Iphone for motorcycling

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok I'm convinced after using my wife's smart phone for (1) navigating (2) finding gas stations on an app and (3) finding rest areas with an app that I need to crawl out of the past with my slide phone with the qwerty keyboard and get a new phone.

I know there are a bunch of different phones I see on TV commercials and to quote Ozzie Osborn, the greatest mumbler since Bob Dylan, "How many bloody G's are there?" I know almost zero about phones

Im currently with Verizon and like their coverage, but don't know if I have to use a phone that comes from them, or if they can get every phone.

Anyhow...looking for recommendations. Currently I make/ receive calls, send and receive texts, take very few pics..that's it, but I want to do more as in the 3 examples listed in the first paragraph.guess it needs to have good battery life and quick charging. Has to be able to use an ear microphone for the GPS app.

What should I look for.
 
iPhone or Android devices are your best choices, most apps are written for them
Check out their size in person
My first ever Apple device was the iPhone 5 with Verizon
does everything I need it to, with little fuss
Some IT guys I work with, went with Android devices, they like to tinker more than you can with an iPhone.
If you just want something simple, that works and has a huge support and accessory market, save yourself hours of research and get an iPhone.
BTW, a new iPhone 6? is due out very soon, may want to wait for that, or get good deal on iPhone 5s.
BTW2, this is the tech equivalent of an oil thread :-)
 
Yep apple or android. Apple simple reliable more expensive. I will add great free tech support at Genius Bar at apple stores. And great product support in my experience. Battery not lasting long enough in near 9 month old iPod, replaced no question asked. Dropped my iPad, had therotection, paid small fee and walked out with new device. iCloud backup works, have used it for damaged iPad, stolen iPad and etc. all I can say is apple works, but not the cheapest.

The app world is great no doubt for both devices. Welcome aboard to the modern world.

New iPhone in 1 month, so wait a bit.


And yes this is worse than an oil thread.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Worse than an oil thread really? Sorry! Had no idea. Thought this would be fairly simple. Guess nothing is simple anymore.

I can't even tell you what kind of phone my wife has lol but I dont really need something real fancy. Like I said my current phone is a brick compared to hers, but we were out in the car and she wanted to go somewhere. I told her I didn't know where that was and she pulled up turn by turn directions on her phone. i said can you use an ear piece with that? Yep. Ok then I need to upgrade lol
 
Buy an iPhone 5s, start studying, lock the thread before it's too late!
(make sure what ever phone you buy supports LTE/4G speeds, and be aware, for you to hear the phone while riding, you would probably need a Bluetooth headset in your helmet)
 
Thread starter
Bluetooth? Over my head.

On hers you plug a little wire into a hole in the top and you can listen thru a plug you stick in your ear. Wouldn't that work?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Bluetooth? Over my head.

On hers you plug a little wire into a hole in the top and you can listen thru a plug you stick in your ear. Wouldn't that work?
Yes, if you don't mind a wire, if not get something like this, can also be used for talking to co-riders.
Product | Sena
 
Thread starter
Hiker we have the Scala Rider headsets we already use for communication. Probably blue tooth enabled but we are not lol. I think our Honda truck is blue tooth enabled too but we don't know how to use that either. We are old school and not very technically savvy, in case you can't tell. :rolleyes:

How tech savvy am I?

I was disappointed I couldn't get handles to roll down the windows, the exact amount I want, in the truck. It's all push button now, and not real easy to get adjusted perfectly. Down oops too far up a little, oops too far. What was wrong with a crank handle?

I don't understand why each side has it's own heat/ air conditioning controller... Doesn't the air in the cab get all mixed together anyway? If not, what keeps it separated?

I just started using that electronic fob thing to unlock my door. i have always used a key to unlock the door.

My wife talks into her phone and lets it talk to other people. I talk to other people thru the phone.

It took me 6 months to quit calling people to see if they received my faxes when we got a fax machine.

It still doesn't make sense to me that you can fax a picture. This is science fiction stuff.

Here's more

I don't understand how a calculator calculates so fast

Or how a GPS knows which is the quickest, or the most direct, or the most scenic route anywhere in the world, almost instantly

With 3 billion people in the world using electronic stuff bouncing off satellites, how come I never get a text or email accidentally in Chinese or Russian. I mean I still get wrong number calls on my land line telephone.

Don't any of these messages ever miss the satellite and continue out into space forever?

Don't the messages ever collide?
 
Not a big fan of Apple computers but there phones are very good. I would recommend the iPhone, it has voice commands as do android which makes it easy to move around. Mickey, you could pick-up a iphone 4S for free with a two year contract. There is not much difference between the 5C and 4S except 150.00 price tag.
 
