Insurance renewal time

Jfro5687_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all. If you are like me you look forward to annual insurance renewal as much as visiting the dentist. Well having gone through it yesterday I was for once pleasantly surprised. I know everyone’s circumstances are different so £ or $ comparisons are worthless but for me (in the UK) the CB has pulled another bonus ball out of the bag! My premium hasn’t been as low as this for donkeys ( and I’ve been with the same company for about 10 years now mainly because I hate all the faffing about). I guess this must mean Insurance companies/brokers see the CB and its owners as a decent lot? I haven’t looked it up but whatever insurance group it’s in makes it very affordable. Have any of you had a similar experience?
 
Are you sure the premiums don't reflect reduced risk for the insurer during a pandemic?

Is it possible the premiums will bounce even higher post-pandemic as [higher] risk to the insurance companies resume?
 
With M2 for my first '13 CB1100, I paid C$2200, next year it was about C$1800, then C$1600 with M license.
For my '14 model, I paid C$1400, then C$1200, C$1000 and this year my premium is about C$800.
I only have theft/fire and liability coverage. No collision at all. Five years with the same broker, also have house and 2 cars with three drivers with them. No claims and excellent record for a few decades.
 
(+1) For an old bike, theft/fire in Canada is not worth it. Even collision coverage has limited value.

Ride the ol' CB1100 steed in winter and summer and enjoy for all its worth.
 
Insurance is a whacky business. I worked in it, and never understood it more than:
Young rider + Fast bike = $$$$
Older rider + Slow bike = $$

I was befuddled but pleasantly surprised when I bought my Fiesta ST, known as a hooligan car which is almost immediately augered into a guardrail by giddy teenagers. My carrier listed it as a "station wagon" and my premium dropped from my previous car.

I just look at my premium renewal, and if it's the same as the last one, I'm happy. We periodically get refund checks sent with great fanfare, telling us that due to reduced driving in the pandemic, they are giving back to help us. My wife asked "Why don't they just reduce the premium cost up front?" My answer was "Then there would be no fanfare about how much they are trying to help us!"
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
(+1) For an old bike, theft/fire in Canada is not worth it. Even collision coverage has limited value.

Ride the ol' CB1100 steed in winter and summer and enjoy for all its worth.
What do you mean for an old bike...I thought the CB1100 never gets old, ask our forum members. An AT is a different story...:P:D

For me, an extra C$20/year for theft and fire is peace of mind.
Don't have collision on any of my fleet either.
 
I keep collision (I crash) and comprehensive (house falls on stuff), even though my cars and bikes are fully paid for. As Peter says, it's peace of mind.

Plus, the combined additional coverages are less than earthquake insurance on my condo. So, if The Big One ever does hit, and my house pancakes down onto my garage, I'll have the added peace of mind that my flattened vehicles are covered.
 
Thread starter
In the UK I haven’t heard of ANY insurance company giving anything back to it’s customers due to the pandemic (with all vehicles being off the roads). Occasionally a radio phone in program might bring it up but it never seems to go anywhere. I went through all the normal questions they ask and all that, I just think it must be the bike and how the CB is perceived as a sound risk.
 
Really?, for my car, I got a couple of hundred bucks off, for not driving to work...
Call your insurance and ask but if you keep driving to work daily, it may not apply.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
In the UK I haven’t heard of ANY insurance company giving anything back to it’s customers due to the pandemic (with all vehicles being off the roads). Occasionally a radio phone in program might bring it up but it never seems to go anywhere. I went through all the normal questions they ask and all that, I just think it must be the bike and how the CB is perceived as a sound risk.
Similar in Canada from what I can determine.

Many seniors are getting one-time discounts without much challenge from the insurers. That is all I have witnessed (in the case of automobiles that is).
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
(+1) For an old bike, theft/fire in Canada is not worth it. Even collision coverage has limited value.

Ride the ol' CB1100 steed in winter and summer and enjoy for all its worth.
What do you mean for an old bike...I thought the CB1100 never gets old, ask our forum members. An AT is a different story...:P:D

For me, an extra C$20/year for theft and fire is peace of mind.
Don't have collision on any of my fleet either.
What do you mean for an old bike...I thought the CB1100 never gets old, ask our forum members. An AT is a different story...:P:D

For me, an extra C$20/year for theft and fire is peace of mind.
Don't have collision on any of my fleet either.
For me, old is five years or more for a m/c. Heck, automobiles too.
 
Yes, at least in the US (and it sounds like in Canada), vehicle insurance rates have declined as a result of the decreased vehicle usage during the pandemic. Most major insurers sent out premium rebates, marketed as "Covid Relief" or some similar catchphrase. Some also adjusted their renewal pricing downward, predicting continued reduced vehicle usage throughout 2020 and 2021. It takes months of real actuarial work for a company to estimate its "rate need" for the next year and most of that work is an analysis of and reaction to prior year results.

