Is age going to stop you from riding?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Appologies to the youngsters here (those younger than 40..), but I've
seen too many comments of late talking about how 'this will be my last
bike', or 'I might ride just 5-6 more years', etc. You get the drift.
So, I thought maybe us old guys should hash out this important
question. I'm 58, and started riding 42 years ago when I was 16...
on a dirt bike. I bought and sold 5 bikes until at age 25 I left the hobby
to raise a family. 11 years ago, I got back in and have already bought
5 bikes, keeping 3 of them. I plan on riding as long as I can earn
a license. 80 years old??? Why not? As long as I can see and have
good reaction time, again... why not. I might consider a CanAm or
a trike if I'm afraid of dropping the bike. What are you going to do??? I bet I buy 4-6 more bikes by then.... Who knows? I love my CB... it's staying. But the Harley will go someday to be replaced by a bigger touring bike (maybe a RoadGlide) and who knows what I'll do with the KLR. What will you do? I never see a time
in the future where I don't have a bike!
 
Anytime I feel like crap for whatever reason, a ride on a bike makes me feel better. I will ride a 2 wheeler as long as I can and then maybe something with 3 wheels as you said.I am 56 now,GOD willing I hope to have at least 15 more years:beerchug:
 
You stop when you don't enjoy it or you can't manage it safely anymore. Those things might happen at the same time.

That's pretty much it. I'm 51 and I try to keep myself in shape so that I don't betray that 19-year-old that still lives inside me. But other things may force the issue some day. You never know.
 
I started riding on a Honda 50 when I was 5 years old, 54 in a couple weeks and really cant see any reason to stop in the next 20 years or so. I do think that the more hours I put on the mountain bike the more years I will get on the motor bike.
 
I am fortunate to know several riders who are well into their '70's and they get along very well. I'm 56 and feel that riding keeps me physically and mentally sharp. You never know, but I feel that I will be riding a long time, and while I may, at some point, favor smaller lighter bikes, I don't plan on quitting.
 
Family history, medical issues, anything can tell you when you are going to quit

There weren't any commercial mini bikes for me to ride as a kid other than Briggs and Stratton jobbies. When we were kids we built our own.

I got my first street bike in 1965. So, in a few weeks I will have been street riding for 49 years. Have not been without a bike since, and often many at one time. I also raced Motocross for 10 years.

I turn 64 in a couple of weeks, have a few discs in my back that don't like me shoveling, or lifting heavy things, my memory isn't what it used to be, my hearing isn't what it used to be although I hear the tinnitus very well, 24/7, my reflexes aren't what they used to be. My head swivels about 1/2 of what it did when I was young. I wear bifocals, I've had knee and shoulder surgery. So far my internal organs are treating me fairly. Thanks to meds my cholesterol is good and my blood pressure is good. I'm about 20 pounds over weight, but in the plus column I have never drank, nor smoked. I eat fairly health...it runs in spurts. I get tired sometimes of oatmeal, salads and baked chicken breasts and broccoli.

Most anyone (and I say most because there are a few really healthy strong old people) will tell you, you will deteriorate as you get older, You are not nearly as resilient at 40 as you were at 30, not at 50 as you were at 40, not at 60 as you were at 50 and so on.

Heredity comes into play as you get closer to the end. Cancers take an awful lot of otherwise healthy people, often far too young. No one in my family has lived past the age of 79. So in essence I figure that is pretty much my ceiling as well.

I hope to be able to ride until I am 70. That's my goal. 6 years to go. If I am healthy enough and have enough of my facilities, strength and wherewithal to continue riding I will certainly do so. 75 would be awesome. That would give me 60 years in the saddle (on the street). But I know, a day will come when I have to make the decision to stop.

A friend of mine, 66 years old, avid rider, owns 3 Goldwings went for a ride one Saturday not too long ago. When he returned home from his ride, he turned off the key, took off his helmet and said "That's it". He was done riding. He has since sold all the Wings and all his gear. I asked him if he had a close call or something, which caused him to quit and he said no, he just knew he was done. How about a smaller lighter bike, or a scooter I asked. Nope...done! He had had some medical issues lately and I think they were wearing on him.

Regret the day I have to make that decision.
 