Thread starter
so it looks like Iphone and either a 4 5 or 6 lol. Hey free sounds good to me as long as I can get those 3 apps for it..Gps, gas stations, rest areas, and maybe a motel app. "That's all I need" (in Steve Martin "the Jerk" voice)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok I'm convinced after using my wife's smart phone for (1) navigating (2) finding gas stations on an app and (3) finding rest areas with an app that I need to crawl out of the past with my slide phone with the qwerty keyboard and get a new phone.

I know there are a bunch of different phones I see on TV commercials and to quote Ozzie Osborn, the greatest mumbler since Bob Dylan, "How many bloody G's are there?" I know almost zero about phones

Im currently with Verizon and like their coverage, but don't know if I have to use a phone that comes from them, or if they can get every phone.

Anyhow...looking for recommendations. Currently I make/ receive calls, send and receive texts, take very few pics..that's it, but I want to do more as in the 3 examples listed in the first paragraph.guess it needs to have good battery life and quick charging. Has to be able to use an ear microphone for the GPS app.

What should I look for.
I just switched to Verizon after over a decade with T-Mobile (why is another thread entirely), and I got the HTC One M8 from them. I had the One S with TMO for two years and it was flawless. Got big bucks selling it too. The new one is just the right size (for me, anyway), does everything, and is guaranteed to upgrade to any new releases of Android for the life of the phone.
 
Ferret, if you have an iPad already, go with the iPhone as it will all seem terribly familiar. The Scala Rider headset will probably work with it so you won't need to do anything much other than get one of your children to help you connect it. That's what kids are for!

I've nothing against Android, but my experience watching other people is that Apple has the simplicity thing in the bag and people struggle far more with Windows and Android systems.

If you're going to use it seriously for turn by turn navigation, you'll need to find a way to connect it to the battery so it can keep charging on the go. Those GPS apps drink juice.

If you go iPhone, the native Maps app has turn by turn, so, too, does Google Maps which you can download for free. Both are a bit limited, but work OK. There are other, relatively cheap, options, like a Tom Tom app that gives you pretty much all the functionality of a dedicated GPS device. There's a discussion about it somewhere on the forum. Try here.

By the way, get the latest model you can. The operating system gets upgraded regularly and they start to slow down when that happens.
 
I don't think the iPhone 4 has 4g/LTE capabilities for the faster data connection.

Has some fixed their navigation issues with their app? I know they had their own navigation app issues that is why they tried to get Google maps to work on the iOS platform.

Personally voice control, navigation app,, great camera, not a huge sized device and not a small one like the iPhone, a Motorola x, or since you are with Verizon look at their moto droid devices they can do the same things. Every device now does have the cloud for storage.

Not to mention my moto x on my 300+ mile 13 hour day of escorting the Vietnam wall and two other walls my battery when I got home was still at 40% left. Others on the ride were running into the stores at the stops looking for chargers for their different devices so they could charge along the way.

The best I can offer is get your hands on the different ones at the stores, don't be pressured into an iPhone or Samsung phone if you don't really want one. Look at the different options out there. Ask questions at the store pertaining to what your wanting to do.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I don't understand lots of those things either, Ferret. But, on the subject of calculators, I remember when I first started work there was an old Olivetti mechanical calculator. The bigger the numbers the longer it took to chunk away to figure the answer. It got there. I remember it used to take 36 seconds to figure that it couldn't divide 999,999,999 by zero. Made a hell if a racket while it did it.
 
Used those in college, until electronic calculator came, and were they expensive. I still have a slide rule and remember how to use it!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh and Ferret, there are lots of good apps. Can find restaurants. If you dream of it it exists!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I am the last guy that needs to give advice on something like this so I wont. I will just tell you my story. I resisted also for a long long time an a smart phone. I have the Iphone 4 and it does everything I want it to do. I am living in the stone age as well. I like the navigation, weather, find stuff, no matter where you are at. I just learned how to text last year. :s

It is amazing what all these things are capable of that I dont even know about. I like the camera also. The only advice I can give you at all is to find somebody a lot younger than you like your kids or grand kids to help you. My nieces, nephews are all in their early 20s and have helped me out a ton.

I have been wanting to get some kind of system to where I can hear directions or answer the phone with some sort of speaker system you put in your helmet but I dont even know what its called.

Like someone said those apps use a lot of juice on the battery but I bought a couple of cords to hook to my battery tender pigtail that can charge my phone. I will try to post some pics later of it.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
iPhone 4 does have 4G capabilities.
Not true 4g. Not the LTE version but maybe what is it the hpna version on one carrier...

Regarding those apps using a lot of juice. That long day of mine I had my phone connected Bluetooth to my helmet and had Google maps speaking navigation stuff to me in the helmet without a drain in the battery.

Like I said shop around, you might find the iPhone what suits you. Personally it isn't a smart phone but a fancy feature phone that can do almost the same stuff a smart phone can. Now I don't want to start any issues between iOS/Microsoft/android/Linux devices but I am entitled to my own opinion. That is why I am saying shop around.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top