Importing a motorcycle

Roper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I really like the CB1300 in the half-faired Bol D'or trim. But I doubt there will ever be a market for it here in the U.S. I don't even think they're in Canada or Mexico. Anyone ever import a motorcycle from Asia?
 
Good luck with that, I know trying to bring a car in that is not US certified is a major nightmare. Maybe a MC not so much, I would guess that emissions will be the biggest problem. Could you dress out a CB1100 to look similar, might be easier and cheaper.
 
The first thing that comes to mind is, does it meet all USA safety and EPA standards.
If it's not approved for import into North America (USA), then you're probably out of luck and up against a brick wall.
Canada and the USA are hand in glove when it comes to these standards so the same thing applies here too.
 
The thing that kept me from importing a 2014 Deluxe was the import fee, currency exchange and sales taxes. It would have cost almost CDN$20,000.
 
An old member, Ridem32, wanted to import one some time ago. He finally gave up. I think not being certified was the reason.
 
Thread starter
30 years ago, I was in Okinawa. Through the military, you could bring a car back to the U.S. if you purchased it there. The exchange rate was so much better. There was paperwork and a small fee. But, that was 30 years ago and I'm no longer in the military...
 
In 1977 I bought a Yamaha XS 750 in the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka, Japan. It and all the other bikes bought there by the crew were loaded on the USS Constellation. After we pulled out of port, Customs agents inspected the bikes for US compliance. We got the bikes in San Diego after we pulled in there. The bikes were in crates.

Customs found one bike hidden in the hangar bay under a tarp that was a Japenese model, not certifed for the US. The owner had to post bond on it and make it US good on arrival in the US.
 
Thread starter
glenncal1_imp said:
Good luck with that, I know trying to bring a car in that is not US certified is a major nightmare. Maybe a MC not so much, I would guess that emissions will be the biggest problem. Could you dress out a CB1100 to look similar, might be easier and cheaper.
That's a good idea. I could maybe get a Bol d'Or half fairing and see about some custom mounts/brakets...
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
If it turns out you can let me know and I'l try to hide the CB400 Super Four in the same box with it and split the shipping with you! :thumbsup:
Make it two CB400 Super Fours and I'll pay the freight on all three!
 
If it were me, I'd start with these web sites and see where that took me:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs-0
https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs-7
https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle

From this page https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/manufacturer/details/1154 it appears the CB1300 has not been registered for importation to the US.

In Australia, from this year, and much to the annoyance of dealers, it will be legal for a person to import a new vehicle from a country that has similar vehicle standards to Australia. I know Japan is on the list, and I suspect that, for motorcycles which aren't affected by the position of the steering wheel, the range of countries may be larger.

But I've no idea how difficult it is to persuade regulatory authorities in the US that a vehicle complies with relevant standards. It looks from a brief scan of one of the pages above that NHTSA may leave it to manufacturers to certify that vehicles comply. So, if you could get Honda to certify that the CB1300 meets all regulatory requirements in the USA, it may not be too hard to import one. But I don't really know. However there's a lot of people in the US and lots of them love automobiles, so there must be people out there who know lots about importing models that aren't usually sold.
 
And here is one from Customs and Border protection. If you read it, it does say you can import a non conforming vehicle, but you must post a bond and have it modified to be conforming. It all looks like a pain to me.

Importing a Motor Vehicle
 
How non conforming would something like a CB1300 actually be? For example, I can't image the Japanese make large capacity motorcycles that don't conform to the highest emission standards. Other mods, like having front indicators on at all times as running lights, can't be too expensive or difficult, can they?

In the end, I'm speculating. I have no idea, really.
 
All I know is that the bike the customs agents found on the carrier I was on had Japenese instruments. They didn’t like that. I don’t know what else. Maybe like you said, turn sigs, reflectors. I really don’t know.

The only reason I know some is because the bike was hid in our squadron’s designated spot for staging our offload and I got put in charge of the area. So I was there when they looked at it. And as is (still) typical in the Navy, nobody had a clue what I was in charge of. I still don’t know either :)
 
It's not a requirement in the U.S. for the front indicators to serve as running lights, nor is it a requirement for the headlight to act as a daytime running light.
 
Honda had a similar bike here in the US in 1994 Called the CB1000 " Big One". It didn't have the fairing on it though, it was a naked.
 
Isn't the FJ-09 selling relatively well?

If so, why wouldn't the fairinged (?) CB1300? This is a market segment I know next to nothing about.
 
I think the FJ09 sells because it is so different from everything else. Light weight, high horsepower, triple cylinder.

The closest thing to the CB1300 sold recently in the U.S. I would think would be the Suzuki Bandit 1250S, would it not?
 
Back
Top