Another Failed K&N Oil Filter

andyferd_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So the past few months I noticed some smoke coming from my exhaust during rides, and I always attributed it to some road grime, tar, or rubber burning off. I never thought too much of it. But just this afternoon as I was letting the bike warm up, I saw the smoke and kneeled down to check one more time. This time I noticed drops of oil on the oil pan and on the exhaust. After further inspection I saw that oil was coming from the welded nut on the K&N 204-1 oil filter. I called my local mechanic to buy a new filter and a quart of oil to install. To be honest, I took the chance installing the K&N even though I knew of the potential failures that I've heard around here. Luckily, nothing horrible happened! This is just another reminder to never use the K&N 204-1.
 
Houtman_imp said:
WHY did you take the risk ???
574d955621e46c6df53dace518a803b2.png
9e187e6f6410a24bcd2d4bc8436cbed5.png
af117ef44b56303264e3b4aba25127cf.png
we were just talking about this yesterday weren't we?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Lucky lucky lucky...could have been disastrous
 
I do like a good escape story. :D:
 
I am always amazed at the force people use to put an oil filter on on YouTube videos. An oil filter really doesn't require a nut on the front but if excessive force wasn't used to tighten it up in the first place I doubt the failure would of happened at all. Still, it is obviously a flawed design. Thank god you had the nouse to realise something was up.
 
From what I gather on YouTube, the K&N filter is the worst of the lot; poorly made with substandard materials. How it came to be regarded as top-of-the line is beyond me.
 
A change in their supplier, from what I was told. I've been to their factory here in California where they make the air filters, but the oil filters are sourced.
 
They really say that? :P

Dang, their graphics department should have caught that.

I bought an office chair at Walmart recently, and on the box artwork, there was a panel that contained the words "Insert Spanish Translated Text Here".

And I just received a delivery of "No Pakring" signs for our event business.
 
LOL I spent the last 24 1/2 years of working in the highway Traffic safety Business. We made lots of traffic signs. I have seen some horrible spelling errors. I caught most before they left the shop, but every once in awhile I'd go into a customers office and see a sign they just received with a spelling error in it. I'd just pick it up and bring it back to the shop for repair or replacement.

I've seen street departments using big stencils to paint on the highway and paint SHCOOL on the street in front of a school in 6' high letters.

Too cool for shcool

and STPO for STOP

https://local12.com/news/offbeat/misspelled-stop-sign-stops-neighbors-in-their-tracks
 
pekingduck_imp said:
We don't need no edjucashun.
...and we don't need no thought control!
I get a huge kick out of all of this. I've spent the last 30 years as a technical writer in the aerospace/aviation biz and I've seen some doozies! None of them done by me, of course. Someone should invent a spell checker you can plug into your brain. Hmmm, maybe...
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
We don't need no edjucashun.
...and we don't need no thought control!
I get a huge kick out of all of this. I've spent the last 30 years as a technical writer in the aerospace/aviation biz and I've seen some doozies! None of them done by me, of course. Someone should invent a spell checker you can plug into your brain. Hmmm, maybe...
Some people have them. They're called proof readers.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
We don't need no edjucashun.
...and we don't need no thought control!
I get a huge kick out of all of this. I've spent the last 30 years as a technical writer in the aerospace/aviation biz and I've seen some doozies! None of them done by me, of course. Someone should invent a spell checker you can plug into your brain. Hmmm, maybe...
Some people have them. They're called proof readers.
Some people have them. They're called proof readers.
And some other people don't have anything to plug it into...
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
We don't need no edjucashun.
...and we don't need no thought control!
I get a huge kick out of all of this. I've spent the last 30 years as a technical writer in the aerospace/aviation biz and I've seen some doozies! None of them done by me, of course. Someone should invent a spell checker you can plug into your brain. Hmmm, maybe...
Some people have them. They're called proof readers.
Some people have them. They're called proof readers.
And some other people don't have anything to plug it into...
Some people have them. They're called proof readers.
And some other people don't have anything to plug it into...
:rofl: I think I'm getting there
 
Back
Top