If the CB1100 didn't exist

A FZ-1, a bike I've always wanted. But before deciding on the CB I was looking at the FZ-09 but now I like the XSR9 better.
 
If the CB1100 did not exist, I would still be on my 2003 Nighthawk, anxiously awaiting the Africa Twin.

What could get me off of the CB would be an Africa Twin-like version of the NC750X.
 
If there hadn't been a CB1100 in the shop where I found it...I'd have followed through on my search for a BMW K750.

How that would have ended, is anyone's guess.
 
Gentlemen,

The Moto Guzzi Griso or the BMW R9T as they are both throwback air cooled bikes. The only water cooled motorcycle that has really appealed to me the last few years is the latest Yamaha V-Max. Cheers.

Chip
 
I bought the CB1100 because prior to its introduction I was really, really pining for that Kawasaki W800 we can't buy here.
It might sound odd, but if the CB1100 hadn't arrived, I probably wouldn't have a retro bike at all. I'm sure I'd still have have some genuine old classics, though!
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
I bought the CB1100 because prior to its introduction I was really, really pining for that Kawasaki W800 we can't buy here.
It might sound odd, but if the CB1100 hadn't arrived, I probably wouldn't have a retro bike at all. I'm sure I'd still have have some genuine old classics, though!
Just looked up the W800, it's very nice, especially with the 2 tone tank, that would have seriously caught my eye had it been around.
 
Some bother about the two tones are made by a computer and
you can see pixels going from one tone into the other. I don't care about that.
The green beige coloured tank looks pretty good.

But the real joy arise, when you ride the machine and get an idea
of how well the engine performs.

Wisedrum
 
Interesting thread. I'll admit admit that the recent wave of new bike announcements managed to garner my attention a time or two. With that said, I'm not sure what I'd do if the CB1100 didn't exist.

For one thing, I couldn't imagine any other bike coming along that would have inspired me to launch a forum dedicated to its existence. In which case I wouldn't have come to find such a great group of individuals to interact with — or have the pleasure of meeting in person in a number of cases. That's a bit hard to fathom at this point in the game. My wife is still tickled that I "work" with a guy named "The ferret" and after having experienced the pleasure of meeting him (along with his better half) she has mentioned this to more than a few folks. So there's that.

The other thing is this: I just can't really picture myself riding too much of what is available out there in the market. While I do like the R NineT, I'm not so fond of the price. I've seen one in person, but only in passing, I haven't really had a chance to really get a good look at it. I did think that it looked better in person than in the photos I've seen. When I went to look at the Bonnies a few years ago, I somehow found myself more drawn to the Street Triple. I'm not sure what that was all about but in the end I just couldn't picture myself really taking advantage of that bike. I had also considered the Aprilia Shiver at one point, but the draw wasn't strong enough. Other than the R NineT, there isn't too much really catching my eye. I do like the lines of the Moto Guzzi V7, but I'm not attracted the the overall package enough that I could see myself purchasing one. Of the bikes soon-to-be-released, the new SV650 is probably the one that I could possibly see myself owning and actually enjoying (not surprising as it largely follows the basic recipe defined by the Hawk GT). So at this point while a number of bikes have caught my eye, I guess that there really isn't too much out that I could honestly see myself purchasing. I still catch myself spending more time looking at older bikes than I do the new ones.

Thank goodness the CB1100 came along, lol.
 
I went without a bike (for 10 years) until the CB1100 was released stateside. Previous was 750 Nighthawk. They are in a separate class not comparable to anything else. Even Goldwings aren't the same. Designs can modify slightly over time, but the basic motorcycle design Honda developed in the 60s is the ideal IMHO. Old BSAs & Triumphs were close, but your basic bend over and my back can only last 10-15 miles is not what cruising is about. Siting up tall enjoying the scenery, smells, and ....

'like saying if steak didn't exist, I'd eat chicken. That's probably a choice, starvation isn't, but going without the bike was a choice (until it was morphed again). For some, I know, going without (a bike) isn't a choice. Patience will reward those who wait.
 
And if the VFR 800 didn't exist then maybe a GSX1400. If the GSX didn't exist .........

Oh no. In the fortieth iteration I ended up with a Prius. Or was it a Road King? AAAARGH!!!!!!!

Cheers
 
Didn't think it would be so I pulled the trigger on a Moto Guzzi Griso. Luckily I was able to recover and grab the CB.

Tough call otherwise; a newer V7 would probably get the nod today. But there are other bikes I'd certainly look at.

Today, maybe, just maybe, the Moto Guzzi 1400 California.
 
I have been absolutely in love with the Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring in Black...if I had gone a different route (and had a lot more money) and the CB didn't exist, I imagine that would be my dream bike.

...I'd also take one of each of the bikes you guys listed too :)
 
Back
Top