Instrument Cluster

Mackerel_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone found other options or customizations for the instrument cluster besides the back lit one from samurider or the few coverings? I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything else for it.
 
Thread starter
Looks like I'll add that to the list of long term mods!

Of course if I end up installing a faring then it won't matter
 
I find little to fault with the cluster. The Griso has a temp readout and I find that I miss that. Style wise I'd prefer a narrower middle area but then I'd just complain how hard things were to read there and wonder why they didn't make it wider.

If anything, I'd like to see these style of instruments on more of Honda's offerings.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I find little to fault with the cluster. The Griso has a temp readout and I find that I miss that. Style wise I'd prefer a narrower middle area but then I'd just complain how hard things were to read there and wonder why they didn't make it wider.

If anything, I'd like to see these style of instruments on more of Honda's offerings.
Formotion.com makes M/C thermometers.
 
I have one. Installed on the CB1100, but it is not all that easy to read and not accurate enough for some times of the year (e.g. near freezing).
 
Thread starter
What would be the big problems with trying to install an aftermarket instrument cluster? I'd like one that's low profile to keep the front low and clean looking. Shouldn't the stock wires attached straight to an aftermarket set?
Been looking at something like this: http://www.veypor.com/veypor.html
 
One of the hot button likes for me with the CB1100 is "analog" gauge set. It's a proper looking cluster compared to these LCD panels that look more at home in an advanced aircraft. But I'm old school that way. Give me round gauges. I'd love after market round gauges to install on other bikes to get away from the LCD's! The CB1100 just would not be the same bike without the round gauges and I would not have bought it. Your mileage may vary. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe I completely agree. I love the round gauges. I'm trying to find an all in one round gauge so that it still matches the appeal of that bike.

It's funny because I learned to fly on steam gauges and now I fly with LCD screens, but there's something to be said about staying old school.

Found a really good thread with lots of info to start:
Need A Gauge?
 
Humans are analog animals. In the cockpit, it's much faster to descern a needle in the wrong place than to decipher a bunch of numbers.
 
Thread starter
Our LCD screens still display needles, just an electronic representation. The other gauges are bar form for temps and such.
 
Thread starter
Here is the one I think will still look great on the bike, but be a little more low profile. I think going with the separate handle bar and building a custom bracket for this unit will look nice. Just not too sure because the ignition is right there also.

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/kos...-motorcycle_gauges/d-64-gp-style-speedometer/

Here is what they said in regards to compatibility:

Thanks for your interest in our products. All our gauges are ‘’ universal’’ and can work on any motorcycles on the market. All gauges include the necessary equipment (wires, brackets, sensors….) so you can install them properly. This mean the DL-03SR can work on your CB1100. On the other side, please keep in mind that our instruments are not plug and play. This mean you will have to solder the wires on your OEM wiring harness. You can easily view all specifications and instructions on our website at Powersport Aftermarket Parts - Gauges, Lights, Heated Equipment . Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards
Team Koso
 
Thread starter
I can't wait to post pictures to show everyone. I'll try to do them in all in step-by-step dyi form too. Going to be so much fun :banana:
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Humans are analog animals. In the cockpit, it's much faster to descern a needle in the wrong place than to decipher a bunch of numbers.
+1 on that. After 34 years of flying, most of them as an air show pilot and aerobatic competitor, I only use steam gauges as I only have a brief second to glance at them before returning my focus to the ground and horizon.
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Humans are analog animals. In the cockpit, it's much faster to descern a needle in the wrong place than to decipher a bunch of numbers.
+1 on that. After 34 years of flying, most of them as an air show pilot and aerobatic competitor, I only use steam gauges as I only have a brief second to glance at them before returning my focus to the ground and horizon.
+1 on that. After 34 years of flying, most of them as an air show pilot and aerobatic competitor, I only use steam gauges as I only have a brief second to glance at them before returning my focus to the ground and horizon.
Sounds like a CB convention will need to be in order. We definitely have to swap stories - meaning you tell me some cool ones. Scottsdale can't be too far from San Diego?
 
Thread starter
Thought just occurred to me:
If I replace the OEM gauges and I'm using an aftermarket that I install it's own magnet system for the speedo wouldn't that successfully eliminate the speed limiter?
 
I doubt it. The sender talks to the ECU directly; not having a gauge for you to see would not affect it.
 
Back
Top