Is age going to stop you from riding?

Rock makes a lot of us young again by raising the bar! and that makes a lot of us wimps now as well.

I think I'll go get my sport bike back.

..and I'll stay away from that forum where our resident intellectuals are all hanging out.
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
Rock makes a lot of us young again by raising the bar! and that makes a lot of us wimps now as well.

I think I'll go get my sport bike back.

..and I'll stay away from that forum where our resident intellectuals are all hanging out.
Good on you Rocky. Some of you young blokes worry about your health too much. Eat meat pies, drink beer, ride hard. And yes, keep away from them 'leckchooal fellas. They think too much :).

Cheers
 
Thanks for the remarks guys, but go easy on the "hero" stuff :D
I'm blessed to still be doing this and sharing it with like-minded people like all of you.
If anyone had told me 40 years ago that I would be doing this, and at this age, I would have laughed in their face!
I was out for a 197 kilometer (123 miles) ride today on my 1967 BSA Victor Roadster and enjoyed ever minute of it. It was the first decent day this spring that you could ride and be comfortable.
As soon as it gets a little warmer the CB and I will be taking much longer rides - much longer.
Oh yes, BTW, I don't ride in the winter :D
 
Of course age will stop me from riding. The question should probably be: at what age will you stop riding? The answer is I don't know. Yet. But, like Spaceman, I hope someone will tell me if I'm too dotty to work it out myself. In the meantime, I'll keep riding, drinking beer and eating the odd meat pie, although not necessarily at the same time.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
I'm a newbie to the forum, having just purched a Canadian 2014 CB1100A, but I was delighted to read this thread and see that many of us here are up in years.
Age is many things to many people. Some of my friends have already mentally made themselves old. In their minds they can't cut it anymore and are content to sit in front of a TV - and they're years younger than I am!!!!!
Not his spring chicken! I'll be 77 this year and feel more like 27.
I came back to bikes in 1992 after raising my family.
At age 70 I rode for three weeks through the deserts and Andes Mountains of Chile and Peru.
At age 72 I rode for two weeks through the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
At age 74 I toured the province of Newfoundland for ten days.
Granted, I've been blessed with good genes and excellent strength and health. But it's not all good luck. I take care of myself, eat right and stay fit.
I belong to a bike club but often ride alone because many of my younger friends can't keep up with me. After about two hours they're finished and ready to head home while I'm just getting started.
But you never know what might be around the corner regarding your health. So many things are out of your hands. You can only do the best you can do and carry on.
I think (hope) I have enough common sense to know when it's time to get off two wheels. At my age I hope that's not in the near future because I'm having one heck of a good time - and I'm over the moon with the new CB.
Whether this will be my last new bike remains to be seen.
Rocky... I couldn't have asked for a better response to my question... Fantastic!
You are truly an inspiration... reading your thread says everything to me. Passion, attitude, healthy living, exercise, (I'm sure a good family too), and staying young mentally is what it's all about. And yes... good genes help. But like the commercial says... 'A body in motion, stays in motion. A body at rest stays at rest'. Rock on Rocky!!!! :clap:
ncgeezer_imp said:
Absolutely - You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding! (I'm 66)
Amen brother... :worship:
 
The reason that the CB11 will probably be my last bike is simple. I like UJMs. I'm not confident that there will be a lot of these sold in the future. That's the main reason I kept the CB750 when I bought the CB11. Between the two of them, they ought to last me another 25 years or so (I hope!).
 
Thanks ride4now :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
MFGUSA asked about my bikes.
I returned to motorcycling in 1992 on a new 1989 leftover Honda NT650 Hawk. It was a wonderful bike and it was replaced by an '02 CB900F (919) - but many times since I wish I hadn't sold it.
I've always loved vintage bikes and found the Triumph 500 close by in 1995 and restored it to better than new condition. I found the BSA in 2000 and did the same thing to it. I belong to a vintage bike club and ride the old bikes every week depending on the weather.
I saw a tutorial on posting pictures and will view that later.
 
