Important Stuff... Like Riding

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Phew... spent all morning summarizing and calculating and chewing nails. Finally completed my 2015 Income Tax Return.

Now I can get back to the truly important things in life - like riding and planning my April Hill Country trip.

Still evaluating luggage but I'll probably pop for the Tourmaster Select saddle bags, they seem to be the best quality. And with 10 liters of capacity per bag, adequate for a 3 to 4 day ride.

I looked at the larger 20 liter units... but for me, may be over kill.

I have 200 miles left, so I'm already thinking about the first service. I've begun making a list of those items I'd like checked and/or adjusted. I've read through several of the threads covering oil types, weights, etc.

Temps may get to low 50s today... if I have a chance, would like to get my bike out for a front brake test and practice. Maybe even rub some wax on, wax off.

Sorry... a bit boring post, but 4 hours doing tax related junk has wound me up, hahaha.
 
Are you doing the first service or dealer? Quite easy DIY and a good tutorial by Mr ferret on the forum.

I envy your trip to the Hill Country. Our last ride there was in 2011 on rented bikes and even though the weather was oppressively hot it was still a treat.
 
What area of Texas is Three Sisters in? I have ridden thru N Texas on my way to Cali, and have hunted a bunch in south Texas but have never ridden there. Maybe a trip to three sisters would be a future trip I would make?

I farm my taxes to a pro lol

Got up to 30 here today but dropped to 28 and snow flurries so I only rode 60 miles.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Are you doing the first service or dealer? Quite easy DIY and a good tutorial by Mr ferret on the forum.

I envy your trip to the Hill Country. Our last ride there was in 2011 on rented bikes and even though the weather was oppressively hot it was still a treat.
I'm sorry to admit that I'm terrible when it comes to working with my hands so I'll have the small, local Honda shop perform the service.

And spring or fall are the best times to visit the Hill Country, weather-wise. But it's my favorite place to ride. My other favorite is Eureka Springs, Arkansas... absolutely beautiful.
The ferret_imp said:
What area of Texas is Three Sisters in? I have ridden thru N Texas on my way to Cali, and have hunted a bunch in south Texas but have never ridden there. Maybe a trip to three sisters would be a future trip I would make?

I farm my taxes to a pro lol

Got up to 30 here today but dropped to 28 and snow flurries so I only rode 60 miles.
The "Three Sisters" roads are a lot of fun to ride. They're also in the heart of the Texas Hill Country (100 miles straight west of Austin). There are a lot of great roads and country to ride through down there. And my favorite riding time of the year is spring. Indian laurels, bluebonnets and all kinds of other wild flowers are in bloom, and it's a sea of color.

I'm an old accountant... but no tax expert. Nonetheless, I use the H&R Block software and prep my own - my financial sheet is simple, plus I'm broke so taxes are simple here. lol
 
I've driven (not ridden) straight down 35 thru Austin to Laredo. Man 35 is a crazy highway. Still, just might have to ride out there one of these days.
 
Thread starter
Yes.. I-35 in and around Austin is indeed, typical "big city" busy. There are roads, and nice ones to use to get to the Hill Country/Fredericksburg, avoiding I-35 and Austin. If/when you start planning a visit let me know, I'll offer some suggestions, routes.

Here's a website that you might find interesting and helpful:

http://mytexashillcountry.com/hillcountrymap/hill-country-map.html

I live in north central Texas, north of Dallas 70 miles, and 9 miles south of the Red River, OK border. I go west 50 miles and hookup with Hwy 16. I take that country road south 200 miles straight into downtown Fredericksburg. All country, an easy, lovely ride.

But the Hill Country is worth visiting, by car or bike.
 
The ferret_imp said:
What area of Texas is Three Sisters in? I have ridden thru N Texas on my way to Cali, and have hunted a bunch in south Texas but have never ridden there. Maybe a trip to three sisters would be a future trip I would make?

I farm my taxes to a pro lol

Got up to 30 here today but dropped to 28 and snow flurries so I only rode 60 miles.
Three Sisters are in the heart of the Hill Country ferret. You really owe it to yourself to make it out there one day and I might just join you if you don't mind the company.
 
quietguy_imp said:
If you guys don't mind a "third", count me in too, redbirds...
Yeah, it could be the Hill Country CB Run. Sounds like a winner.

As an aside ferret, some of the best birding anywhere. I've added close to 40 species to my life list there.
 
Well best thing about the Hill Country is Bbq! You come back this way, drop me a line.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Hey quietguy, you ever rode the Old#9 Road from Comfort to Grapetown and from there to Luckenbach? One of my fav's that's never mentioned in print.
 
Thread starter
No, I haven't, redbirds... at least not that I'm aware of. Over the past several years I think I've ridden most of the main Hill Country roads. I've ridden to Luckenbach, then on to Bourne. Don't remember the name of the road though, sorry.

Another neat ride is to old Willow Town (but the town's gone). They call it the Willow Circle now. Very scenic during the spring.
 
Used to commute from Braker Land (in N. Austin) down to UT via I-35 back in the late 80's. Went back for a visit a few years ago and almost didn't recognize the place. Moved to Memphis in '93, where the BBQ is better! (but still miss the Hill country and the Austin music scene)
 
Thread starter
I moved to north Texas in late 1995, neuro, from southern California - was blessed to have escaped the Los Angeles madness. My favorite place, to visit and to ride, is the Texas Hill Country. I'm planning another ride there come April. My only knowledge of "BBQ" came with my move to Texas. And the best I found was at a little place called Clark's BBQ, in Tioga, Texas - birthplace of Gene Autry. Sadly, Clark's burned to the ground just this past week.

Come on back for a visit... and give a holler if you're up near Sherman. I'll buy you lunch.
 
Back
Top