Installed Yoshimura RSCV full exhaust today

ManInBlack_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Well, actually it took me several days-- I had to order a special socket to remove the O2 sensor-- but I felt a good sense of accomplishment. (I'm a very novice mechanic).

So here is my question. Do I need to get an after market fuel controller? I was thinking of getting the Dynajet PCFC, but don't want to get in over my head. Bike seems to run great now.

Also, this is my first post, though I have been lurking for a while...

David
 
G'day ManInBlack and welcome to the forum. Why not drop into the New Members area and introduce yourself.

We'll look forward to the pictures.
 
Hey MiB,

Welcome...

If your new Exhaust is minus a Cat. then there is a good chance you will need to re-tune the Air Fuel Ratio with a Fuel Controller of some sort and a dyno run. The Auto Tune gizmos, that a few companies sell, work well but require a larger O2 sensor to be installed.
If your new Exhaust still has a Cat. and you've re-fitted the O2 sensor from the OEM Exhaust, then you don't need to do anything...
 
Thread starter
Thanks! I am excited to be part of the CB1100 family.

I hooked the new exhaust to the original O2 sensor, but I'm not sure if that means it has a Cat. The bike runs great, no back firing, good acceleration, etc.
 
ManInBlack_imp said:
Thanks! I am excited to be part of the CB1100 family.

I hooked the new exhaust to the original O2 sensor, but I'm not sure if that means it has a Cat. The bike runs great, no back firing, good acceleration, etc.

Welcome! How hard was the installation? I'm not a mechanic at all, but I've been eyeing that exhaust myself. Did you have any help getting the headers mounted?


2013 Honda CB1100
 
Thread starter
It was more involved than I imagined it would be. I had replaced the exhaust on a Honda Shadow and it was pretty easy, but it didn't have an O2 sensor and was only 2 pipes.

The O2 sensor requires a special socket to remove it since the wire is in the way of a conventional socket.
https://honda.snapon.com/HondaCycle/ItemDetail.aspx?itemId=42731101
And once you have that you need to disconnect it from underneath the right side panel so it doesn't get all twisted up when you unscrew the sensor from the pipe.

I learned all this the hard way, but PM if you are going to do it and I can tell you more.

David
 
It'll be fine without being re-tuned. The computer has ample parameters to adjust as needed for the pipe. Now, if you'd like your rev limit raised and speed limiter deleted.....
I had that done by Guhl, then added pods, a Power Commander 5 and a dyno tune.
13+rwhp over stock.
Limited by the cam at that point. It's extremely mild.
 
Thread starter
I'm a pretty mellow rider. It is one of the reasons I like the character of the CB. So I probably won't go nuts with those sorts of mods. I just don't want to encounter problems down the road because i didn't retune. I'm not eager to void the warranty on a new bike.
Does changing the pipes void the warranty? If so I am all ready all in and might as well do it.
 
Thread starter
I emailed Yoshimura. Here is the official answer.

"Thank you for your interest in the Yoshimura products. This exhaust was designed to work with the stock settings on the motorcycle. Some customers have added an aftermarket fuel controller to help fine tune the motorcycle for race use, riding conditions, climate/elevation, or engine modifications."
 
David, congrats on installing the RSCV. I did the same at the start of this season without getting the CPU ref lashed - yet. I hope you enjoy the gorgeous sound that bike makes with that pipe between 2000-4000 rpm as well as the burbling when rolling off the throttle. This reminds me of the thread from a few weeks back that the ferret started about a bike having character or soul. The burbling on decels and throatier grunt under acceleration makes me feel something every time I hear them, which enhances the experience from the OEM pipe for me. Not obnoxious but looks and sounds bada**. My only complaint is that it scrapes easily if you get low in your right turns. I took a swipe out of it in an aggressive freeway entrance the other day. Pipe may only be here for a good time, not a long time!
a620764b0ca71ff23d24029b9e123a17.png
Also, an easy trick for the O2 sensor bolt is to take an angle grinder and cut a few millimetres out of the box end of a combination wrench, worked very well and got the idea from someone on this forum.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I know what you mean! This morning I needed to take my car but I still couldn't resist starting up the bike for a minute or two to hear it. Made me smile.
Have you noticed the rear brake hitting the pipe when it's depressed all the way? I have a couple of scrapes there and I'm not sure if it's from the install or riding activity.
 
I have not noticed any issue with the rear brake pedal touching the pipe while riding. With about 100 lbs of pressure on the pedal in the garage, I still have about a quarter inch gap between the pipe and the pedal. You might be right about it being a scratch from the installation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
ManInBlack_imp said:
I know what you mean! This morning I needed to take my car but I still couldn't resist starting up the bike for a minute or two to hear it. Made me smile.
Have you noticed the rear brake hitting the pipe when it's depressed all the way? I have a couple of scrapes there and I'm not sure if it's from the install or riding activity.

I too installed this system and it runs great without a re-flash.

My exhaust has plenty of clearance between it and the brake pedal, so as stated already, it's probably a scratch that happened during install. Unfortunately, I have several of those "character" marks from positioning it.

The sound is def a major improvement from stock as far as I'm concerned. If anything I am shocked at how mild the full through system sounds. I was expecting it to be louder... esp at idle. It sounds so smooth that it actually did away with any of the harder edged mechanical sounds that existed previously and as can be heard from the 4:2 DLX stock exhausts or the even more pronounced sounds from the 4:2s of the factory 2017 models. Which I actually didn't mind. Oh well.... I'm a harsh critic of sounds so it was gonna be impossible for me to be perfectly satisfied. Haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Yes, I agree, it is a little tame. I don't want my bike to sound obnoxious, but it could have been a shade or two louder. I installed a Cobra full exhaust on a Honda Shadow many years ago and I remember it being about right. It's bark was much bigger than its bite, though. I remember having the throttle wide open and barely being able to pass an 18 wheeler on an incline. Sounded great though!
 
Back
Top