion of course, but seems to me that if you are trying to squeeze more power out of this motor you may have bought the wrong bike. The CB1100 is in a relatively mild state of tune, just right for it's intended mission. Something like Kawasaki's Ninja 1000 or Honda's CB1000R would be a better starting point for someone looking for a faster ride. Of course adding the K&N and a high flow exhaust might add some nice sound to the CB's character and that would be reason enough for some folks for the change. Always nice to have a choice.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for the replies and useful info.

Ok, so I will probably buy the Staintune, TSR air funnel, K&N air filter and a PVC.
Do I need to re-map anything on the bike because of the changes? Do you recommend taking the bike to a Honda shop?

Thank you again
redbirds_imp said:
Just my opinion of course, but seems to me that if you are trying to squeeze more power out of this motor you may have bought the wrong bike. The CB1100 is in a relatively mild state of tune, just right for it's intended mission. Something like Kawasaki's Ninja 1000 or Honda's CB1000R would be a better starting point for someone looking for a faster ride. Of course adding the K&N and a high flow exhaust might add some nice sound to the CB's character and that would be reason enough for some folks for the change. Always nice to have a choice.
I use my Street Triple R when I want to have more of an aggressive ride. I am just trying to get my CB to perform better. Thanks for your opinion.
 
Just going to toss my 2, uninformed, cents in. The K&N filter is pretty cheap, lasts a long time with a minimal amount of maintenance (unless you live in a dust bowl), and may or may not improve performance. Why not buy it and see if it makes a difference? I don't see a significant downside.
 
I found it gave a power bump with an unrestricted exhaust, but no difference with the OEM pipe. It isn't gasketed on the ends, so I pulled it and put the Honda filter back on. Side by side the Honda part looks superior to me.
 
I've got a staintune and k&n fitted. I personally haven't really found a great deal of difference between having the k&n fitted as compared to stock. Just the staintune has freed up a nice grunty gurgle, the power on tap is adequate for me. YMMV!
 
I don't have any performance enhancements on my CB11, like a PCV or a pipe. I think it's worth it for the same reason I bought a K&N for my CB750 years ago. The K&N is reusable and costs less than two replacement OEM filters. I clean and re-oil them about every 3-4 months.
 
I bought one for my KX550 years ago and it improved the mileage. For the CB, since it has EFI and other fun computer stuff I'm sticking with factory filter. Besides; all the dirt bikes really frown upon the K&N for dirt bikes because of their poor dust filtering and Phoenix is very very dusty; it's a damn dirty state. YMMV.
 
Maybe this is too simple a solution, but I'd like to see somebody just bench flow the thing and see what it does. So, if the CB needs XXX cubic feet per minute in a state of high tune (new pipe, PCV), then what is the air flow requirement? Does the stock set up give enough flow?

I've see on some threads on oil (yes, I've read some of the dreaded oil threads) where people back up their oil preferences with actual used oil analysis. Back when I was a kid, I remember reading in magazines that the racer types would do a lot of flow analysis on cylinder heads and manifolds. So, I imagine someone has done this on K&N filters.

I do remember seeing one comment from calsci (again, from an oil analysis thread) where the guy said that your wasting your money on air filters. Most all of them, supposedly, flow way more air than you will need.
 
I've had a K&N or an Airaid in every car or truck I've owned since 2000 as well as every street bike. Never had a single problem, and enjoyed the increased sound from the intake on every vehicle. They last virtually forever if you clean them correctly. My 1988 4Runner notched 238,000 miles on the odometer before I sold it using a K&N. They do, in fact, breathe better because if you've got a bike with a carb instead of fuel injection, you need to rejet much richer when you make the switch, especially if coupled with a non-restrictive exhaust. For me, they are totally worth the $$.

Places that change the oil for your cars don't like them cause they can't play the "you need a new air filter" trick every other oil change.
 
Unless you have characterized the stock air filter with a manometer, you really can't do more than speculate as to the restriction. This doesn't require costly equipment.

FWIW, Cummins once had a note on their European web page indicating NOT to use KnN filters due to poor filtering performance. While they are not EXACTLY the same, OEMs used to use oil wetted metal gauze for their air filters. A GM powertrain engineer told me that poor air filtering was one of the main reasons why 1950s engines had such short engine life. Caveat emptor.
 
Dakota_imp said:
Unless you have characterized the stock air filter with a manometer, you really can't do more than speculate as to the restriction. This doesn't require costly equipment.

FWIW, Cummins once had a note on their European web page indicating NOT to use KnN filters due to poor filtering performance. While they are not EXACTLY the same, OEMs used to use oil wetted metal gauze for their air filters. A GM powertrain engineer told me that poor air filtering was one of the main reasons why 1950s engines had such short engine life. Caveat emptor.
while I agree that you can't do any kind of quantitative analysis without the proper equipment, it is pretty easy to draw a conclusion. For the most part, filtration efficiency and flow rates have an inversely proportional relationship. I'd argue that K&N filters probably flow higher rates that just about any other filter on the market. While on a well worn relatively loose tolerance high mileage car/truck motor, the extra filtration may not be necessary, but I'm guessing (literally, I don't have any tolerance specs at hand) that the clearances on most motorcycle motors is much tighter. But at the same time, if it's a well worn loose tolerance street motor, why do you need incrementally more airflow? More air in means that you need more fuel in as well. Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate to more power.

