iPhone sun shade ?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Do any of you folks employ some type purchased or home-made sun shade for your mobile devices mounted on the handle bars? On past trips, I install a Ram Phone mount on my handle bars to hold my iPhone. Problem is the sun overheats it and it auto shut off (with out anything exploding so far).
*
Amazon has something that might work ... don't know: https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Compatib...=1&sr=8-13
 
I posed this question here before (tried searching for it with no luck). The prevailing opinion as I recall was that it’s difficult to shield the sunlight enough and still be able to see the entire screen. I’d love to see someone post that they have a solution because I use my iPhone X for my navigation.
 
At my last job, we developed a racing instrument system for go karts using a mobile phone as a dashboard mounted on the steering wheel.

Same problem. We found that iPhones shut down much more easily than other brand phones. We tried making all sorts of visors and shields but nothing worked with any degree of success.
 
My family bought me a GPS, back in the days of flip phones. I couldn't see the screen much less read it while in motion, and fashioned a sunshade from a thin sheet of plastic. Didn't work all that well. Now I have a giant phone, but it stays in my pocket. I'm old school and prefer a yellow sticky with the route noted on it turn by turn. On the Bmr I tape it to the windshield, and on the Honda I tape it to the speedometer face. Part of my problem is I like to wear curved lens dark safety glasses when I ride and can't read a phone screen thru the dark glass. I've tried bifocals, but can't ride with the visor up wearing regular glasses, too much wind in the eye.
 
I just keep my phone in my pocket, and have a single bluetooth earbud in one ear if I need to listen to navigation directions.
 
I do not text while riding.....only have two hands :P

..but now seriously, you can put it in a soft-black plastic box with reinforced bottom (like a wrap up) with 1-2" high side wall that prevents the sun from penetrating your screen... simple $3 device...
It may work for you if you have suitable phone holder....

I build this U shape shade for my GPS

2f428441a8a83158b1a35696fd345ede.jpg

:beerchug:
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I just keep my phone in my pocket, and have a single bluetooth earbud in one ear if I need to listen to navigation directions.
:thumbsup: - I concur.

TBH: A Galaxy S10 on a RAM X-Grip in direct and indirect sunshine seems to perform well too, for those who need to see the screen.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I do not text while riding.....only have two hands :P

..but now seriously, you can put it in a soft-black plastic box with reinforced bottom (like a wrap up) with 1-2" high side wall that prevents the sun from penetrating your screen... simple $3 device...
It may work for you if you have suitable phone holder....

I build this U shape shade for my GPS

2f428441a8a83158b1a35696fd345ede.jpg

:beerchug:
This along with a matte screen protector will be as good as it's gonna get, unless you buy a larger headlight fairing and find a way to tuck it inside with the right RAM bracket where it's under the shade but still visible, and that in itself will be subject to change based on the sun angle while you're in motion

Some years back, I installed Parrot's android Headunit on my Lexus and I had the same issue with reflection and glare during the day, the matte screen protector helped
 
I don't know if this is what you need/want, and it won't work well while parked ... but ...
If you funnel "a mostly laminar stream of air" from around the position of the head light onto the backside of your phone, your i-phone will shut down less often - guarantied !
Why would this work ? even on a warm day the air around you is less warm than the surface temp of your phone (think solar radiation), and the natural air-stream from the frond of the bike is often impeded (turbulent) because of cables, phone holder, shields etc. Finally this air stream (even at 80F carries away more heat than the solar radiation dumps into the device.
How to do that ? your choice of funnel material, from cardboard to metal, color white or silver, and a creative way to fix it to the handle bar.

If you try it (it isn't hard to do or expensive) please report back !
 
Back
Top