It would have been a random guess to predict the pandemic in the Q3 of 2019 or even through most of Q1 in 2020 and, even if they were very certain that a pandemic was coming, it would have been very difficult to predict that businesses and schools would be shut down for months. So, "why didn't they just lower rates?" Because they couldn't push a rate change through the insurance regulators fast enough because they would be operating on a guess. What they did instead was to say "Look. We need to do something fast and meaningful. We THINK we can justify a rate decrease in the future, so lets bet on that and 'front load' that decrease in the form of a rebate right now" And that's what most carriers did. Some have also filed for rate reductions for 2021 and will likely discontinue the "Covid Relief" rebates since they feel that they are getting the correct rate for risk with the new rate filings.

So, that's an overview of what happened from my perspective. I know that Progressive and a couple of other motorcycle insurers sent rebates to their policyholders. I suspect that this was more of a marketing gesture than based on rate for risk principles since if there was a change in motorcycle usage in the US in 2020, it was probably an increase. Although, they may have factored in that few cars on the road mean fewer motorcycle crashes. This, perhaps, is why some have seen motorcycle insurance premium decreases. However, also be aware that some insurers originally had the CB1100 classified as a "sport" or "sporty" bike and I know that at least some of them now classify them as "touring", "cruiser", or sometimes "standard" this change would have reduced your liability rates as well as the physical damage rates.

So, that's my contribution to this conversation. Not at all sure it helps our English friend who posted this thread, though. LOL
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Really?, for my car, I got a couple of hundred bucks off, for not driving to work...
Call your insurance and ask but if you keep driving to work daily, it may not apply.

When I retired and with my wife following about 2 years later, our auto insurance (Erie) dropped significantly when we were no longer commuting to work and estimated annual mileage was 8-10,000 miles per vehicle.

Emptysea may chime in on since this is his line of work.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Canadian insurance is similar to the US in a lot of ways. Europe's insurance system is vastly different. I suspect that our friends to the north got similar rebates and possible rate reductions from the pandemic. Most companies have always offered a discount for low annual miles and/or not driving to work. The pandemic rebates and related rate reductions would be in addition to those discounts, but you'd have to request them because the insurer has no real way to know that your individual situation has changed.
 
Thread starter
Thanks chaps. Be interesting to hear from any fellow UK members who read this and have had a refund or asked for one and got some. I don’t know anyone who has.
 
It’s not wonderfully helpful, but here in OZ, the insurer of our car provided rebates for a few months during the early part of the lockdown. As I recall they asked if our usage was down during the pandemic. I agreed it was and they sent the rebate.

peterbaron, have I understood you correctly that your premium for one motorcycle is C$1,800 p.a.?

Gone in 60_imp said:
I keep collision (I crash) and comprehensive (house falls on stuff), even though my cars and bikes are fully paid for. As Peter says, it's peace of mind.

Plus, the combined additional coverages are less than earthquake insurance on my condo. So, if The Big One ever does hit, and my house pancakes down onto my garage, I'll have the added peace of mind that my flattened vehicles are covered.
Gone, save your money. If the big one hits, your bikes will be covered, albeit not in the way you hoped. :P
 
I have two cars and three motorcycles all covered by the same insurer. I received Covid refunds for each of the two cars, but nothing for the bikes. Could be because I only have the bikes insured for liability, not comp or collision.
 
"Gone, save your money. If the big one hits, your bikes will be covered, albeit not in the way you hoped."

Yeah, and me too.

:rofl:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It’s not wonderfully helpful, but here in OZ, the insurer of our car provided rebates for a few months during the early part of the lockdown. As I recall they asked if our usage was down during the pandemic. I agreed it was and they sent the rebate.

peterbaron, have I understood you correctly that your premium for one motorcycle is C$1,800 p.a.?

Gone in 60_imp said:
I keep collision (I crash) and comprehensive (house falls on stuff), even though my cars and bikes are fully paid for. As Peter says, it's peace of mind.

Plus, the combined additional coverages are less than earthquake insurance on my condo. So, if The Big One ever does hit, and my house pancakes down onto my garage, I'll have the added peace of mind that my flattened vehicles are covered.
Gone, save your money. If the big one hits, your bikes will be covered, albeit not in the way you hoped. :P
NO, C$870 for my '14 CB
 
Thanks. Interesting differences between countries. Mine was AU$322 last year for full cover.
 
Fantastic premium, full coverage and almost one year riding.
Cormanus, do you own an insurance company?? :)
 
Back
Top