I'd also wager that if you took multiple identical motors, half with oiled filter media and the other half with paper filter media, and ran them side by side over the life expectancy of the motor that the UOAs would bear much higher wear metal concentrations in the oiled filter media motors. My gut tells me that on motors with lower wear tolerance, that the difference in lifespan would be significant. On motors with higher wear tolerances (such as the aforementioned 4-runner) that this difference would probably never come to light.

Although the application doesn't come close to applying here, this is a pretty good quantitative analysis of several different filters:

Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better
 
I've used K&N filters in several different vehicles, from a Ford V10 RV chassis to a Toyota Yaris. With the Ford, I noticed an immediate performance and gas mileage improvement, around 10 percent. Not so much with the Yaris, but with the large-displacement engine one would expect a more noticeable increase.

I just did an ECU reflash on another bike I have, along with a K&N filter, and the difference was astonishing. Fuel mileage is about the same but far more power everywhere. Most of that is due to the reflash which changes ignition timing as well as the fuel mapping but some is due to the increased airflow. The K&N was factored into the reflash.

K&N is pretty militant and aggressive about asserting that its products meet or exceed all OEM specifications and they have decades of research and data to prove it. I have confidence in their products and have good results with the performance enhancements, as well.

I am not much for loud pipes any more; with an ECU reflash and high-flow air filter such as the K&N, retaining the stock exhaust, BIG power and driveability gains are really just a few computer clicks away for many vehicles, cars and bikes alike. I have had so many loud noisy bikes I can't recall them all; I'm lucky I never got a citation, especially for my ear-splitting Harley.

Why not use the ECU as the way to get big power and driveability gains, keep the bike quiet and civil, and have a nice clean exhaust emissions into the bargain? Makes sense to me.
 
One of the critical seat of the pants mistakes that people always make is comparing performance and mileage on a brand new filter vs a dirty old filter. The subsequent improvements are often byproducts of an engine running more efficiently because of a fresh filter, which leads to needing to use less throttle, and that turns into MPG improvements.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
I've used K&N filters in several different vehicles, from a Ford V10 RV chassis to a Toyota Yaris. With the Ford, I noticed an immediate performance and gas mileage improvement, around 10 percent. Not so much with the Yaris, but with the large-displacement engine one would expect a more noticeable increase.

I just did an ECU reflash on another bike I have, along with a K&N filter, and the difference was astonishing. Fuel mileage is about the same but far more power everywhere. Most of that is due to the reflash which changes ignition timing as well as the fuel mapping but some is due to the increased airflow. The K&N was factored into the reflash.

K&N is pretty militant and aggressive about asserting that its products meet or exceed all OEM specifications and they have decades of research and data to prove it. I have confidence in their products and have good results with the performance enhancements, as well.

I am not much for loud pipes any more; with an ECU reflash and high-flow air filter such as the K&N, retaining the stock exhaust, BIG power and driveability gains are really just a few computer clicks away for many vehicles, cars and bikes alike. I have had so many loud noisy bikes I can't recall them all; I'm lucky I never got a citation, especially for my ear-splitting Harley.

Why not use the ECU as the way to get big power and driveability gains, keep the bike quiet and civil, and have a nice clean exhaust emissions into the bargain? Makes sense to me.
Sounds great. Please report on how flashing the cb1100 ecu works for you.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Red Mist_imp said:
I've used K&N filters in several different vehicles, from a Ford V10 RV chassis to a Toyota Yaris. With the Ford, I noticed an immediate performance and gas mileage improvement, around 10 percent. Not so much with the Yaris, but with the large-displacement engine one would expect a more noticeable increase.

I just did an ECU reflash on another bike I have, along with a K&N filter, and the difference was astonishing. Fuel mileage is about the same but far more power everywhere. Most of that is due to the reflash which changes ignition timing as well as the fuel mapping but some is due to the increased airflow. The K&N was factored into the reflash.

K&N is pretty militant and aggressive about asserting that its products meet or exceed all OEM specifications and they have decades of research and data to prove it. I have confidence in their products and have good results with the performance enhancements, as well.

I am not much for loud pipes any more; with an ECU reflash and high-flow air filter such as the K&N, retaining the stock exhaust, BIG power and driveability gains are really just a few computer clicks away for many vehicles, cars and bikes alike. I have had so many loud noisy bikes I can't recall them all; I'm lucky I never got a citation, especially for my ear-splitting Harley.

Why not use the ECU as the way to get big power and driveability gains, keep the bike quiet and civil, and have a nice clean exhaust emissions into the bargain? Makes sense to me.
Sounds great. Please report on how flashing the cb1100 ecu works for you.
Sounds great. Please report on how flashing the cb1100 ecu works for you. Like to do that, unfortunately I don't think anyone's got one worked up yet. Somebody has to be the "lab rat" and provide a bike for a few days. I used Guhl Motors for my Yamaha, they have a great reputation, but their bike ECU reflashes are limited to a few models.

I would have to know what changes to expect; frankly I'm very happy with the way my CB1100 runs now so I doubt I'd do anything to it.

Someone will get around to it eventually, though.

BTW that Street Triple R is a great bike, they did it right.
 
I use K&N air and oil filters on everything. I like the idea of the K&N air filter over paper or foam, seems to be a better filtration medium to me.

I stock up when an Ebay seller has a sale.
 
Back
Top