I tried but I couldn't do it.

hb9400_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Thought if I made the move to the CB1100, it would be the 1 bike in the stable. Even contemplated moving to the Deluxe as others have but couldn't justify the difference so after almost a year of ownership I ended up adding 2 others to the stable, the same models I had traded in to get the CB1100 with. Thankfully there are many excellent deals that you can make on them. All 3 offer a distinct experience enough to enjoy. Glad I'm not the only one that has experienced this........

 
If you ever start to question your decision to add two motorcycles when your goal was to have one, hop on over to hondahoarder's thread where he shares with us his latest addition to the hoard. I counted twelve motorcycles! As you know, there are others on this forum who have four, five, six bikes. If I had the means and the space, I'd likely join them. I wonder though, at some point, do you start to lose the connection between yourself and your motorcycle. Do they become just more stuff that you own? Obviously, I don't know the answer to that and suspect it differs from person to person.

Regardless of my philosophical musings, congrats to you on getting back the bikes you wanted! It seems clear that you had enough of a connection with them that you brought them back home. What is the red one? A Versy's? Looks interesting and fun.
 
Congrats .. I have 2 buddies that count the Versys as one of the best bikes they have ever owned. The 2015 LT looks especially nice.

MG personally speaking I have had as many as 6 at one time and although I loved everyone of them, and even as much as I ride, keeping 6 motorcycles running and ready to be ridden daily is like juggling jello. It's just about impossible. I am down to 3 now and it's still difficult getting all their fair share of road time not to mention all the maintenance. I'm thinking about dropping it down to 2. I keep detailed daily logs for riding and maintenance. I can tell you the last time I rode my ST was Feb 15 th and I rode it 37 miles. The CB was last ridden Feb 8 and I rode it 47 miles. The Majesty Jan 19 for 64 miles. I would have ridden the Majesty later but it's over due for an oil and filter change and it's too dang cold in the garage to do it. That means the Majesty hasn't been ridden in 46 days. It's not good for motorcycles to sit around. Hopefully next week the Majesty will get it's oil changed and all will be back on the road.I don't know how guys like HondaHoarder, Capo or Tink do it.
 
We were up to 5 a few years back and it all got to be too much trying to keep up with maintenance. If motorcycling was our only pastime having 5 or 6 bikes would not be a problem but with other interests in archery, photography, bird watching, hunting, fishing and more, 2 are plenty to look after.
 
The C50 and the Versys give you plenty of options for ADV, sport, and cruiser scenes. You might have to get a scrambler or a Goldwing to round out the options ;)
 
I had 3 plus multiple dirt machines at one point, but sold two of my Honda Cruisers that were very similar 750 Shadow and 1100 Sabre, and used the proceeds to purchase the 2013 CB1100. My other remaining bike is a 2009 250 dual sport. None of my rides are very far in distance so the 1100 and 250 suit my needs nicely now, and I was able to sell off my dirt-only machines as well. I found that when I had so many, one or two was bound to be sitting for too long depending on my riding fancy. Now if I were to retire in 4-5 years and have a lot more time on my hands? That could be a danger zone... :biker:
 
hb9400_imp said:
Thought if I made the move to the CB1100, it would be the 1 bike in the stable. Even contemplated moving to the Deluxe as others have but couldn't justify the difference so after almost a year of ownership I ended up adding 2 others to the stable, the same models I had traded in to get the CB1100 with. Thankfully there are many excellent deals that you can make on them. All 3 offer a distinct experience enough to enjoy. Glad I'm not the only one that has experienced this........



Well. I see the problem. You must be too close to the situation or you would have realized the problem is your CB1100 is red so you had to go and buy a black bike. You should have written me first for advice, it would have cost you less money.
 
Thread starter
I'm glad you guys "get it", have to say when it comes to bike forums, I've enjoyed this the most by far. Each of these bikes has an interesting story.

The Honda CB1100 has all of Honda's CB heritage rolled up and takes me back to my previous bikes over the years (CB400F, "Suzuki" GS750EC, CB750C & 750 Nighthawk) She's the corvette I'll never own and each time I take her out I think of Honda's official video
. The only thing that might have come close to taking her spot would have been if Suzuki had decided to bring out a replica of the Wes Cooley GS1000S.

The VStar 950T started out being an attempt at having a bike that my wife would be comfortable as a passenger on. For a midsize cruiser I think Star/Yamaha nailed the design. It's a Road King without the muscle. If you want to leisurely ride somewhere and not try to carve twisty roads or you want to attend a bike week rally and putter around with the crowd this works. At the moment this is the bike we would take trips on.

The Versys can be best described as the bike that won't go away. I've never been a fan of Kawasaki, in the 70s their bikes were the hooligans of speed but notorious for handling. I thought I would never own one but in '08 I saw the Versys at the motorcycle show and was just blown away by it. Something about the headlight design, the neutral riding position, having a good size gas tank, triple disc brakes and all in a 400 lb package and of course the red color was the finishing touch.
I was at first cynical about a parallel twin design and having to deal with issues of a water cooled engine but I had to do it so we bought one new back in '08.