Raised my family, just got my 2014 std after 25 years out...age 58.
I was just thinking this question....I figured as long as I have the strength in my hands to hang on under acceleration...I'm good to go ;-)
 
I will buy a moped if need be, or a 125. I have no doubt my knees will give out long before my desire. I'll just have to wrench on old bikes and help the young fellows starting out to ride. A couple of weeks back three boys walked by the house as I was working on my BMW rebuild. One says to the other, hey that is the guy that works on motorcycles, boy is he cool. Or something similar.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
I will buy a moped if need be, or a 125. I have no doubt my knees will give out long before my desire. I'll just have to wrench on old bikes and help the young fellows starting out to ride. A couple of weeks back three boys walked by the house as I was working on my BMW rebuild. One says to the other, hey that is the guy that works on motorcycles, boy is he cool. Or something similar.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very few compliments better than what comes out of unopinionated young ones mouths! Bike & Car shows are an excellent environment to find kindred souls and spend your day ogling the fare. I love listening in on what people have to say. Some great ideas come from that.
 
Gonna ride as long as I can safely handle my bike. Nowadays it seems most people rust out as opposed to wearing out. My plan is to keep on choogling into the sunset. Gotta see what's over the next hill.
 
Just rode with my 79 year old neighbor yesterday.He is a cancer survivor,still under treatment.Few months back he traded in his Harley Sportster for a sleek heritage soft tail.He wants to enjoy riding as long as he can.Inspiring!
 
I thought I was done last year, my legs are somewhat problematic at 55 years old due to working and standing long hours and decades on concrete and steel floors. I was just having a hard time keeping the cruiser up at stop lights without my legs shaking and aching. Decided to try the more upright position of the CB, loved it, bought a '13 ABS and now I am enjoying riding again. The Can Am offers me hope when I begin to have difficulty with the CB.

There is a gentleman at the local coffee shop that is in his early 80's. He was riding a Vulcan 900 last I saw and was beginning to wonder if he was alright after not seeing him for a few months. He showed up to the cafe on a beautiful blue electraglide the other day, said he's been to busy riding his new bike to stop in for coffee!
 
Rock is a babe in toyland. We have a fellow coming to our Guzzi rallys that is 93. Rides a Goldwing pulling a trailer. Tall farmer from Oklahoma. He did say that the Datil Rally this year was probably his last; he is feeling his oats now. Just a long two days for him so I imagine he'll pace himself now.

We have a few riders in their 70's. Typical ol' farts. But exactly the type you'll rarely if ever see in a senior center.

Genes and accidents will dictate when you stop more than age. To hear all you old farts talking; YOU are classic Moto Guzzi riders! :D
 
Im no longer worried about wearing out a motorcycle but I plan to ride as long as I can. I already notice I dont have as good of reflexes and things like that I used to have. Its a miracal I made it out of my teens and 20's. I was wild and wide open. Fate determines a lot but I plan to ride as long as I can and still enjoy it.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Rock is a babe in toyland. We have a fellow coming to our Guzzi rallys that is 93. Rides a Goldwing pulling a trailer. Tall farmer from Oklahoma. He did say that the Datil Rally this year was probably his last; he is feeling his oats now. Just a long two days for him so I imagine he'll pace himself now.

We have a few riders in their 70's. Typical ol' farts. But exactly the type you'll rarely if ever see in a senior center.

Genes and accidents will dictate when you stop more than age. To hear all you old farts talking; YOU are classic Moto Guzzi riders! :D
Already done the "corncob pipe and red suspenders" thing (LOL) with a Guzzi Breva. Think I'll be riding the CB until physical problems force me me to quit. A long way down the road yet I hope.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Rock is a babe in toyland. We have a fellow coming to our Guzzi rallys that is 93. Rides a Goldwing pulling a trailer. Tall farmer from Oklahoma. He did say that the Datil Rally this year was probably his last; he is feeling his oats now. Just a long two days for him so I imagine he'll pace himself now.

We have a few riders in their 70's. Typical ol' farts. But exactly the type you'll rarely if ever see in a senior center.

Genes and accidents will dictate when you stop more than age. To hear all you old farts talking; YOU are classic Moto Guzzi riders! :D
Already done the "corncob pipe and red suspenders" thing (LOL) with a Guzzi Breva. Think I'll be riding the CB until physical problems force me me to quit. A long way down the road yet I hope.
Already done the "corncob pipe and red suspenders" thing (LOL) with a Guzzi Breva. Think I'll be riding the CB until physical problems force me me to quit. A long way down the road yet I hope.

Did you tuck your pants into the top of your engineer boots? :rofl:
 
Back
Top