Since 53 I've been basing my ability to ride on the previous seasons snowmobiling endeavors and vice-versa, providing nothing else is afoot. Spring and fall are the transitional times when the aches and pains from the last season begin to show their worth and make me contemplate my ability to deal with the next seasons sport. I'm 56 now and other than being a bit more creaky, nothing much has changed. Winter into summer is the worst though because sometimes snowmobiling can be brutal, but I love it so.
 
Wait....Why do I feel a 'Wild Hogs' moment coming here....


8e66ad28baae8ace59943a42346cbec4.jpg

:D:D
 
Just turned 66 in April and hope to be riding when I'm 86. Diminished capacity to operate a bike safely would be the only reason to stop. None of us know what tomorrow may hold. Last January a very close friend, not a rider but physically active and in seemingly excellent health, got pneumonia and passed away within days after being hospitalized. I like to live each day to it's fullest, thanking God for each day I'm allowed. Besides, riding makes me feel younger and happier.
 
I'm 56 and in decent health, I've been ridding since i was a kid ( 10 ) i don't want to think about not being able to ride anymore, but i guess my body and mind will tell me when to stop I HOPE
 
I'm a newbie to the forum, having just purched a Canadian 2014 CB1100A, but I was delighted to read this thread and see that many of us here are up in years.
Age is many things to many people. Some of my friends have already mentally made themselves old. In their minds they can't cut it anymore and are content to sit in front of a TV - and they're years younger than I am!!!!!
Not his spring chicken! I'll be 77 this year and feel more like 27.
I came back to bikes in 1992 after raising my family.
At age 70 I rode for three weeks through the deserts and Andes Mountains of Chile and Peru.
At age 72 I rode for two weeks through the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
At age 74 I toured the province of Newfoundland for ten days.
Granted, I've been blessed with good genes and excellent strength and health. But it's not all good luck. I take care of myself, eat right and stay fit.
I belong to a bike club but often ride alone because many of my younger friends can't keep up with me. After about two hours they're finished and ready to head home while I'm just getting started.
But you never know what might be around the corner regarding your health. So many things are out of your hands. You can only do the best you can do and carry on.
I think (hope) I have enough common sense to know when it's time to get off two wheels. At my age I hope that's not in the near future because I'm having one heck of a good time - and I'm over the moon with the new CB.
Whether this will be my last new bike remains to be seen.
 
I just hope there's someone there to tell me I can't ride safely anymore if I'm too senile to realize it myself. There are a stunning number of old peopje who live in nearby Cemetery Village (or is that Century?) who should have stopped driving years ago but persist.

But to the question of age: hopefully I'll die of something before I get so old I have to stop riding.
 
Rock, your everything that's right about this sport so keep it up! Not many hero's left in this world.

I'll bet you ride in the winter too.
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
Rocky you are the man, keep it up brother, and enjoy that CB to the max!
+1

I've often said anyone over 70 riding is a hero of mine. Rocky you sound like a super hero!
 
Rocky, your post was good for me to read just now. Rock on! I have a similar story - coming back to riding after taking care of other obligations.

However much time we get will have to do.

This morning, I watched someone else ride away on my VFR. It was hard to sell that bike. This wasn't a sentimental thing, it was just a stunner in so many ways. But I don't have time right now for two bikes so it was time to let one go. So now it's no longer my VFR.

I don't know if the CB will be my last bike. But it will be in my garage a long time I hope. For right now, I'm looking forward to a great riding season with a great new bike. The rest will just have to take care of itself.
 
I thought about all this, what everyone said in earlier posts and it is all so true.

Wasn't sure what else could be added... We all have personal reasons.. which keep us going.

Many members are long time riders, very experienced and speak a lot of wisdom..

It sits in the back of our minds, that moment... when the time comes and we will have to give up.. doing something we love doing.. AND THE TIME WILL COME BUT WHY WORRY ABOUT IT..

The age does not matter when you can still do it and are able to enjoy it..
If you want to do something.. if you can... do it now ...don't wait till tommorrow.. you never know what happens tommorrow.

Here is the quote by George S. Patton Jr.

“Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one
thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the
body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up.
It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is
never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger
the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was
never tired... You've always got to make the mind take over
and keep going.”
 
Back
Top