Icon Patrol 2 Boots

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Icon Patrol 2 Boots



I have been riding with these boots for a few months now. These are low/medium rise boots that are waterproof, snug and comfortable, not too rider-geek-looking, and uses the BOA Lacing System. Simply put: They are amazing. My ol' trusty high-mileage Pumas have been relegated to yardwork duties and I needed something as good or better. Enter: Icon Patrol 2.


Review:

Source: Icon Patrol 3 WP CE Boots - RevZilla

PROS:
[ul] [li]They are indeed waterproof. This was my most important requirement.[/li] [li]They are incredibly comfortable, at least for my sad feet.[/li] [li]I can walk and ride in them all day. Low rider's geek-gear appearance.[/li] [li]I think they look great.[/li] [li]Excellent ankle support.[/li] [li]Not too hot, not too cold in terms of comfort under various temperatures.[/li] [li]Incredibly durable and scuff resistant.[/li] [li]Probably the greatest surprise: Incredibly easy/fast to get on and off using the BOA Lacing System. When the boot is on, it ain't coming off. You'll lose your foot with the boot before losing the boot.
[/li][/ul]
CONS:
[ul] [li]Need to choose next size up from your normal expected size.[/li] [li]Colour selection is very limited.[/li] [li]Made in China, but so far build quality is holding up just fine.
[/li][/ul]
So not a heck of a lot to dislike thus far.
 
Thanks for posting.

Me likey. I only wear low/mid rise boots due to small foot with large calf. These look excellent. I really like the understated, sophisticated styling.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks for posting.

Me likey. I only wear low/mid rise boots due to small foot with large calf. These look excellent. I really like the understated, sophisticated styling.
Great.

It is easy to wear the pant leg hem over these so they appear like shoes. Because of the BOA Lacing System, it is one less fiddly thing to manage while preparing and unpreparing to ride.
 
Nice how does that BOA lacing system work?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Nice how does that BOA lacing system work?
There are ski, skate and roller blade boots that have used a similar system. I always wondered, until recently, why it could not apply to motorcycle footwear?

So rather me trying a feeble attempt at it, these videos may help:


and

 
so you put your foot in, push the dial and then crank the dial to tighten. Then squeeze the dial to release?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
so you put your foot in, push the dial and then crank the dial to tighten. Then squeeze the dial to release?
Essentially ...

To lace:

* Push dial
* Turn until :) with comfort

To unlace:

* Pull (pop, not squeeze) dial
* Open boot tongue as you would normally

- - -

Overall, it is maybe 30 times faster than traditional lacing and arguably more reliable.
 
ok thanks, the loosening part wasn't clear in the vid, it looked like they were squeezing it from the sides.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
ok thanks, the loosening part wasn't clear in the vid, it looked like they were squeezing it from the sides.
I can see why one may think that from the flick.

Yes, just pop by pulling away from the boot. The boot tongue just seems to spread open almost naturally - no fussing with traditional laces to get them open well enough, especially if your foot/sock is damp with water or swollen from heat/sweat.
 
Thread starter
So, this is pretty amazing:

I ordered a pair of spare BOA Lacing Kits from the Colorado office and they arrived in just two calendar days - and they were ordered on a Sunday.

Not only that, they were only $7 each, including shipping. That is pretty darn good comin' out of 'merica. Impressive, really.

I have the same system on my ice skates too, which are about 10 years-old. Not doing all those laces on the skates makes everything that much more enjoyable.

 
We used the boa system on wakeboard boots 15 years ago. Good in concept but we found it to be a little restrictive, was hard to get them loose enough sometimes. But was easier than laces or clips in the water.
 
Thread starter
Cobalt23_imp said:
We used the boa system on wakeboard boots 15 years ago. Good in concept but we found it to be a little restrictive, was hard to get them loose enough sometimes. But was easier than laces or clips in the water.
Was it possible the laces were cut too short?

This Icon model almost says, "Opening wide my friend.".

I have a wide foot, so the tongue has gotta open wide without fuss.
 
Hey takahit, welcome to this forum.
What bike do you ride, can we see some pics of it?
 
You know I thought it was a scammer but he joined the forum 4 months ago and has made another post about getting a key made. Not really sure where a bot comes from or if it's detrimental to the forum. If someone can tell me, that would be great and i would know whether he needs banning or not.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You know I thought it was a scammer but he joined the forum 4 months ago and has made another post about getting a key made. Not really sure where a bot comes from or if it's detrimental to the forum. If someone can tell me, that would be great and i would know whether he needs banning or not.
Q: why is someone is banned, his name is crossed only, not completely removed?
 
Back
Top