Is Synthetic really worth it?

PJV_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Say, I change my oil every 2,000 miles is it worth the price for syn!! Lets hear it!!!!! On all my bikes I never have but I never had an Air Cooled bike.
 
My first question is why are you changing it that often? Honestly unless you only drive it 2000 miles a year and you change it at the start of the season, you're wasting money.
And yes it's absolutely worth it. It has MUCH better lubrication properties and film strength as well as doesn't break down under high heat loads.
 
If you have to ask, probably not. Provided you change your oil regularly like religion. Some of us believe in syn and synthetic blends and can afford to do so.

If you take good care of your bike and change your oil every 2000 miles or less with recommended oil you are good to go.

Now that said, oil threads on the Internet are famous for being pissing matches, measuring up with politics, religion and what sort of pan is best for frying chicken in. So I'll suggest you quietly make a choice and try it your self; but it's going to be a long term experiment. I changed oil & filter like clock work on my KZ550 and at 25,000 miles she still had 190+ in each cylinder. Typical was 150psi at 10,000 miles; and folks did not change their oil that often at all. Proof enough for me to change oil. Perhaps not so much on choice of oil. Good luck!
 
Really? People argue about which pan is best for frying chicken? Wish my mom were still alive..she made killer fried chicken!
 
And so it begins... ;)
 
Rboe_imp said:
I may, just may have been silly there. Cast iron is the way to go. :)
No argument from me! :worship:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I may, just may have been silly there. Cast iron is the way to go. :)
No argument from me! :worship:
No argument from me! :worship:
And only a Lodge cast iron skillet. Anyone who uses anything else doesn't know anything about frying chicken... :angel:
 
You guys are really making me miss my mom
 
That Lodge cast iron stuff is great , I have their double burner girdle, a skillet, and the Dutch oven... Ahh!
And like Rboe said in an another thread ,they gett better with time . Quoting his words:-
" I think of it like cast iron cook wear. New looks good, but a well seasoned pan has a certain rugged handsomeness to it that is appealing."
 
wildezt_imp said:
That Lodge cast iron stuff is great , I have their double burner girdle, a skillet, and the Dutch oven... Ahh!
And like Rboe said in an another thread ,they gett better with time . Quoting his words:-
" I think of it like cast iron cook wear. New looks good, but a well seasoned pan has a certain rugged handsomeness to it that is appealing."
Is this board so civil that we can't get into a dino vs synthetic pissing match!? In that case, I say peanut oil is the only way to fry chicken. Anyone that says canola is the way to go is a tree-hugging, gun-toting, liberal, conservative hippy, redneck, moron!
:D
 
What does fog that engine mean?
oldgoat01_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
That Lodge cast iron stuff is great , I have their double burner girdle, a skillet, and the Dutch oven... Ahh!
And like Rboe said in an another thread ,they gett better with time . Quoting his words:-
" I think of it like cast iron cook wear. New looks good, but a well seasoned pan has a certain rugged handsomeness to it that is appealing."
Is this board so civil that we can't get into a dino vs synthetic pissing match!? In that case, I say peanut oil is the only way to fry chicken. Anyone that says canola is the way to go is a tree-hugging, gun-toting, liberal, conservative hippy, redneck, moron!
:D
I think mom used Crisco oil. Is that stuff even available today?
 
Tripod_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I may, just may have been silly there. Cast iron is the way to go. :)
No argument from me! :worship:
No argument from me! :worship:
And only a Lodge cast iron skillet. Anyone who uses anything else doesn't know anything about frying chicken... :angel:
Heh. If your cast iron pan says "Made in the USA" it's made by exactly one company. All cast iron pans made in the USA are made by the same company; they white-label their stuff for other manufacturers of kitchenware who feel they need cast iron items to be "complete." The stuff you learn on "How It's Made." :-)

And OF COURSE there's no other way to fry anything other than a cast iron skillet. Duh.

To the OP: if you're changing your oil at 2k miles, there's no real benefit synthetic can give you. Quality dino juice should perform on-par with synthetic oil at that change interval or less. Synthetic oil permits you to push past those limits as contaminants diffuse in the oil and break down its lubricating properties.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You guys are really making me miss my mom
Ditto. You are making me miss my mom and her fried chicken. Made in a heavy electric frying pan in Crisco. Tough on the arteries bud good for the soul. Lost her 3 years ago.

Chip

 
Back
Top