Hypothetical Question

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
If you planned to never sell your CB1100, and planned to continue to ride it approximately 6k miles per year, every year for a long as possible (maybe 15 or 20 more years), and you do all of your own maintenance, what parts would you buy and put on a shelf in your garage for safe keeping so that you would have them when you needed them (believing that the chance of finding a part that you need to keep you bike running in 15 years is no longer available). This is a serious question (I have stock-piled parts for my 1998 VFR800). Thanks.
 
NONE, I deal with the problems as these come = worry free..what would happen if...
6K x 15 yrs = only 90 K
:)
 
Normal maint items.. Spark plugs, air cleaners, brakes pads, chain and sprockets
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I wonder if good 18” tires will ever become hard to procure.
Even if they did become hard to source, what are you going to do, leave them in your garage to dry up over the next ten years?

I don't think I'd be willing to slap ten-year-old rubber on my CB, especially when the tires are as tall and skinny as ours are.
 
Oil filters. The rest, meh, I tend to sell, crash or choose the wrong bits and they never get used.

Your mileage may vary. :)
 
I have common maintenance items on the shelf (spark plugs, filters...), not because they may become hard to find, but mostly because I buy lots of them when they're on sale.

I plan on keeping my CB1100 indefinitely and can't think of any parts that would become unobtainable in the foreseeable future.

I'm still riding my 25 year old CB750 and have never had any problem getting parts. Just a few months ago I needed an oddball rubber fuel tank damper. I thought it might be difficult to find (weird rubber parts are usually the first to disappear), but I found they were readily available at the usual OEM parts houses. The only thing that I've found to be unobtainable for my old CB750 are the plastic body parts (i.e. side covers, tail).
 
I always bought body parts for my bikes , most other parts can be bought for a long time as they are often shared with other bikes .
I had the same rubber grips on my 79/80 CBX's and on my 94/95 CB 1000's and even the same grips on my CB 1100's !
Side covers, tanks , exhaust and fenders come to mind to put away.
 
Oil has limited shelf life while in the plastic container. Ideally, one could buy oil on sale in bulk and store in glass carboys - it will keep much longer. But I store oil only because when I decide to do the change, I want to do it at that moment and oil must be immediately available (before the rain comes down on the backyard patio).

Filters: Like others, because they go on sale.

But overall, none of these are critical to stock (unless there is armageddon). Plugs can always be cleaned, re-gapped up to a point. Arguably, you could cycle through a few sets of plugs over the years and maybe forever.

Maybe arguably, select tools that fit the bike perfectly should always be available (because, by no fault of ours, tools do go missing).
 
Thread starter
I was thinking: (all OEM parts)
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Master cylinder and brake caliper rebuild kits
Valve Cover gasket
All engine seals
Fork Seals and bushings
Grease seals for swing arm and steering head
Steering head bearings
Wheel bearing seals
Throttle cables
Exhaust gaskets
Brake pads
 
I think the parts that would not be available or have acceptable substitutes would be the things like throttle position sensors/mass airflow sensors, ABS sensors etc. those were the things unobtainable on my '86 Wing Aspencade SEI. It is the electronic magic s... that changes rapidly and becomes unobtainable.

I have not yet had to dig into my CB to find those bits, but as sure as taxes the manufacturing and design engineers have built in some obsolescence.

Sorry, I am a little jaded. I am going through the search for a replacement car that is not loaded with electronic with bloat wear.
jim
 
Good one DV. I will add: Any signal lenses. Heck, if vandalism is an issue, a spare instrument cluster ... but I think that would be extreme. Maybe easier to own a second CB (wreck?) for parts.
 
VLJ_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
I wonder if good 18” tires will ever become hard to procure.
Even if they did become hard to source, what are you going to do, leave them in your garage to dry up over the next ten years?

I don't think I'd be willing to slap ten-year-old rubber on my CB, especially when the tires are as tall and skinny as ours are.
Even if they did become hard to source, what are you going to do, leave them in your garage to dry up over the next ten years?

I don't think I'd be willing to slap ten-year-old rubber on my CB, especially when the tires are as tall and skinny as ours are.
I know, that’s why I was wondering. Can’t stockpile tires.
 
Thread starter
tinboatcapt' pid='226386' dateline='1546500189 said:
I think the parts that would not be available or have acceptable substitutes would be the things like throttle position sensors/mass airflow sensors, ABS sensors etc. those were the things unobtainable on my '86 Wing Aspencade SEI. It is the electronic magic s... that changes rapidly and becomes unobtainable.


Honda has sold probably two-hundred times (or more) the number of Gold Wings than CB1100's. How many years has the gold wing been on the market, about 40? There's a lot more incentive for Honda to keep a good supply of Gold Wing parts in their store rooms than there is for CB1100s. I am sure there are a lot more after-market manufacturers selling Gold Wing replacement parts than there are CB1100 parts. Also, the supply of used Gold Wing parts through either salvage yards or private owners will be much better. My point is, I think that in 15 or 20 years from now it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find replacement parts for the CB1100.
 
Dave_imp said:
tinboatcapt' pid='226386' dateline='1546500189 said:
I think the parts that would not be available or have acceptable substitutes would be the things like throttle position sensors/mass airflow sensors, ABS sensors etc. those were the things unobtainable on my '86 Wing Aspencade SEI. It is the electronic magic s... that changes rapidly and becomes unobtainable.


Honda has sold probably two-hundred times (or more) the number of Gold Wings than CB1100's. How many years has the gold wing been on the market, about 40? There's a lot more incentive for Honda to keep a good supply of Gold Wing parts in their store rooms than there is for CB1100s. I am sure there are a lot more after-market manufacturers selling Gold Wing replacement parts than there are CB1100 parts. Also, the supply of used Gold Wing parts through either salvage yards or private owners will be much better. My point is, I think that in 15 or 20 years from now it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find replacement parts for the CB1100.
Fortunately, many non-heat parts can be 3D printed even today. Electronic parts: I think there will be workarounds available, and/or used originals that are exact or very close. Programming software, if required, could be an issue. Casted/machined parts can be salvaged or replicated for a price.

Regarding 3D printed parts: If one does not have some sort of original or reversed engineered CAD drawing, then 3D laser scans today can do the job down to 7 um detail and the data imported into CAD software for finessing and final print.
 
Sales numbers aside, I think consumable parts will remain available from Honda for quite some time. I could easily find NOS engine parts, filters, seals, gaskets, points, bearings, etc. for my 1970 CB750 in the late-1990's, and today I still see NOS parts available from Honda for early-1970 CB350's and even the slow-selling 1978 CB750 Automatic. Gas tanks, side covers, and exhausts? Nope, not so much, but engine parts, seals, rings, carb kits, gaskets? Absolutely. No worries.
 
Sounds like by traditional means, as well as those who use modern technology to re-create parts should not be a cause for concern for Forum members riding well into their 100K to 200K mileage years.
 
Back
Top