After having it for a short time it was a love/hate relationship. I loved riding it, although it sounded like a sewing machine, the power for the bike worked well and it's extremely flick-able for a nice ride. The hate part is the 33.1 seat height. Having a 30" inseam and being 5'8" makes the bike just tall enough to make stopping a thought process and the pillion's height annoys my wife. Getting a low gel seat did help to a degree but over a 7 year period we have bought 6 models of the '08. Not once has any of bikes been down or had mechanical problems, it was just the inner struggle of trying to deal with its quirks. Also the first year of the bike the insurance classified it as a sport bike so the insurance was double comparable cruiser so we'd keep one for about 6-10 months then flip it and I'd miss it after about 6 months and start window shopping and another would wind up back in the garage and all 6 have been the '08 red model. It took about a year for the insurance companies to get the classification sorted out to a more reasonable cost.

They redesigned it in '10 changing the headlight look that I was first drawn to and while the new model has some very nice changes I'm not a fan of the Ninja front end look or the green / white colors. Brand loyalty is great but you need to judge each new model on its merits and not who makes it, you may find that your favorite bike is not what you expect at all but a quirky bike that has done surprising well in all parts of the world. Yes I would have to say the Versys has been my surprisingly favorite over the years and it only works better the more "farkles" you add. :)
 
My one Versys nut buddy Jnor is also about 5'8" and he puts a lowering kit on his. I think he's had 3 or 4 of them, but he likes the green ones. I can find the name of it for you, but I'm sure you probably belong to the Versys forum and its a popular mod over there
 
Here's a Versys lowering link. http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Versys-650_c2.htm

Just raise the forks in the triple clamps an equal amount and you're golden.
The only down side to lowering is the side stand will now be too long. On the V-strom I've corrected this by grinding the forward stop away about 1/4 inch, allowing the side stand to swing forward enough to bring the lean angle back to near the stock angle.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys, motowerk is a company started by a guy name Speedy that bought an '08 from the beginning. His machinist skills have created a nice gig for him. Others have used his lowering kit but I've been going with the Kawasaki Low Gel Seat. When I traded for the CB1100 I held on to the seat but after a few months I sold it to try and break Versys habit to no avail :). It's an annoyance but not a necessity. Working on my list of farkles as we speak. I just bought the flat foot, handlebar riser and gps mount from him and bought the Givi trunk bracket so I can swap the V46 between the Versys and the CB1100.

If I were a Kawi fan and partial to green "kermit" that would be the color of choice. Thankfully the green they use is actually pretty but I guess my Honda roots show as the red to me is the color. It's funny how '08 has been the only year the Versys has come out in red. If anyone is considering looking for a bike to do some touring with and doesn't want to deal or spend the $ on a GW, take a look at the Versys 1000 LT. While the inline 4 engine to me takes away from the nimbleness that the 650 offers, their price isn't out of line and I have to say they did a better design job on the 1000 than the 650.
 
Yes, the 1000 Versys LT is a bike that could possibly replace my ST someday if the seat height wasn't over 33"..booooo
 
Thread starter
A close friend bought his '08 2 weeks after seeing my 1st '08. He still has it and has put over 40k miles on it with most of it being ridden in the north Georgia mountains. It has been incredibly reliable for him. He bought an FJR1300 about a year ago but is trying to decide if the V1K will replace it and his V. Kawi was smart enough to keep the seat height 33.1" the same as the 650 since a custom lowered seat has been a good option for those of us height deprived and it's showing on the forums as some current owners are starting to upgrade to it and are raving about it. I'm looking forward to his upgrade if he does it or even if he decides to just replace his V with the new V.
 
Thread starter
No more Versys, it found a very nice home yesterday. Putting miles on 3 bikes is more challenging than I thought. Any time I wanted to ride with the wife it was on the 950 so my solo time was between the CB1100 and Versys and it didn't take too long to realize I was gravitating more and more to the CB1100 so what was the point in keeping the Versys in the garage when it could find a home to be ridden more. The new buyers (Dan & Sarah) are a hoot and it was nice to meet up with someone who flipped more bikes than I have. I hope Sarah gets many enjoyable miles from the V.
 
Had to be a tough decision. The Versys is a nice bike.

It is tough getting miles on numerous bikes. i've had up to 6 at one time and another hassle is maintenance. With multiple bikes it seems like one is always needing an oil change, tires, brakes etc
 
Less bikes = less work = more riding ?
 
I believe the N+1 formula is correct.
Convincing the wife a long running "discussion'.
For me the key has been to get motorcycles that are totally and completely different in as many ways as possible.
Love the sport tourers, rode them many years and they are still my favorites as a "go to" for when you wanna go and got to get there - at least before I found the CB again. Got tired of being surrounded by tupperware.
Indian making a solid cruiser, when Scouts start appearing on the used market might have to try one. The prices of the new (stripped in my opinion) before adding any wanted farkles is outrageous.
Currently have the CB plus a sidecar rig and trying to decide between a small (250cc) dual sport or a Rokon for the woods near my cabin. Heart says Rokon and brain says dual sport. Never been known for my brains.
 
Even with the V gone, you have two solid, and different, bikes.

I moved back to VA 2 years ago, but lived down your way (Woodstock) for 8 years.
 
Back
Top